Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok for all you that are interested Mr Mudd esp ;) before i start this proved the st temp gauge on the AT is about a much use as a chocolate fire guard ;)

Ok ive removed the tank left fairing airbox , i made up a Tee piece with a tapped tube in the with the correct thread.

All i done was lengthened the original temp wire soldered it in the middle and added swinkrap.

Ok so i started it in the office and let it run , i took some pics at 50 , 60 ,70 ,80 90 , you can see the dial not to bad ....

Anyway the original gauge did not move until it hit 90 degrees even then its sitting level with the small marker on the bottom of the gauge :(

So really whats the point in having a temp gauge that you can only see just at this temp ? so im running with one rad covered and 3 inches of the other covered and im only running at between 58 & 74 depending on the temp when cruising.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I agree having a separate digital temp gauge is a benefit as the standard gauge only tends to move in extremes circumstances. May look at fitting one on my disk plate:thumbleft:

So what was the 'normal' temp after a decent run?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I like this kind of investigative work if I had the space to work on mine we’d be comparing results good work packman :thumbup:
Do you know how accurate the new temp indicator your using is, I used to have access to a calibrated thermal imaging camera had a job checking for hotspots on some electrical switchgear,
I brought it home and played with it every night never thought of using it on the bikes
I've been thinking of making a variable resistor to see what resistance is needed to get the gauge to sit in the middle and then trying to source a temperature sender to match another project for when my garage is finished

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im pretty sure the Digi gauge is about right , ive get temp strips on the top and bottom of the rads and there about right to the Digi gauge.

Another thing thou one of the larger breather pipes out the airbox , the pipe that hangs down witha cap on it and clip. I removed my plug as that tube was nearly full of condensation.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree having a separate digital temp gauge is a benefit as the standard gauge only tends to move in extremes circumstances. May look at fitting one on my disk plate:thumbleft:

So what was the 'normal' temp after a decent run?
Again outside temp plays a big part , id say in the morning at about 0 degrees at 60-70 mph after 10 straight miles were looking at 58-62 degrees .

- 6 and your in the region of 54-56 degrees 2-6 at your anything from 68-72 degrees

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks mate! Was wondering when you get round to this. Running too cold or too hot isn't good for any engine, wouldn't really give it a thought in summer but running in winter in sub zero temps hmmm ..but then again I'm not speeding along the m-way, just chuffing along trying not to end up in a ditch somewhere so the rads aren't really getting much cooling from 70-80mph freeze dried air..more like 50mph tops.

This was mine after about 25 miles in -12 temps doing some hard work getting out of snow drifts and normal 50mph roadwork..with the left hand side of the rad covered as you suggested

Hazard a guess ?? What do you think ? Haven't got a digital temp guage :(

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dame now that throws a spanner in the works :eek: so according to my findings you should be about 150 degrees ;)

Ok i cant believe with -12 at 50 mph your running at 90 degrees , hazard a guess at no more than 65 -70 degrees but
also this suggests that the gauges again in theory are all set the same ??????

Tell me does the radiators and hoses feel very hot ? are the hoses blown up at all and when on the gauge does the
radiator fan cut in ?

So in theory if you have a thermostat in there witch id say you have find out what temp is printed on the fan switch ?
again im guessing around the 86 mark this then will tell you what temp the water is when the fan comes on .....

So ref this with the gauge and take a pic and just mark the gauge with some white paint pen or similar....

Ive got a spare switch some wear will take a look and report back tomorrow. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Never had the fan cut in yet :) and as there's an unusual warm front rolling over my part of sweden (+4 now) I'm taking the rad cover off,,after riding in -10 and below the last few weeks it feels like summer :cool:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive looked at the temp on the sensor and it says " 100 on" i can only assume its the temp the fan cuts in ? . Its around +4 -6 here at the moment and im about 68-72 so im keeping my left rad covered ive got no problem with that at all.

Oli , the T piece ive got the tube from work and we have these fitting with the tread there already ive just cut it down to weld to the pipe. , i weld these into larger water and oil pipes for thurmocouples for various tests.

RR temp sensor is a worth while investment i think esp as the original temp gauge is next to useless ...... :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
According to the book it says switch closes (fan on) at 98 to 102°c switch closes (fan off) at 93 to 97°c

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been following these threads quite closely, and my AT is no different to the rest, the needle hardly registers anything in these temps.
As the conclusion seems to be that the standard in gauge is at best not very well calibrated, would it not be possible just to replace the guage with a 52mm accessory water temp gauge, such as:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p13900/STACK-WATER-TEMPERATURE-GAUGE-40-120°C/

That way you wouldn't end up with two water temps gauges, one of which is not very accurate.
I am aware that the sender would probably have to be changed too, and that the gauge would have to suitable for use on abike as opposed to sitting in a nice toasty boy racer car.

It would also mean that you could even swap out the original for one of the dual gauges, perhaps oil pressure/ water temp in one. This is the option I am starting to consider.....

Any thoughts........

Rick

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ok, just been looking at the instrument pack in more detail and it is all in one unit, so guess all The above is only good in theory but not practice, howevever, where theres a will and all that, will be taking a spare dash apart in the spring.....
Rick

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did think about removing the top of the pack and seeing if the needle would pull / lift off then get the bike up to 90 degrees then replace it back on
sitting in the middle........

:thumbup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Right, been considering how to fit a decent temp gauge to the @ for a while now, didn't want to just add another readout as its a bit busy up front already. Bought a gauge and sender unit and started the install, got the boring bit out the way first: seat off, tank off, find sender, remove, find out that the adaptor I bought is the wrong size so put it all back together again and order correct one.
Second time it all went better and temp sender is now installed in place of the original.
Next step was to remove the upper front fairing and dismount the clocks. Took a hacksaw to the original gauge, after much measuring and praying. All went well, then drilled out the back of the clock surround and filed away, until I had this:
clocks1.jpg

Here's a pic of the new one slid into the new hole:
clocks2.jpg

So now its seal all the back up with a decent sealant and wait to dry, will post a pic of it all mounted up.

Rick

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What a good idea "Stack" nice simple and easy to read. Ive got one rad covered at the moment im running at around 70 degrees when going back and forth to work about 16 miles.

Be interesting to see what you get temp wise ... :thumbup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Good job :thumbup: ..My Honda guage actually moves now when doing slow work in the woods..lots of pootling along or stopping to admire the view...but not reached halfway yet and never had the fan cut in yet either but guess that's only when the needle comes up near the red I take it ??

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Okay, it's all mounted up now. Probably will be all I get done today, but will update when more progress is made.

View attachment 24064
Good job. It's a nice fit and it looks like it belongs there. We see alot of threads here regarding coolant temp and lack thereof when it comes to
indicating and for the record my stock one indicates like it should and the fan kicks in like it should. I'm I one of the few?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts