Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've been riding my trusty Transalp daily now for 12 months. It was time for a new Chain and Sprocket set. I removed everything that was required and gave it all a good clean. Fitted both Sprockets then re-assembled with the new chain. Had some problems with riveting the master link as they'd not included the right kind of rivet master link. So after removing this I joined it using the Clip link provided. Aligned my back wheel, checked, triple checked the alignment but the chain seems to be snaking from left to right quite a bit... tried moving the chain rail plastic to see if it was this stopping it from running smoothly but nope.... My only thoughts are,

• Have i twisted the chain / damaged it whilst having problems riveting the master link
  • Have i missed something in the wheel assembly which would put the sprockets out of line?
  • Is the chain just badly manufactured and needs sending back...
At a bit of a loss... Any help of ideas much appreciated :) Here's a video of it.
>>>>>>https://youtu.be/2cBHI2bzUA4 <<<<<<<<<
It's not running in a straight line.... I also ran the engine and gently took it up the gears and i didn't like the sound when it got to higher speeds....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just whilst I'm doing this, does this look like a normal amount of movement? This is the front Sprocket before i took it off. Upon inspection the splines looked OK, I know it's supposed to move a little but this does look like a lot of free-play to me...

https://youtu.be/tvv3YjrZSv0

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure the rear sprocket is the right way round. The writing is facing the front, and it's bolted on properly...I'll take pictures of the whole set-up and post tomorrow. Been racking my brains , only other thing i can think of is that the front sprocket is on the wrong way, but i replaced it the same way the old one was on...

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Whilst it might not be the reason, looking at the sideways movement of your front sprocket in the second video, I would fit a repair sprocket to the front to help stave off future issues the the teeth wearing more.
Can't remember the link to the wider sprocket, I'm sure someone can post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you mean one of these kind of things >https://kkbike.it/en/sprockets/142-honda-xlv600650700-transalp-fsprocket-superpinion-8053830250130.html

With the new sprocket on there is a lot less movement now. I know the splines on the front sprocket it a common problem with this bike. Had the whole problem with a BMW f650 before and it cost be hundreds of pounds...eventually got rid of the thing...

Have you had any experience with these repair type front sprockets. Do they really solve this problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just looking for confirmation that i've Installed both Sprockets on the correct way. thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi...The front sprocket IS the wrong way round...should have the large protrusion on the outside with the size stamp..ie 15T showing...but your video also shows a very large runout on the rear sprocket. You can see the chain moving about a good 3mm from side to side...maybe a cush drive problem inside..cush bearing or rubbers...

Also have a look at the front sprocket retainer teeth as they wear out and you get excessive in out movement in the slot...they cost about £13 quid for original Honda part...and when the teeth wear out completely the sprocket can slide off the shaft cause very nasty danger to the RIDER and engine.

Hopefully you have no wear on the drive shaft part that's driving...ie rotational movement on that new sprocket

Just see you last posting !....BUY THAT KK SUPER SPROCKET...then you will not need the new retainer, and never have the wear problem....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grand, thanks. Not sure how i got that wrong. Perhaps the original sprocket was on the wrong way before too, a little worrying... Splines looked OK but will look at getting a new retainer clip ,then next time go for a super sprocket...Riding most days all year round, the winter was quite brutal on the chain even though i kept it well lubed and as clean as i could. Might be a yearly thing replacing the chain and sprockets.... Will take some pictures when i change the front sprocket round. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
It's the side to side movement I'd be concerned about (along with the orientation of the front sprocket), it looks to be coming from the rear sprocket, spin it again and look where the side movement is coming from. It needs sorting as it should run true.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Get a stand, a tripod, anything. Stand it near the rear sprocket.
sellotape, strap, whatever a piece of metal, a bent coat hanger etc.
Stick it to the tripod and have the other end just touching the rear sprocket; a cheap dial gauge if you will :)

Turn the wheel and see if a gap appears between the pointer and sprocket. If gap appears, problem with rear sprocket fitting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hi Thanks for all the advice so far. Tried re-fitting the front sprocket the correct way round today. Then the chain back on, (didn't rivet just in case) and a good job i didn't as the chain is still snaking from left to right. When I re-looked at my previous front Sprocket it looks like it was on the wrong way! Which is strange as my chain always seemed to align correctly before. So here's where I am in my thinking. Either

>I've bent the chain too much previously trying to rivet a Solid rivet link with the wrong tool
>As Windmill john suggest the rear sprocket isn't fitted properly. Though it looks and feels fine.
>Because the previous front sprocket (which i didn't fit) was the wrong way round it's had a deterimental effect on something in the rear wheel
or god forbid the actual Output shaft it'self.

As you guys mentioned before, I need to figure out where the sideways movement is coming from....Any further ideas or advice much appreciated

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Andy, in reference to the 'very large runout on the rear sprocket' are you talking about the gap between the rearsprocket and the swing arm? might try taking the rear wheel apart again and checking Cush drive's etc...

·
Registered
298 Posts
in reference to the 'very large runout on the rear sprocket....It's the sideways wobbly movement at the end of the teeth that you would get if the sprocket is bent or warped...should be next to nothing...have you sussed it out and found the problem ?...how about rotational slack in the cush drive as well ? is there any of that ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sussed yet, going to run some tests tomorrow after work. How would I test for rotational slack in the cush drive? I'm guessing if any of the rubbers were past their best then the rear sprocket would move away from the rear wheel when rotated...?

Going to also put my old chain back on to see if that line's up fine, hopefully this will shed light on whether i've knackered this new chain when trying to rivet a link the first attempt (they sent me a solid rivet link instead of a'soft' rivet link, not knowing they existed I tried to rivet it, thus breaking my rivet tool and maybe putting too much rotational pressure on the chain) Will update tomorrow...

·
Registered
298 Posts
How would I test for rotational slack in the cush drive?

Get the bike on some level ground...Get the rear wheel off the ground...hopefully you have a centre stand fitted.and stick it in gear ? " WITHOUT " the engine running...there should be no free movement between the sprocket and the wheel when holding the two and pushing and pulling each of them two in opposite directions both front to rear and sideways...." DO NOT " try to do this by leaning it's weight over on the side stand as you will drop the bike over...also a strong camping tent guy line rubber around the front brake lever holds the front brake on....feel for any slackness....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Chain> I put the old one back on and it seemed to line-up better
However i laid the new one on the ground and it doesn't seem to be bent...
however there are many links that are kinked so it doesn't sit flat
is it possible to bend a new chain out of line? I did put a fair bit of force on it when i was trying to rivet the wrong kind of link.

Cush Drives > there is no movement left-right or up to down, however there is
in and out. is this normal? I tried to access them but couldn't...

Rear wheel alignment test > The wheel and rear sprocket didn't seem
to be rotating exactly true. there was a little bit of discrepancy as
i rotated the wheel. made a rudimentary gauge as suggested there was a few millimetres movement...

Front Sprocket>The movement on the front sprocket, could this be causing the chain the snake?

Chain carrier>This does seem to be worn and leaning slightly to the right, could this be the root of the problem?
My old chain lined up fine before I took it off though...

I'm at loss really. Do I

> Buy another new chain to see if that's the problem £50+
> Take the bike to a mechanic, transport of the bike then labour costs could be hundreds of pounds that i don't have

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
it's a used bike so there will be some play in all the bits that move. i bet if you inspected any used bike you would find such things move?

cheapest option is to get a new chain and fit it, then see

1 - 20 of 26 Posts