Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at two tents- vango beta 250 or alpha 200. Alpha is 2kg lighter, beta has more porch space (1.9x1.4m compared to 0.55 by 1.2m). Tent will be used on both cycling and motorbiking trips, hence worried about the weight, but I can't help but think that the extra porch space could be very useful (or could be a complete waste!). What're peoples experiences with porches when camping alone- big is good, or a waste?

Price difference between the two tents is not an issue, but if anyone wants to recommend me a tent which they think is better for sub £60 then I won't complain.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have a Vango Delta 200,it's a similar size to the Alpha.I would say the porch size is only just big enough for me.I would go for a bit bigger porch,it's good to not have to have your wet kit in the inner tent with you at night.

·
Try everything once!
24 Posts
Bigger porch definately, better for your kit at night, and better for making a cuppa when its raining, also for sitting under when its raining to drink the tea you just made ;)

Lots of times when we have taken a smaller tent we have wished we had taken the larger one with a bigger porch.

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Always go for one with a big porch, they are great in wet weather. Plus plenty of storage and cooking space, seperate from the sleeping area.

DC has just got a new tunnel tent and is really pleased with it.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Always go for one with a big porch, they are great in wet weather. Plus plenty of storage and cooking space, seperate from the sleeping area.

DC has just got a new tunnel tent and is really pleased with it.
Young man,

Didn't you have a porch thingy at Piel that stretched from your bike to your tent ??

Looked the dogs danglys :thumbup:

Or was it all a dream ??? :D:D:D

·
Registered
362 Posts
Beta 250 ordered. Seems the best compromise between size and weight.
Should be pretty good - I've just got a Beta 350 just because it's a bit bigger and we've never camped before so haven't learned all the tricks of what we (i.e her!) can manage without yet!
Seems like a good quality tent for the money.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
36 quid ebay brand new,4 man and 2 extra in the porch (or philw)
similar to this one

plenty of room to cook

gives the neighbours a bit of windbreaking (the shelter kind) and room for all kinds of waif and stray callers

fits quite nicely across the back seat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts