Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to change the air filter.....so the tank has to come off. Does the tank need to be completely drained of fuel? Should it be syphoned? Or can it be drained from the pet cock? OR, can some fuel stay in the tank or will it leak out when I remove the lines?

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
The less fuel the better as it's a big heavy thing to man handle, there is a fuel tap on each side so remember to turn them both off, it doesn't take much of a knock to have fuel pissing all over :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Agree. Easier with two. One lifting, one holding the plastics away from the tank
+1 for the fuel sensor.. (How do I know?):blob8:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't make my mistake when I first removed my tank .
I didn't realise the fuel taps had a off & two on positions .!
I thought I had turned both taps off but in fact I had turned them all the way round to the second on position .
When I pulled off the fuel pipe's petrol gushed out.
The garage floor was swimming in petrol .

Ian.��

·
Registered
477 Posts
This is my routine, I also have Givi engine/fairing bars btw.

1/ Firstly remove the infill plastics around the clocks.

2/ Then remove all the Allen bolts holding the fairing & unclip the infill plastics around the radiator. The fairing then drops & rests in the Givi bars.

3/ Remove rear/mid seat fairing Allen bolts & undo the Bagster tank protector if fitted.

4/ Unbolt the front & rear tank bolts & take care not to drop the washers on the front bolts into the engine area.

5/ Turn both the fuel taps off, unclip & prize off slowly as fuel will pour out if both not switched off.

6/ Disconnect the fuel sender no need to take note of the wires as its only an on/off switch.

7/ Lift the rear of the tank & squeeze your hand under, fumble around until you find the tank overflow pipe & tank breather & pull both free from the tank. (It is awkward but when you put it back together its even more of a pain)

8/ With the handle bars straight lift the tank up & slightly backwards to clear the frame.

9/ Always place tank on wood or concrete as it is possible to fill the fuel taps with crap is places on a soft surface.

Sorry if you know all this :thumbup:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
The taps are only off in about 0,0000025 degrees of their arc. Anything else in any direction is 'full on, fill my floor up with petrol why don't you' position.

To save worrying about this, get two short pieces of fuel hose, bung a big clean bolt in one end. Then when you remove the Varadero fuel line you can replace it with that and it doesn't matter if you knock the tap as you lift it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Quote YEN_POWELL
2015 Versys 1000- 19,000 miles. What a wicked bike!!!!!!.

Have we had a write up anywhere have I missed it?

You certainly rack up the miles
:thumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just remember to make a mental note of the 3 rubber pipes you have to disconnect under the tank. You wouldn't be the first person to reconnect 2 of them the wrong way round.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
Reactions: T ALP

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The taps are only off in about 0,0000025 degrees of their arc. Anything else in any direction is 'full on, fill my floor up with petrol why don't you' position.
On the Left side I can easily see the tap and writing. On the Right side it looks as if the tap is facing the opposite direction. Is this normal? Is there a tip/trick to see this better to ensure I have it in the correct position?

LEFT Side

RIGHT Side

1 - 16 of 16 Posts