Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
I'm 6'4" and on my 1150 I had a MRA vario screen and tobinators, worked a treat.

On my 1200 I had a big screen which worked well

On the ADV I've got a TT deflector which works really well.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Got it bolted on now:thumbright:

Bit of a bugger to fit, as it's actually Stainless...took a bit of drilling, and ended having to use a cheapo masonry bit to get through it:rolleyes:...oh and the 'legs' aren't square either, so the holes are at different levels...a true bodge then:toothy10:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Oh, and I've ordered one of them Polish jobbies too:thumbright: To go on my new tall screen from Ebay...if it arrives...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Polish deflector arrived the other day, and very nice it looks too:thumbright:

I've supposedly got as new screen coming, so I'll wait for that to arrive nd match the two up.

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
Have you thought about the consequencies of having an accident with that on your windscreen?

Looks pretty lethal to me.......

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Soo, back home for a day...

No sign of the new screen so haven't got around to fitting the Polish jobby. Piotr was excellent; He was very efficient and even re-sent the screen when it got diverted in the post. Nice work too:thumbright:.

Whether it actually does the job or not is another issue:rolleyes:

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Soo, back home for a day...

No sign of the new screen so haven't got around to fitting the Polish jobby. Piotr was excellent; He was very efficient and even re-sent the screen when it got diverted in the post. Nice work too:thumbright:.

Whether it actually does the job or not is another issue:rolleyes:
just got mine too, I repeat what Andy says, Piotr is a top man, quick & efficient, looks a nice peice of kit, easy to fit just need to wait 'till I can try it... maybe sunday.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I fitted my screen the other day; very simple apart from the fact it's easy to lose the little grommet/washer jobbies that clamp to the existing screen- They're not attached to the little bolts!!

Anyway, I've tried it at various speeds and angles, and unsurprisingly as I'm tall, an almost upright setting gives the best protection. I can now ride at 120km/h with just a gentle zephyr caressing my face:-D

Bloody Nolan helmet is still noisy though, and you still get wind noise/buffet around the edge of the screens.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Looks good Andy

The last pic kind of reminds me of those little screens the WW1 & 2 biplanes fighter pilots had - just missing the big cross-haired ring for target practice

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just posted about this on the Transalp forum.

I've just come off a Pan European, and the electric screen was fantastic.

For the Transalp I've gone with a GIVI. About 4cm wider and 15cm taller, it is excellent on the motorway. A little noisier, and there is some wind burbling around the top of the helmet which was not present on the shorter stock screen. But it does take all the wind off my chest and shoulders, and allow life savers at speed without tugging my neck and head in a most unpleasant manner.

I may consider a deflector on the top, but I can't see it would make a great deal of difference on a mchine I wouldn't use regularly above 90mph

There is no 'best solution' other than trial and error for an aftermarket screen in my opinion.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
The difference between utter crap and brilliant can be quite small, too.

I finally got my big screen mounted, and in the initial position it drove me mad at any speed, varying from 20mph around town to 80mph motorway.

Tilted it just a bit more forwards, and suddenly all is fine and the turbulence is like riding without a screen except a lot less tiring. Have to keep an eye on the speedo, I find myself trying to shift into nonexisting 6th while already doing 20 over. :cool:

It's not the prettiest thing in the world especially up straight like that, but oh well, it's comfy.

Special mount too, I lost the original BMW mounting hardware, which apparently doesn't work brilliantly with this aftermarket screen anyway, so I bodged something from metal strips and tap washers. Moves the screen forwards a bit too. I think in the modern GS world they call these "tobinators". :D

Now, to bodge a way to fit the satnav up there above the dials without shaking itself to pieces...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im 6ft 2ins tall When I had a GS I fitted a Givi Airflow screen. They are the dogs do das Adjustable height ,very reasonable price and no buffeting.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts