Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening chaps and chapettes. Just took the carb to bits to get ultrasound cleaned. Typically, I didn't mark the front and rear carb slider needles. Are they different? If so are there any markings on them? Thanks all, Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good evening chaps and chapettes. Just took the carb to bits to get ultrasound cleaned. Typically, I didn't mark the front and rear carb slider needles. Are they different? If so are there any markings on them? Thanks all, Dave
I also have a question regarding the carbs : what to get for high altitude regarding the carburator nozzles up to 4700 meters (Pamir) and 5700 meters (Khardung La Pass) and at what altitude would be a good place to change ?
And : do I also need to change the idling nozzle?
Or would you recommend a bike with FI ? I had hoped to keep my TA XL 650 though.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Yes, the needles are different (or certainly were on my old 2002 bike but Honda have a habbit of buggering about with small jetting changes between model years so maybe check your actual model), they have small markings around the top.
The bad news is, unless someone has a stock set of carbs that they don't mind pulling apart, you have next to no chance of finding out what is right, checking Honda part numbers would only confirm that they are different needles, I seem to recall the emulsion tubes are different front/rear too.

Check the part numbers for needles/emulsion tubes your model of bike first.

Good luck, I think you're going to need it.....

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
I also have a question regarding the carbs : what to get for high altitude regarding the carburator nozzles up to 4700 meters (Pamir) and 5700 meters (Khardung La Pass) and at what altitude would be a good place to change ?
And : do I also need to change the idling nozzle?
Or would you recommend a bike with FI ? I had hoped to keep my TA XL 650 though.
125 mains (down from 132) have proven to work well at low & moderate altitude (high passes in the Alps etc), wether they'd work at such high altitude is anyones guess - I'd think 125s & a drilled airbox lid would be a reasonable & workable compromise - remove tank & gaffer tape the airbox holes when back at reasonable altitude.
Believe me, yu really don't want to be pulling the carbs to swap jets at the side of the road.....

Pilots jets should be fine, a twiddle with the pilot screws at altitude is quick & easy.

As std, they are rich enough to start giving running problems at around 2500/3000m +

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the needles are different (or certainly were on my old 2002 bike but Honda have a habbit of buggering about with small jetting changes between model years so maybe check your actual model), they have small markings around the top.
The bad news is, unless someone has a stock set of carbs that they don't mind pulling apart, you have next to no chance of finding out what is right, checking Honda part numbers would only confirm that they are different needles, I seem to recall the emulsion tubes are different front/rear too.

Check the part numbers for needles/emulsion tubes your model of bike first.

Good luck, I think you're going to need it.....

Thanks! I took the carbs apart and in the heat of the moment and didn't even think about it. Stupid, as I had a similar experience with my Kwak Z550 in the past. So, the needles have B81O and B81E stamped on them which doesn't correspond at all with Honda part numbers. Do you think NRP will have more info? Not sure what to do apart from giving them a ring. Thanks

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
What model year bike is it (sticker on the frame rail under the seat) as those numbers do not sound familiar to mine, but it was some years ago.

I doubt nrp would have the info but maybe worth a call. Allans performance (genuine Keihin & mikuni carb parts) are another company that may be worth a call but again, I can't help thinking that these companys won't have where individual items are fitted to various models.

Maybe put a plea out to anyone that has an Alp in bits to pull the needles out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What model year bike is it (sticker on the frame rail under the seat) as those numbers do not sound familiar to mine, but it was some years ago.

I doubt nrp would have the info but maybe worth a call. Allans performance (genuine Keihin & mikuni carb parts) are another company that may be worth a call but again, I can't help thinking that these companys won't have where individual items are fitted to various models.

Maybe put a plea out to anyone that has an Alp in bits to pull the needles out?

It's a 2004 V4 model. I found NRP extremely helpful in the past, will give Allens a bell tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Edit;
A quick check on Lings shows the same emulsion tubes f & r throught the 650 model run.
The same needles were used in each f & r carb throught the model run too.

If nrp/Allens don't come up with anything, you could either;

Put the carbs back together & hope for the best/check the plugs & swap over if required.

Put a plea out for someone with a 650 Alp that is in bits to confirm needle location.
Or
Buy new needles from Honda & fit them as per the fiche!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Top man, thanks for that!

What is Lings by the way? The only reference for parts I've been using are the exploded diagrams on the honda website

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Lings are a UK based Honda dealership, it's quite handy using their fiches for part numbers, assembly, prices and availability.

I've seen others post about different sites that offer a similar function.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lings Honda are in Harleston, Norfolk.
They were the first UK Honda dealer apparently, and still a flagship importer of the motorcycle and machinery brand.
Very good service agent and highly regarded.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts