Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Dances with Drunks
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As those who do their own servicing/tinkering/botching have probably noticed, Haynes Book of Half Truths advises us to completely dislodge the fairing in order to remove the tank to access air filter, carbs, tappets, secret spark plugs etc. Although not a massively complicated task, it involves a certain amount of dismantling and I find it fairly time consuming.

The owners manual, on the other hand, suggests just undoing the three screws on either side of the cockpit and the allen-bolt at the bottom of the fairing, and popping out the locating lugs which then allows the tank to be removed (after disconnecting the front and rear fuel, vacuum, breather, and overflow pipes and the fuel guage sender wire, of course).

Decided to risk the owners manual method this morning. Result? Tank off in seven minutes, and back on in twelve minutes. Well chuffed. Would have been even quicker, except that access to the front fuel and vacuum connections is more fiddly than with the fairing removed. I'm going to investigate quick-detach fittings for those rascals.

A fair chunk of time saved on future services. Just got to grow another pair of arms now, to speed up doing the bloody valve clearances!

H

·
0 Posts
ask an expert

I have a TA 650 and need assistance on how to remove the under-tank connections when removing the tank - how much of the fairing needs to be removed (if at all ) ?
Only doing it to check the air cleaner, as the bike is new to me.
Thanks in advance

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
The tank can be removed as describes above. Pinch the clips on the fuel hose and vacuum hose and slide them away from the tap, then pull these two hoses off.

Undo the fuel level sensor connector which is behind the left underseat side panel - mine has blue connectors.
After loosening the fairing and removing the tank mounting bolt (under front of seat), lift the rear of the tank a bit. Look under the rear of the tank and you'll see a rubber hose on each side, these are the overflow and breather hoses - pull them off the tank.

Make sure the fuel level sensor connector wire is free of the frame and lift the tank off.

At this point I usually stand there like a berk wondering where I can put the tank down. :?

A piece of card under the front of the tank is a good idea, as you lift the back of the tank it can scrape the frame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts