Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all. Just wondering if any of you knowledgeable gentlemen can enlighten me. My TA600 pops a LOT on decel, sounds like a bloody AK47. Makes children cry, gives heart palpitations to the elderly, makes the residents of posh villages show me their middle fingers. I'm running an aftermarket exhaust and have swapped the stock pilot jets (38) for 40s as my color tune was showing a weak blue flame even with mixture screws completely out. I understand popping is mainly caused by an air leak which I'm pretty sure is not the case here. I've rebuilt and reset the carbs- they are perfect, also resealed the airbox with an PU sealer. Just wondering if the popping can be caused by pilot jets being still too small? Thanks in advance, Dave

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mines got aftermarket Micron..don't know what jets..when it does pop ! I run fuel injection cleaner for tank full and it improves it a lot, but still there a bit..bike runs great otherwise with correct colour plugs and lovely MPG etc...Forte is a good one.. although dearer ££

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
492 Posts
Could be an air leak to the exhaust, at the outlet port/downpipe connection or downpipe/link pipe or link pipe/silencer connection. My AT has a bit of deceleration popping which I put down to a slight air leak at the downpipe/link pipe connection, evident when I replaced the OE system with Arrow downpipes (2-1) connected to a Remus link pipe and silencer (the OE system never popped, it had a good gasketed connection at the downpipe/silencer interface). No gasket can be fitted at the Arrow/Remus join as it's a very close fit, so I got some exhaust paste to seal it but still haven't applied it 9 yrs later.... I guess this is because the bike was and still is running very well, with plug colour just right and good fuel consumption.
I don't have time to go into the reasons why an air leak causes popping on overrun, but Googling it should locate the technical info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be an air leak to the exhaust, at the outlet port/downpipe connection or downpipe/link pipe or link pipe/silencer connection. My AT has a bit of deceleration popping which I put down to a slight air leak at the downpipe/link pipe connection, evident when I replaced the OE system with Arrow downpipes (2-1) connected to a Remus link pipe and silencer (the OE system never popped, it had a good gasketed connection at the downpipe/silencer interface). No gasket can be fitted at the Arrow/Remus join as it's a very close fit, so I got some exhaust paste to seal it but still haven't applied it 9 yrs later.... I guess this is because the bike was and still is running very well, with plug colour just right and good fuel consumption.
I don't have time to go into the reasons why an air leak causes popping on overrun, but Googling it should locate the technical info.
Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts