Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking of rigging up a temporary fuel tank for when I need to balance the carbs on the TA. Saw on another forum (yeah, yeah I know - burn the heretic! :D ) where someone used an aluminium bottle as a fuel supply. I got said ally bottle from our equivalent of the pound shop (all of €2!), bit like this one -

View attachment 16092

It is thin ally and has a flat bottom. Now I need to work out how to connect a fuel tap, or even spigot, to the bottle. Any ideas?

And yes, I have asked on the original forum where I saw the idea first.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I just use a plastic lemonade/tonic water bottle. I drill a hole in the lid and hot glue in a length of tubing. Half fill the bottle with petrol and invert. The soft wall of the bottle will collapse to allow the fuel to flow. Using a closed bottle means petrol doesn't go everywhere when the inevitable happens and I drop the bottle or it vibrates off whatever I placed it on. Chuck the bottle away when done and keep the lid and hose for another day.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just use a plastic lemonade/tonic water bottle. I drill a hole in the lid and hot glue in a length of tubing. Half fill the bottle with petrol and invert. The soft wall of the bottle will collapse to allow the fuel to flow. Using a closed bottle means petrol doesn't go everywhere when the inevitable happens and I drop the bottle or it vibrates off whatever I placed it on. Chuck the bottle away when done and keep the lid and hose for another day.
Yep, done the same before myself - but "perfectionist streak" knows that there is neater and re-usable way of doing this. Just need to work out how to properly attach hose / fuel tap.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
carburetor synchronisation- did mine yesterday on africa twin750, didnt need to take tank off :p went to maplins to buy ( link- Flexible Ratchet Driver Set : Screwdrivers : Maplin Electronics ) as ive lost my old one. Glad it didn't need adjusting. But threading the end through a ring spanner to hold/position it close to the screw made life easier last time.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Aquarium supply and model making shops will do spigots in brass that should do the trick. You will have to vent it somehow to stop airlocks and the stopper will probably swell up if you leave any fuel in it making it difficult to remove. It will go down again if you remove the fuel.

Also check there isn't a rubber insert like the stopper on the right. It's designed to dissolve if you try and use it as a fuel bottle.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Pound shop use cheap copies of the S*** bottle, used them many a time for fuel with no problems, dont use expensive bottles for fuel though the new S*** bottle is lined to stop alzheimers through alloy ingestion :happy8: and have a strip that will dissolve with any fuel used.

I have a tap for my Meths bottle never used it but a great idea and it replaces the normal bottle screw lid,

I'll hunt around

found one complete with bottle

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Trangia-Brennstoffflasche-500-ml-/140648617937?pt=DE_Sport_Camping_Outdoor_Camping_Küchenbedarf&hash=item20bf4f97d1

I did get my lid separate though to fit the alloy bottle complete with tap

·
Hill Rider
3,111 Posts
I got meself an old two stroke oil tank from a broken scoot. Comes with a screw top and a vent pipe. I connect it to bike fuel line, fill it then hoist it up on a stout piece of string to a hook screwed into a roof support.
Works a treat and cost nowt :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got meself an old two stroke oil tank from a broken scoot. Comes with a screw top and a vent pipe. I connect it to bike fuel line, fill it then hoist it up on a stout piece of string to a hook screwed into a roof support.
Works a treat and cost nowt :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:
Now that would have been the ideal solution, but there's not as much to choose from over here. I was also after a fuel tank from a petrol lawnmower for the same reason - no luck either on freecycle or even skip diving. So, I've had to go new. Ho hum.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Been thinking of rigging up a temporary fuel tank for when I need to balance the carbs on the TA.
I don't bother with petrol in bottles and stuff. I just get everything out the way apart from the fuel tank. I run the bike 'til it's warm, then pop the tank off and balance the carbs.

You just need to work faster ;)

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I use a big old syringe stuffed into the petrol pipe, inverted and filled with petrol. It's enough to balance the carbs or run it for a while, and not lose your house if the worse happens!!!

Another option is to look for an outboard motor fuel tank. They are big enough to use to store a bit of fuel, but also have a fuel line attached with a vacuum bulb to get the fuel flowing. You'll get one on eBay for £10, but generally people wont post, so only OK if you live nearby.

:thumbup:

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
Try a valve from an old inner tube. Cut the rubber as close to the valve as poss, then a bit of heat, and the rubber just falls away. You then have a hollow threaded tube - real easy to put through most bottles.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Old scotoil bottle. Fuel pipe fits over the end. No mechanics needed, no welding, nothing. Simples:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts