Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a lovely 2004 ducati multistrada 1000 for sale here for very handy money, I'm very tempted by it to be honest. I know if I sell the twin I'll regret it so can you help me out by dissuading me?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Think of the coming apocalypse.
The Cockroach Barons* will be riding Africa twins, the peasantry will be pushing Ducatis around.
I know which horse I would back.

Note *Nostradamus predicted that in 2043 cockroaches will be the global currency.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Italian and quality... (parked next to an aquarium, it will not start and the wheel bearing will break/make noise)
..on the other hand it's a 2004 and still exists :thumbup:

If you really want it I vote for two motorcycles as the second, 11 years old Italian, should be basically freebee.

Reactions: serious3

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Take it for a test ride then decide most I have heard rattle and in my opinion doesn't inspire confindence but like they say you only live once

·
Registered
225 Posts
it's all subjective but, to me, the Multistrada is just Ducatti cashing in on the ADV craze - there are better bikes out there, for less money - you've got one of them.

Would I trade the AT for a Multistrada? Nope. Maybe for a Panigale :p maybe.....

·
Registered
472 Posts
As stated test ride the ducati. Ride your at again. Decide then. What would get from the ducati the at doesn't give you?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Personally the Multistrada 1000ds is not my cup of tea due to the strange frontal look and the way the upper fairing turns with the handlebars,my mate has one and he's been all over europe on his and has had no problems whatsoever except regular maintenance (which is expensive,belt changes etc).It sounds like a bag of chisels when it's running and sounds like it's going to eject most of it's vital organs through the crankcase at any moment but it just keeps going.They have plastic tanks and i think there have been distortion issues to some due to the high ethanol content in modern unleaded but his seems o.k.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i spoke to the previous owner of said bike, he said he traded it in november for a newer version, he reckoned it was just starting to use oil which generally means that the valve guides are on the way out. Spoke to a trusted mechanic and he said not to bother! i just fancy a little more power thats all and i've always liked them. looks like i'll keep the twin:blob7:

·
Registered
281 Posts
There's a lovely 2004 ducati multistrada 1000 for sale here for very handy money, I'm very tempted by it to be honest. I know if I sell the twin I'll regret it so can you help me out by dissuading me?
Reliability.
Build quality
Best multi-purpose bike on this earth.
Then if you do get the notion the AT will still be chugging when the Ducati is an expensive repair job.
And compared to most Ducatis they got washed in the ugly bucket.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Have a look out for a 955i Tiger,there quite cheap now and go really well,i've got one and when i need a fix for speed from the A/T i jump on that.:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have a look out for a 955i Tiger,there quite cheap now and go really well,i've got one and when i need a fix for speed from the A/T i jump on that.:)
one round the corner from me, tried to buy it a few times..... bugger won't sell it though

·
Registered
37 Posts
Test drive is always a good tip. My opinion about Tiger is that the engine delivers but the controls/electronics feels like crap and gears roughly with some mileage through the gearbox.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
aprilia capanord 1000 look well very purposeful looking bike way way cooler looking that the multi strada sound good on stock cans I bet they are nice when let breath a bit better and a power commander I used to meet a rsv 1000 on the road while in a car with cans on it used to crack the window as you do it sounded ace . I wouldn't have a clue if they are trouble or the best thing since sliced bread . its just another model to consider . I would be inclined to stick with Honda and Yamaha myself . I had a go on a late model tdm 850 with a quill 2 into 1 can fitted it was pretty cool I was double clutching it , it sounded that good very powerfull breaks too same as an R1 I was only on a one lane back road and it wasn't as suited to those roads but I bet its nice out on the open road comfortable riding position and nice controls .

·
Registered
516 Posts
I was tempted by the Aprillia Capanord before i bought the Tiger but i heard they suffered from electrical gremlins especially the dash console which was a very expensive fix apparently, we met an italian guy on a full touring Capanord when we were in the Pyrenees this year and with a bit of broken english he said he had had some charging issues in the past but was very happy with it other than that, it did look a cracking bit of kit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I nearly traded my last ducati for a caponord.......the bloke with the caponord was vet very keen to get rid for some reason. I love the twin but just find it a little underwhelming power wise that's all.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I nearly traded my last ducati for a caponord.......the bloke with the caponord was vet very keen to get rid for some reason. I love the twin but just find it a little underwhelming power wise that's all.
Aye, that's really my only complaint as well - when I hop on the autobahn I miss the power of my old Breva - it turned what would have been a 2 day trip into a 1 day trip - but then if I wanted that extra power (and I do :p) I'd not be looking to the Multistrada for it - for me it's a GSA all the way - when I can afford it - but I'd keep the AT -

a GSA...or an RSV4R....or both....where's that lottery ticket?

Fireblade...

Damn it! I hate these threads :p

·
Registered
281 Posts
Loved my GSX 11 but theres more to bikes than power.
The AT could manage an extra 10 pony's
A KTM 950 would be an alternative to check out if you want to gone down that road,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts