Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I did the fuel sender fix on my TA700, and I installed the fuel pump back into the tank, but now it keeps on leaking fuel from under the fuel pump mounting flange.

I have removed it again to ensure the rubber sleeve was properly inserted into the tank and that the rubber gasket over the bolt holes seats properly.

What am I missing?

TIA

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
You are supposed to change the rubber gasket every time you remove the pump. Maybe try and silicone the old one before you tighten up the bolts. New gasket( packing base) part number 17574MFFD00. It costs around £31

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
If your going to use a sealant make sure its ok to be in contact with petrol most silicone sealants aren't

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes that's right make sure. I have a faulty/stuck sender/float from the last time I took the fuel pump out to inspect. Even with the new packing base I struggled with leaks. I recently wanted to fix the problem and try and seal it but talked myself out of it

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you've inadvertantly done up the nuts on the pump sealing flange and the seal was slightly mis-placed, it can inwardly deform the sealing rim on the tank itself. As there's minimal compression between the seal and the tank at the best of times, any deformation of the rim will cause a major leak. With a large shifting spanner I carefully pulled the rim back out to where it should be, and eventually it sealed again. It was less than a millimetre out of flat...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I've had a similar problem with leaks after refitting the pump before. After much trial and error i found the following works well and i have done it again since with no problems always using the original rubber gasket.

Rather then fully seating the gasket to the pump (as it is when you take it off) pop the gasket off so the liitle rubber stalks are just through the holes. Not locked on/fully seated.

This gives you enough room between the pump and tank to make sure the seal/rubber gasket isn't distorted. You can then tighten the nuts bit by bit ocationally pulling the rubber stalks little by little through the pump plate. Doing this there was no need for sealent etc.

I hope this helps out.

Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts