Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Meesh is lending me her DR350 for about a month. I can ride it on my policy but third party only.

My broker, Carole Nash, says the alternative is for Meesh to put me on her insurance and me pay the difference.

But my policy covers me for work use - to and from places of work (I am self-employed).

I am pretty sure, because I have tried this before, that Meesh's insure will not want to insure me for work use.

I will be going to run two training courses (for a big insurance company as it happens) at a training and conference centre, so I have be insured for work, even to make the third party cover legal.

And of course my insurer won't insure me on a bike I don't own.

Any ideas?

It looks like two of us paying for cover and cover being denied.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
My employer leased a car for me but I insured it, I was neither the registerd owner or keeper.

This caused some initial difficulties with finding someone to provide cover but eventually Privilege came up trumps. I also obtained a cover letter from them confirming these facts, just to be sure.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car leasing thing is right. Done that myself.

Currently I am being old only the registered owner can insure.

·
Insurance Advisor
178 Posts
Meesh is lending me her DR350 for about a month. I can ride it on my policy but third party only.

My broker, Carole Nash, says the alternative is for Meesh to put me on her insurance and me pay the difference.

But my policy covers me for work use - to and from places of work (I am self-employed).

I am pretty sure, because I have tried this before, that Meesh's insure will not want to insure me for work use.

I will be going to run two training courses (for a big insurance company as it happens) at a training and conference centre, so I have be insured for work, even to make the third party cover legal.

And of course my insurer won't insure me on a bike I don't own.

Any ideas?

It looks like two of us paying for cover and cover being denied.
You're enquiry is still with Bikesure's Manager at the moment but I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Phil

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
''Buy'' the bike off her for a penny.

The ''sell'' it back to her for a penny.

Everyones happy :D
I was think long those lines. I only got half-way though.:D

·
Insurance Advisor
178 Posts
I don't think there is really an easy option here. Depending on the risk profile we would be able to include an additional driver on a policy for business use, but presumably your friend is not insured though Bikesure.

I'm sure that the riding of other bikes facility is restricted to social domestic and pleasure use only so that would not be an option.

As suggested, maybe the only option is to investigate the requirements to have the bike included on your policy as a temporary addition bike.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Phil

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure that the riding of other bikes facility is restricted to social domestic and pleasure use only so that would not be an option.
Phil
Oh dear. Now that would never have occurred to me. I had better check.

This is starting to look like the whole plan is crumbling.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have emailed Carole Nash to ask but the policy wording is so convoluted it is not clear. I suspect it says that only bikes named on the policy are covered for business use.

If that is the case, then it would not be not covered and I cannot borrow Meesh's bike.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
''Buy'' the bike off her for a penny.

The ''sell'' it back to her for a penny.

Everyones happy :D
Or buy the bike for a penny then sell it back for tuppence.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking of just buying the bike for a penny and stopping at that.;)

L

·
0 Posts
Is Meesh though happy with having 2 more former keepers on the paperwork???

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have had confirmation by email that my insurance will cover me on Meesh's bike for exactly the same usage as my own bikes - but only third party.

So all looking good.:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts