Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much of a TR but I was in Dubrovnik for a week at a mate's wedding. Hired a scooter for a day for a quick recce and a KLE500 for 2 days 2-up.

This a Piaggio X7 250cc. It was quicker than I expected and OK for overtaking trucks on the coast road.
P6040114.jpg
I rode it down to Cavtat, had a look at the posh Brit yachts,
P6040113.jpg

then N thru Ston and out along the peninsula a bit.

Next day did the Dubrovnik old town thing. Very impressive walled city, Assassins Creed aficionados would love it. A lot of rebuilding done, all the houses have brand new rooftiles for some reason...
P6050168.jpg
the place is fairly solidly built
P6050126.jpg
There is a fun cliff jump from a bar in the walls
P6050189.jpg

I spent 10 minutes failing to prove my manhood on the local testpiece. You have to stand on this polished sloper and take your shirt off.
P6050193.jpg

Anyway, after the wedding and a recovery day we picked up the KLE. I'd not ridden one before. It is quite light, narrow and tall. Also quite comfy with a decent seat and decent bars. We had to ride about 10 miles of gravel approaching the border into Montenegro and it was pretty good on this. It felt good solo going round the block but all our riding on it was 2-up and as such it felt slower than the scooter. It was competent but clunky. It had a minor electrical gremlin - the starter was not 100% reliable (and yes I did check the kill switch, neutral, sidestand, clutch lever etc). On the plus side getting on my DL650 was a pure pleasure when I got home.
P6080315.jpg
First day we headed N thru Ston again, headed right to the end of the peninsula and stopped for a dip in the sea before heading back.
P6080316.jpg
P6080339.jpg
P6080362.jpg
P6080344.jpg

Next day headed S to Montenegro. The border crossing was a bit slow by European standards and the road N of the border was a work in progress. The part of Montenegro we visited was a large bay of many inlets surrounded my big steep mountains, very impressive landscapes and a good coast road. We followed it as far as the old walled city of Kotor (more Creed flashbacks),
P6090382.jpg
P6090385.jpg
P6090386.jpg

then took a shortcut back across the bay on a 5-minute ferry.
P6090389.jpg
P6090390.jpg

By the time we made it across the border and through the roadworks again
P6090395.jpg

it was time for a swim at Cavtat before dropping the bike off.
P6090400.jpg

A great week was had. Thoroughly recommended. Beautiful coastline, historic cities, excellent food, down to earth friendly people. If you can't be rsed to ride there, bike hire is affordable and I can recommend Branko at Hotel Kompas who is a biker and good bloke, an agent for Brabel rentals.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice pics Al

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it was v hot when stopped, but pleasant enough on the move.

Here is what I ate on the last night - chef's special toasted shrimps and poached seabass:
P6090414.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
that food looks lovely.....:D
croatia is on one of my lists to do.....one day
thanks for the report...........
.now if i keep going through france,italy........;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great pics and report :)

·
KTM 990 ADV
341 Posts
Nice one Al, looks like you had a great time superb pics, will have to try that sometime.
Regards Tez

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Nice one DC and me set off a week on Thursday ;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will love it Hudders.

We met a bunch of Welsh boys on big trailies who stopped 1 night in our hotel, they got totally drenched on the way down but were well happy to be in the sunshine, heading straight to Albania the next day.

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts

We met a bunch of Welsh boys on big trailies who stopped 1 night in our hotel, they got totally drenched on the way down but were well happy to be in the sunshine, heading straight to Albania the next day.

Cheers, any other tips :thumbleft:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts

The Welsh guys did you ask where their from as a pile of guys from one of my sites are on big trailies heading Croatia, Albainia Greece across to italy and home,

Nice Shots Al

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Welsh guys did you ask where their from as a pile of guys from one of my sites are on big trailies heading Croatia, Albainia Greece across to italy and home,
Think S wales. They were riding various GSA, KTM990, Triumph 800XC, Ducati Multistrada etc. Said they had to change their route across the Alps to use the Brenner as the pass they were aiming for was not in a fit state.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Cheers, any other tips :thumbleft:
Beer is a about the same price as home in Dubrovnik old town, quite a bit cheaper elsewhere.

I drank tap water every day with no ill effects.

All young people speak good English.

Have insurance green card handy for customs. Watch out for Italians trying to reverse into you in customs queues. Know where your horn button is.

Didn't really explore as much as I'd have liked - there are decent looking mountains inland but I think you are getting close to the Bosnian border. One of our group got stuck at that border for a few hours.

Watch out for large groups of supermodels wandering around old town at night - the mrs had to pick my jaw off the floor and push my eyeballs back into their sockets. In fact the strada was awash with popped-out eyeballs.:D

sunset mode
P6060281.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts