Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from my subframe question, it seems that the Givi PL rack system could be used to secure either some Givi panniers, or I could butcher them and use them to fit my MASSIVE Project VND panniers to the TA: very well made, very strong, very big, but then also very heavy once fitted!!

I don't think SW motech do a set for the TA600....

Has anyone ever fitted them and if so, what are they like?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think Grendel has some fitted to his steed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 97 Alp came with a Givi rack fitted, but i've only used them for the National last year. I didn't have Givi panniers so i bolted on a Shad plate so that my exisiting Shad panniers would fit. I had no problems with them, but it's not like i've done a real test.

As for other makes, Touratech do make a set for the 600, which i ordered on May 17th since i've also got a set of Metal Mule panniers that i'd prefer to use on the Alp if i go for another long trip.

Needless to say the 7-10 day delivery didn't transpire, and despite me chasing every week i still don't know if they have them and if/when they would deliver them to me.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
I've got some Givi racks, not sure what model, I'd be happy to post a couple of specific pics if you want, and others might illuminate on the model. I only have plans for soft luggage as my trips will be in days not weeks (or even hours not days:()so keeping the racks to avoid those melty melty moments;)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers, Shack.

Photos would be great if you have the time!! No major rush: but I hope to have this sorted before my July trip to France!!

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Hi warthog are these any use ,I don,t have the Transalp any more.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
I may be slow at times, but I do get there in the end.
Hope there of use.
Looks like I might need to wash it again, sometime.......... soon........maybe;)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi warthog are these any use ,I don,t have the Transalp any more.
Thanks for the offer, but a whole wingrack is probably overkill for me.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may be slow at times, but I do get there in the end.
Hope there of use.
Looks like I might need to wash it again, sometime.......... soon........maybe;)
Thx for the pics.
I've seen the racks on sale in the flesh. They look sturdy, but not as sturdy as yours!!

They don't have the cross bar to start with. I would only have the E21 panniers, but they could still weigh some if loaded!

I might need to consider making my own crossbar!!

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
I've been told the cross member is mainly of use if your going to on the rough (reduce the flexiing) and you can prob cope on the black quite happily with out it, but it should be easy enough to fabricate something yourself (I think I've seen some bodges on the sub forum)
If you make your own do post a pic.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi

I have the Kappa pannier kit including the E21's. They are sturdy and come with the cross bar which joins them and is also attached behind the number plate. I also have the touring resivour of a scottoiler behind the number plate so I dont use the cross bar.

Hope this helps

Graeme

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Following on from my subframe question, it seems that the Givi PL rack system could be used to secure either some Givi panniers, or I could butcher them and use them to fit my MASSIVE Project VND panniers to the TA: very well made, very strong, very big, but then also very heavy once fitted!!

I don't think SW motech do a set for the TA600....

Has anyone ever fitted them and if so, what are they like?

I've got a set fitted to mine (PL131?..I think) ...they're fine....don't look like any of those in the pictures though.
Sounds like they're the ones you've seen.
Equal distance either side of the bike. so there's space on one side to put a folding chair or tool tube...not sure about both but I'm gonna try soon.

I've got E21 panniers..just right and not too wide.

Good fitting kit with them.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got a set fitted to mine (PL131?..I think) ...they're fine....don't look like any of those in the pictures though.
Sounds like they're the ones you've seen.
Equal distance either side of the bike. so there's space on one side to put a folding chair or tool tube...not sure about both but I'm gonna try soon.

I've got E21 panniers..just right and not too wide.

Good fitting kit with them.
Ha!

Virtually the same set-up. I just took collection of my E21s. Cheeky shop actually ordered Kappa ones.

Same factory, same everything, just a Kappa logo and a blue key: still feel a bit cheated, though (the marketing machine has corrupted me!!!).

I have a folding stoll and hope to secure it under the top box. I have a tool tube under the rack and have a home made one attached to one of the racks. Between the two, I should be able to carry all the tools I need!!

As for the rest, apart from my stool, I think I'll be able to store everything in luggage: no roll bags this time (amazing!!)...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts