Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello tall people :)

I'm wrestling with wind noise, the standard screen on the GS is rubbish and drives me mad with buffeting no matter what position it's in, no screen at all (the current option) is fairly quiet but sucks on the motorway, and I'd prefer not to have a huge goldwingesque barn door on the bike. ;-)

Screen technology ought to have progressed a fair bit since Herr BMW made the airhead boxer, so I'm wondering what you lot do for windscreens on your bikes that work well at keeping things reasonably quiet while keeping the wind pressure off your chest. Especially what type of windscreen: Long, short, very straight up or very laid back, height adjustable, upturned lip at the end, spoilers, wings, flaps, wotsits and whatnots, that kind of thing. :mrgreen:

Doesn't really matter if it's for a different bike, I'm looking towards something that can be bodged onto a slightly altered front end anyway. ;-)

·
Elefant rider
210 Posts
At 6.2" I am not the smallest person either. The only solution I found was the one you tried already. http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/82090-end-era.htmlshort screens. Had one on the trannie and now on the elefant as well and it is much quieter. But you are right, it is nothing for high speed. BTW I always drive with open mc helmet and with the right glasses it is perfect. I hardly ever drive faster than 140kmh. So for me that works well.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the standard screen on for years and only recently woke up to the fact that it drives me mad on long motorway stretches (which I suddenly seem to do a lot of). Getting a bluetooth intercom helped with that too, as it's pretty much useless over 100 kph.

So now I'm looking at the options. Some kind of screen would be comfortable for the high speed stretches, maybe I'll cut short my stock one so it's just a small spoiler keeping the wind off my chest but leaving my head in the breeze. Might work, might make it worse. But I figured I'd ask what's around and works well, as my screen is basically a piece of flat plastic stuck at an angle, and they really can do better nowadays. ;-)

That said, riding the bike with no screen does transform it on the backroads. It feels so much smaller and more nimble when all that junk in front of you is gone! So there's upsides as well. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
348 Posts
My Transalp is fitted with a skidmarkz higher screen- still U/S- so I got a spoiler/extension for 45 Euros from WITOMOTO in Poland. SORTED ! Sit comfortably at 80 nplus with flipup in the up position. Brilliant! Peter at Witomoto does different sizes (depth) of spoiler, I have gone for the max. Definitely worth a look. Another option is the MRA screen with spoiler, but very expensive. Hope this is of help to you.
Les

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skidmarx is one I hadn't seen yet (and still haven't as the images don't seem to work on their site!) but at least they're priced such that one can try something without being horrendously out of pocket if it doesn't work. Which is the main thing keeping me from just ordering one of the many offerings at usually 150+ a pop...

Witomoto, that's the guy at witomoto.blogspot.com? Looks interesting.

·
Registered
348 Posts
A criticism I would have of the Skidmarx screen is that it has no "Flip-up" at the top, allowing the wind to be directed straight at the visor. I am 5'7" and have a lowered seat. (The bike, not me!) I would guess that you are taller, so may suffer more from windblast. Oh yes, Skidmarks Quote "Make to order" unquote. Took about 3 weeks to get mine. The Witomoto is really well made and does it for me. Hope you find an acceptable solution to make your riding less of a chore! Happy Trails ! Les

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I have tried quite a few variations over the years the quietest being the Transrat - naked or low screen but worst weather protection the worst being various tall touring screens for noise but offer the best protection.
I have settled on an mra which falls somewhere between the two but not ideal or good value.......
Ironically, if I "shrug" my shoulders wind noise almost vanishes.
Without doubt wind noise is the single biggest downside to my motorcycling enjoyment.
The adhesive skirts that you put around base of the helmet helps a little & I have wondered wether a Shoe wisper kit could be made to fit the Arai?

Atill searching for THE answer.....

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
My 1150 has the GSA screen fitted with tobinators set to full height and a slight backwards tilt, a aerotrim spoiler and rugged roads winglets.

Nice and quiet :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S
Please enlighten me, what are these Tobinators?
They seem to be a "GS thing", the word keeps cropping up but I have no idea what they are or what they do!

Phil

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've just mailed the guy at Witomoto to see if he'll do one for an AT. Having the same problem with my bike, being tall and erm, large;)...my noisy Nolan N104 doesn't help either:rolleyes:

In the meantime, I've ordered a taller screen from Ebay, on which I'll report back when and if it arrives:rolleyes:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A criticism I wpold have of the Skidmarx screen is that it has no "Flip-up" at the top, allowing the wind to be directed straight at the visor.
Oh that kills that one I think. The more I look at the various options the more I'm convinced that that flip-up will be a necessity.

I'm 6'3 or so, so any "regular" tall screen is going to be aimed straight at my helmet no matter what unless it really is a barn door and/or it's nearly vertical.

I have settled on an mra which falls somewhere between the two but not ideal or good value.......
That's the vario screen with the stick-on spoiler? I've been wondering about those. I have a little spoiler/extension made by a local GSer ("Hamsterspoiler") but the MRA ones seem to have a different approach. As do the wetomoto ones.

I've even made some poor man's tobinators out of metal strips to see if they do anything, but that hasn't gotten far yet. ;-)

This is basically the tallest setup I've had so far:

Which is relative, it's still quite a bit below shoulder height...

(I'm starting to reach the conclusion that I really have to go try a barn door sometime. With flip-up, that is.)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sooo, had a bit of a brainwave yesterday;)

Worthy of a post in Bodgers Corner:toothy10:

But after a quick helmetless blast down the local dual carriageway, it appears to work!!

A 'special' prize for anyone who can tell me what it was previously used for:toothy10:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Okaaaay, IT WORKS!!!!

Took it out for a run yesterday with a group of visiting bikers from Cyprus, and it appear to make a big difference...I was able to test this comprehensively due to the glue on the tape melting in the heat:rolleyes:, which meant I could play with different angles of dangle:thumbright: Think I'll have to borrow a drill and whack some holes in it and mount it permanently...

As to what it is..weeelll, where do all mens great ideas come from?? In the pub, in the shed...or....:toothy10:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts