Honda XRV Forum banner

For a TA700: which crashbasrs offer the best protection?

• Givi Crashbars

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • SW Motech Crashbars

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad has a TA700.

If he were to buy any further bits for it, he'd choose crashbars.

At the moment, the exchange rate is such that I could get him cheaper ones here. Eg Givi crashbars here are £110, as opposed to about £130 in the UK, ditto for SW motech.

So if he were to choose one of those, which would it be, in terms of the protection they give? Subjective I know, but experience is king when it comes to these types of accessories

Just to make it easier, I've added a simple poll.

Cheers.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
We seem to like polls here.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I have the Givi's - they rust easy even when cleaned and coated in protector etc as often as possible.

Then again - ive used them on 3 occasions and theyve not budged a bit, hardly marked when they do hit dirt and cover all areas of the front that could hit tarmac or dirt.

Looked at the Motechs and they seem to bolt onto brackets you have to attach to other frame parts which I dont think sounds as strong and they dont look to cover as much area of the bike either, low down is missing coverage. Probably great for dirt only through.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We seem to like polls here.
Yeah, I know!!

Guilty as charged, only I know this topic has been done to death, so I thought it would be less hassle for people to vote rather than type, again, what they've probably typed a dozen times already!

If I get a clear winner in a week's time, it makes my dad's choice a smidge easier.

(although, I'm hoping Givi win cos that means I can buy panniers, crashbars and pannier racks all from the same place and hopefully get a healthy discount on top of the healthy exchange rate!!:D :angel7:)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have givis on my 650, and they are built to last that is my choice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use Givi's but they do seem to be prone to rust. Fat-mal;)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've got the SW Motechs . Never tested them , hopefully never will , but they certainly seem to be substantial enough . The mounting points seem to be plenty solid enough too , and no signs of rust !

As you say , this subject has been done to death elsewhere .

I'm sure the Givis would do the job too though , so if there are bargains to be had by bulk buying with pannier stuff , then go for it - that may be a good enough reason to go for them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The Givi's are quite nice to rest your legs on when cruising, in a harley style, that surely makes them worth it alone?

If they rust I'll paint em, they are solid.

Note if you also want a belly pan crash guard thing only the Touratech one will fit with the Givi.

·
Transalp 700
28 Posts
Givi on mine, purchased for £116 a month back in the UK.

Just removed them today in about 5 mins flat, useful to get the belly skirt off.

A bit fiddly to fit, i.e. I found the front U-bolt/bracket difficult to fit the first time round, something slightly in the way if I remember rightly? I just left the bolt around the frame today when removing bars.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The SW Motech stockist could not guarantee delivery in time, so opted for the Givis that were on the shelf!!

About £90.

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Sorry for not voting on this - I can't !!

The best protection is offered by Touratech crashbars , but you have not given us an option for those.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for not voting on this - I can't !!

The best protection is offered by Touratech crashbars , but you have not given us an option for those.
I'm sure they're good but...

...not available over the counter here and almost twice the price of the competition!!

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
................ and almost twice the price of the competition!!
Yes thats the probelm here also !!!!

But they are very good quality.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was £90 post free for my Givi ones, and they do tend to rust a little but they are as solid as feck and will last the life of the bike no doubt. Might even have them Galvanised.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts