Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off to Germany later this month. Looking at the headlamp reflector it appears to be "handed" for riding on the left - the pattern is subtly different from one side to the other. There is nothing in the manual to instruct how to convert/shield the beam for riding on the right.

Anyone done this or know definitively if UK TA's do have a headlamp beam aimed to the left? I expect the German police will be more rigorous with their road traffic law enforcement than we are ;)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If you want to be sure, ride you bike somewhere that has a large wall, of a uniform colour. Ride so the bike faces the wall head on (say 15-20 ft away) and put you lights on.

Keep the bike nice and vertical and look for any asymetry in the beam, particularly any light pools pointing down to the left....

If the beam is uniform, you should be OK.
Otherwise you need to buy those stick-on triangles from Halfords to stick on you lens, to obscure the are of the reflector that throws light off at that angle...

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
dont buy those things from Halfrauds insulation tape cut to the correct size does it just as well, i have seen plenty of motorists in ferry ports with rolls of tape doing their headlights before they leave england

·
Stop looking at my Member
265 Posts
You should find that you have an arrow on your lense pointing to the side of the throw, if you do then it is likely to be a biased lense.

Rode mine through Germany last summer, unless you are intending to do lots of night riding I trust no one will notice unless you've had a HID conversion. Keep some tape to hand but don't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm going over to France+Belgium soon and I wasnt going to bother because the beam on my TA700 doesnt seem to favour one side or the other (and I don't plan on any night riding).
Having said that, I can see that the 2 sides of the reflector inside the headlight are slightly different.
Also, I've got to admit though that I only checked the light spread from about 10 feet on a garage door.
Ian.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I live in Spain 5 months of the year, with my UK TA 700. Yes there is a throw off to the left, caused by the different shaped mirrors on the left side (as you look at it) of the reflector (the lens is irrelevant).

I don't have any conversion, it doesn't seem to bother anyone. As soon as you lean into a corner the offside goes up anyway.

The only way to do it would be as mentioned, park bike (upright) in front of a wall and play with some tape, you can work out roughly where by looking at the light from different angles until you are blinded by the extra 'mirror' on the left side, the bit of lens you are looking through at the mirror at that point will be roughly where the tape needs to be.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I don't trust the German equivalent of Highway Patrol to be lenient, so I'll find a wall and fiddle with shading the beam. I'll try to take some pics to post for others to use as a guide when I've found the right area on the lens!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts