Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Transalp 700
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what a day stripping the TA700 down and removing the valve covers!!
Valves now checked and adjusted, x4 of 8 loose, but no rebuild today, knackered/torn rubber gasket and 1 bolt to be ordered on Monday.

What a nightmare getting the covers actually out of the frame, then there's that friggin heat shield!!:(:mad:
At one point it looked like the engine out, lol.
Anyone else had the fun yet?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I've looked at the valve covers on my 600.... Looked and then stepped away carefully.

I don't fancy changing the front spark plug, let alone checking the valves on those things!!

Engine out does look at bit easier!!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The Front cover on the 650 is a nightmare as it is partially behind the down tube of the frame.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Willy - what mileage was your bike at?

just talked to my dealer today about wether many bikes have needed a lot of adjustment and he reckoned most need so little it wasnt worth the time required to do it - possibly enough to say they only need it checked at 8k and then at 24, ie instead of every 8k, just every 16k.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I checked mine at the 24000 mile service and again 6 months later when the bike was in bits for another problem and found that after the initial adjustment they were fine so I will wait for the rattle to return.

·
Transalp 700
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done 7,700 miles.
When I put the bike into the dealer @ 600 miles (first service-free) a while back, they told me they needed to check the valves, full day, from cold, etc, etc. Told me they had checked them and they had been Ok.
I'm not so sure they had checked them though, no markings on bolt heads, no minor cover scratches and the gasket glue around the half moon hadn't been broken.
I've spoken with another dealer, who confirmed it's a good part of his day, stripping them down.
There might be a few TA's out there, going unchecked on first service?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
That sounds right.

There was some arguments between dealers and honda re the first service cuz they dont get paid by honda for the entire time it takes to check the valves and most dealers offer it free. Now its a £50 charge for the 600 mile service as a token amount. Bet most still dont check them though. I honestly dont think its needed though, yours is yet another example of it not being needed. An experienced mechanic can listen to an engine and tell. I reckon at 8k and 20k would do followed by maybe 32?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine weren't done at the 600 mile so I've planned to do them at the 8k one. I'm sure when it gets to it (6.5k now) I will put it off till next time! The 24k sounds about right to me!!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I've looked at the valve covers on my 600.... Looked and then stepped away carefully.

I don't fancy changing the front spark plug, let alone checking the valves on those things!!

Engine out does look at bit easier!!
front plug is not too bad,did all 4 of mine and with the correct tool and a bit of patience its not a terrible job.
just go carefully,dont want stripped threads!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts