Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Here I am again...

Is there a simple way to test the cooling fan and the thermostat which controls it?
I'm trying to avoid to let the engine run untill it kicks in... or not if it appears broken... :?

Cheers!
T.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You can check the power supply and fan itself by shorting the sensor lead straight into radiator with the ignition on.

I noticed my 12 V supply was a goner something like a month ago with a known good fuse. I had to do a roadside repair by running a new (fused) supply straitght to the positive terminal of the fan plug. Now my cooling fan works also with the ignition off should the sensor ask it to do so. Thats ok unless the sensor will some day decide to jam into closed position leading to a flat battery.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, cheers.

I already tried the other way. Just leave the engine running for a while. Slowly the needle was climbing, and of course, just about when I thought the fan wouldn't kick in... it did. Not long before the needle would enter the red zone...

After that, I had the fan kicking in a couple of times during some heavy traffic driving (eerhm.... waiting that is...), so it must be ok.

Tijn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts