Honda XRV Forum banner

Telescope Advice Please

5K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  BobA 
#1 ·
I live on the South Coast in view of the English Channel and very occasionally something passes that I wouldn't mind taking a closer look at.

Today, it was some sort of Royal Naval vessel that plodded past.

So, I've suddenly decided I must be related to Horatio Nelson or Blackbeard as I would like to buy a BUDGET telescope, so I can scan the horizon for smugglers or Pirates.

I WANT A CHEAP OPTION, so please don't tell me I need something capable of seeing Ur anus OK!!!

I guess I would like to see vessels that are anywhere between 2 to 5 miles off the coast in some detail if poss. If I'm able to see some old sea dog throwing some fish heads overboard, all the better!

Your suggestions please!??

Pointers to suitable stuff on eBay would be appreciated. (I'd love one of theose old cast iron ones you put 10p in!!)

Bob :thumbup:

P.S. I posted a canoe thread a few days ago, but this is something I've discovered I definitely can't afford at the moment, so the telescope is to placate me for a while!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't know what you mean by cheap, but decent magnification is not particulary cheap.

I have a Meade ETX70 Astro telescope that is "weak" enough to be used as a ground telescope. Comes with tripod, alternative lenses, and a star tracker in case astronomy was also an interest.

If this is too much, then I actually would recommend either a spotting scope on a tripod, or simply a pair of astro binoculars.

A long telescope has a small field of vison that can make finding your target quite hard, and being so much longer they are hard to keep steady so you get that black edging where your eye is not inline with the lenses...

Examples here.

#6 ·
How about a pair of Binoculars?
They are just as good as a telescope and are easier to handle, as it happens I have a pair I do not use if you want to try them.

#7 ·
Ahoy there!

D'ya know what, I just had a feeling I shouldn't have asked about a telescope after my brief love affair with canoes!!

I am clearly an eccentric bald man with expensive tastes!

Thanks Simon, but I've now been offered a pair of binoculours to try out by my cousin who's gonna pop down with them tomorrow. Of course, he's as dim as me about them, so hasn't got clue how powerful they are, so lets see how I get on. They'll probably be those things they use at the ballet or theatre knowing him.

Cheers

Bob :thumbup:

#11 · (Edited)
I don't know a huge amount this but after a vague interest in Target shooting a while ago I picked up some awareness. I take it you know the basics - the first number is usually the magnification eg 7x or 10x for sporting binoculars. The second number is the diameter in mm of the object lense - the big end. The bigger the better generally but if the optics are very high quality then they can be smaller. If you divide the big number by the small number this gives you a guide as to how easy they will be to use in practice. An outcome greater than 5 is Good; less than 4 is pretty crap. If you go for high magnification you really do need big lenses or get something fancy with image stabilisation.

Having said all that optics really do make or break a scope. I have a pair of very fancy pair of Swarovski bino's. They are 7x42 and the image is awesome giving the impression of much greater magnification compared to much cheaper pair of 10x50 I also have.

I also used to have an ex-naval pair of 10x60. These are the sort you see salty sea dogs using in films. Average optics and age spoilt them, then I dropped and broke then, but something like this would be ideal for you although they are heavy. Good luck and dont turn into a Pervy voyeur.

#12 ·
aldi do a "spotter scope" which should be good for what you want. they come with a mini tripod and soft carry case. excellent magnification, lightweight and compact. last time they were available they cost about £25 great value.
i know they don't have the at the moment so be patient i'm sure the'll have them again soon :thumbup::thumbup:

#13 ·
You are not alone in a new fad every week or two. I'm just hopeless! Funnily enough it was telescope for me this time but I wanted one to look at the moon and stars after the Brian Cox thing on the telly. I got a reflector off ebay but it would be no good for you. For looking out to sea forget big heavy binoculars after five mins your arms will be fropping off! I have some 8x25 pocket binoculars that are very good and the suggestion of a spotting scope holds well. If you want to watch for a while you really need something that will sit on a tripod. Also 12x and above are difficult to keep on target without some sort of steady. I could swap a canoe for some 12 x 50's!

#16 ·
just found on a canoeing site this thought you may be interested :D:D

Our latest ‘toy’ is an inflatable canoe that we bought from the unlikely source of Lidl in Aberystwyth.

#19 ·
#20 ·
hi bob
looks there coming soon.

10th may

i'm sure mine from aldi wasn't that much (i convinced the wife and must have only remembered what i told her):D:D although mine has onlt a short tripod.

#26 ·
Having watched for several minutes I was sure that the zip was going one tooth lower each time. Now, after more than an hour my anticipation is dashed. It always gets to the critical point and then - up she goes:rolleyes:

#28 ·
I know fecall about telescopes, but I will look into it for you... LOL.;)

Rog:thumbup:

#31 ·
Thanks for the heads up Alan.

I actually ended up getting a nice App for my iPhone called "Ship Finder" which is really really good. I was chatting to a bloke on the seafront who worked for the Environment Agency a few months ago, who was waiting for a dredger to turn up (with stones for the beach). He said it was late, so I whipped my phone out and told him that he should be able to see the "Sospandau" any minute. He was amazed.

Another thing I use is Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions which is a bit slow, but clearly shows that the English Channel IS the busiest shipping channel in the world.

Cheers

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.