Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm out of ideas now, recently my XR440R has started making a loud tapping sound from the top end.

I have had the entire engine stripped by a mechanic friend, everything appears to be FINE. I've changed the oil, had the auto decompressor system removed, valve clearances.. even done exhaust gaskets and replaced bits of the clutch including the basket guide as the basket appeared to wobble a bit.

The bike on the whole is quiet and sounds fine, except for the tapping noise!

It runs REALLY well, it rides REALLY well. But it taps, and I want to sell it as I have a new bike (only reason I got a new bike was because a friend decided to sell his WR426F cheap and I thought it was time to get something a bit racier) but I can't sell it with the tapping noise.

Doesn't matter that I personally can't find fault with it and would happily ride it anywhere, it sounds terrible and I wouldn't expect anyone to believe me so I really need to find the problem and fix it.

As said I've pretty much ran out of ideas and have replaced random stuff that probably didn't need replacing, so I've uploaded a video of the bike idling, any ideas??? much appriceated!

Video is here

IMG_0431.flv video by sparkscw - Photobucket

Please excuse the fact its a bit dirty, needs a good clean but have been tryng to fix it first hehe.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Mine taps like that when cold but goes once warm. The XR600 I had also did it but pretty much all the time. I spoke to a mechanic once who just said " Isnt that what all XRs sound like"
Mind with a 440 kit its probably about to explode:toothy2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it does get a bit quieter when warm, but still fairly loud. Was really hoping someone wouldn't say "it's normal" because that means I probably won't be able to quieten it down and might struggle to sell it :D

As for the 440 kit... I haven't had a single problem with it, this bike has been extremely reliable in terms of engine, bullet proof even. It pulls through anything and rides really nice, suprisingly powerful for an XR. The only problems I've had with the bike are the previous owners lack of maintenance, most bolts were loose or missing, bearings were shot, clutch pressure plate bearing was non-existant and the list goes on. Gear lever spline was rounded off which I annoyingly found out within the first mile of riding it :( I've sorted all of that out and had many a happy days trail riding, even done an enduro :thumbup:albeit quite slowly as I could barely hold on for most of it due to being so shattered :D

Had been tempted to keep it and "adventurize" it for long distance stuff, but in the end realised I'd definetly want something bigger so got an Africa Twin :-D Just need to get this sold now to boost my house deposit back up!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Showed the video to the locals at Honda and they said it sounded fairly normal for a 98 XR too :rolleyes: ebay it goes I guess.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
OK I'm out of ideas now, recently my XR440R has started making a loud tapping sound from the top end.

I have had the entire engine stripped by a mechanic friend, everything appears to be FINE. I've changed the oil, had the auto decompressor system removed, valve clearances.. even done exhaust gaskets and replaced bits of the clutch including the basket guide as the basket appeared to wobble a bit.

The bike on the whole is quiet and sounds fine, except for the tapping noise!

It runs REALLY well, it rides REALLY well. But it taps, and I want to sell it as I have a new bike (only reason I got a new bike was because a friend decided to sell his WR426F cheap and I thought it was time to get something a bit racier) but I can't sell it with the tapping noise.

Doesn't matter that I personally can't find fault with it and would happily ride it anywhere, it sounds terrible and I wouldn't expect anyone to believe me so I really need to find the problem and fix it.

As said I've pretty much ran out of ideas and have replaced random stuff that probably didn't need replacing, so I've uploaded a video of the bike idling, any ideas??? much appriceated!

Video is here

IMG_0431.flv video by sparkscw - Photobucket

Please excuse the fact its a bit dirty, needs a good clean but have been tryng to fix it first hehe.

I had a tappy tap tap rattle with the 440 kit on mine this this happened

which led to this

But don't let this scare you it still had a tappy tap tap rattle but is now back to 400cc

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm thinking its something to do with a slightly bent valve, has anyone had problems along these lines before?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I'm thinking its something to do with a slightly bent valve, has anyone had problems along these lines before?
Mine taps, Phils taps and just about every other one i know of does the same can't imagine all of us having slightly bent valves, put it down to a characteristic of the bike.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine taps, Phils taps and just about every other one i know of does the same can't imagine all of us having slightly bent valves, put it down to a characteristic of the bike.
I sold the bike to jrod for cheap in the end... there is definetly *something* up with it, the tapping was far too loud to be a "characteristic"! it'll probably ride fine for many more miles to come, but I have too many bikes and needed to sell it, was fairly certain I'd struggle to sell it on ebay with it sounding the way it does! I really hope jrod can sort it, but I'd be inclined to say just leave it and go ride, it'll be fine :thumbleft:

Now all I have to do is fix my WR426F and my Africa Twin :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also asked on Thumper talk and they seem to agree something is wrong and not to ride it until its fixed.

I think its top end at the moment so don't want to ruin the bottom!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Sounds as though the spring in the cam chain tensioner has failed.

To test that you can just undo the outer screw with the o ring on it. Then put a small screwdriver in and wind the tensioner all the way back, when you take the screwdriver the tensioner will spring out to make contact with the chain.

I wouldn't say thats the problem as i've changed mine and it still tappy/ rattly how ever still worth investigating

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To test that you can just undo the outer screw with the o ring on it. Then put a small screwdriver in and wind the tensioner all the way back, when you take the screwdriver the tensioner will spring out to make contact with the chain.

I wouldn't say thats the problem as i've changed mine and it still tappy/ rattly how ever still worth investigating

Which it does.. as the CCT was taken out when we stripped the engine looking for the problem...

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
In that case it might be the hy-vo cam chain?

On my XL250SA I had to replace the hy-vo cam chain, which are supposed to be quieter than the normal type roller chain. Although the sprocket on the crank was worn the new cam chain was quiet...for about 3000 miles. The part that I used was a genuine item, but after it wore out prematurely I stuck in a pattern part item from M&P & it was still going strongly 15,000 miles later.

Only i've not heard this tappety noise on my XR400 so a bit difficult to diagnose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have had this issue with my 2007 xr400sm. Here is a link of the tapping and slapping noises i got from my bike.
Honda XR400 Motard 07 Valve tappet Noise - YouTube
the Cam chain tensioner had died at about 9000km's on a bike that has a Stage two hotcam, High comp piston, ported head and full staintune exhaust plus bigger air filter and a double pump carb dyno tuned and puts out 48hp. I goes great but now im up to 17000km's and its quite loud again but more valve noise i think? Should i replace the cam chain and other bits? it sounds worse accelerating and especially when slowing down using compression.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts