Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking more first hand, real world experience of DRZ400 ownership, I joined a certain SingleCylinder forum.
Have to say that this XRV.ORG.UK forum seems a far more helpful, friendlier and tolerant place to be when asking novice/newbie questions.
So, Thank You All for your assistance with my Transalp and DRZ400 queries, and also for that reassuring sense of an all-for-one-and-one-for-all community.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
It's the same on ukgser, if someone new asks a question thats been posted many times they get their heads bitten off! (Don't get Boris started). Usual smarmy replies of "have you tried the search function" etc... how do they know that the newbie even knows what the search function does? Not everyone is good with pc's and what not and they are just asking a question ffs...

This is the only place it doesn't seem to happen.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts
It's the same on ukgser, if someone new asks a question thats been posted many times they get their heads bitten off! (Don't get Boris started). Usual smarmy replies of "have you tried the search function" etc... how do they know that the newbie even knows what the search function does? Not everyone is good with pc's and what not and they are just asking a question ffs...

What the feck are you on about, head bitten off on ukgser, no :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

I'm only a member on ukgser, not subscribed and don't realy rate it that highly. Some people do get on there high horse on there so then i just put comments to wind them up and fuel there fire. I put a thread up on there about fathers GS before we pulled the old tractor apart asked a few questions got some rediculous and stupid answers which only made me think "all the gear but no idea" then did the job and put some photo's up and had comments that were by people amazed that you could take a BMW slave cylinder apart :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

It's useful for some things but i don't see me subscribing to it in the near future, plus alot of BMW GS owners to tend to be terrible bore's:D:D:D. ( i do have an owner in the close family, before i get any comments) but generally being stuck on a island with them would end in genicide of the island's population and if they were all in the 2 peice **** suits that would be the end for me

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
As an avid member of UKGser I take exception to such derogatory remarks about my bretheren on the forum who are really nice, helpful and knowledgable people!!.............OK, I am joking and the only reason I go there is to read between the lines to pick up any good info/tips for my bike. I do not post much on there, just lurk around and marvel at the level of superiority shown by some, mind you, there are worse, have you read some of the threads on ADV?:eek: I am/have been a member of a few bike forums and this one is without a doubt the best for info and help with a good helping of harmless banter and pi**taking...... I love it!:thumbright::D

Andy.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
OI STOP PICKING ON US TOSSERS

its nothing personal i look down on everyone:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10: and the airs bloody thin up here too:toothy1:

and what ever you do dont tell Craig to get off the pavement and cycle on the roads:happy6::mrgreen::happy6:

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Yes, it's the friendly and (usually) non-one-upmanship and non-back-biting nature of this forum that keeps me coming back. I've been on other forums where people have been really made to look stupid just because they've asked a rather naive question :(. Or forums that are just too boring because so few people contribute new content. So this thread begs the question, what makes a good forum? And what ruins it? Off the top of my head...

For me, what makes it good:
Friendly and interesting people who treat each other with kindness and respect
Openness to all levels of knowledge/ ignorance
Openness to (at times, challenging) debate with a respect for different opinions and an ability not to let things get too personal
Good moderation (as per above) and to keep it decent and on-topic (fat chance, here ;))
Enough people willing to contribute content to keep the site interesting
Regular f2f events to provide momentum and offer people the chance to extend friendship into the real world
User-friendly software/interface
Democratic consultation but still clearly defined ownership
A common interest

What has the potential to ruin it:
(As mentioned) back-biting and pettiness
Members who see the forum as a way of scoring points over other members
Flame wars (usually on a/c of the above)
- and a failure to meet any or all of the criteria listed that makes it good!

Would be interested to know if I've missed any or whether you have other thoughts...

·
17,680 Posts
Yes, it's the friendly and (usually) non-one-upmanship and non-back-biting nature of this forum that keeps me coming back. I've been on other forums where people have been really made to look stupid just because they've asked a rather naive question :(. Or forums that are just too boring because so few people contribute new content. So this thread begs the question, what makes a good forum? And what ruins it? Off the top of my head...

For me, what makes it good:
Friendly and interesting people who treat each other with kindness and respect
Openness to all levels of knowledge/ ignorance
Openness to (at times, challenging) debate with a respect for different opinions and an ability not to let things get too personal
Good moderation (as per above) and to keep it decent and on-topic (fat chance, here ;))
Enough people willing to contribute content to keep the site interesting
Regular f2f events to provide momentum and offer people the chance to extend friendship into the real world
User-friendly software/interface
Democratic consultation but still clearly defined ownership
A common interest

What has the potential to ruin it:
(As mentioned) back-biting and pettiness
Members who see the forum as a way of scoring points over other members
Flame wars (usually on a/c of the above)
- and a failure to meet any or all of the criteria listed that makes it good!

Would be interested to know if I've missed any or whether you have other thoughts...

You forgot the who can kill their liver first nature of our meets:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
What are flame wars? I know its probably a naive question but I hope someone will take the time to advise.

·
17,680 Posts
What are flame wars? I know its probably a naive question but I hope someone will take the time to advise.
tis when you ask a silly question and get flamed for it , then you flame the ****er back it escalates and ends in WW3:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Reactions: Traveller

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
tis when you ask a silly question and get flamed for it , then you flame the ****er back it escalates and ends in WW3:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Ok Essex boy, I only asked!!!!!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
17,680 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
WHO the FACK are YOU CALLIN ESSEX you CHEEKY MONKEY:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Mmm I think I understand flaming now :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Shouldn't that be you cheeky
northern
monkey...

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Lulu, you said it all, nothing more to add. :D

PS Ignore those Essex boys. ;)

Andy.

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Reminds me of another essential requirement, a sense of humour.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts