Honda XRV Forum banner
4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  phil w 
#1 ·
Overall happy with my XT600............. but after riding home from the National on Sunday, I had a massive reality check. lumping along on a single with little wind protection gets tiresome............ pick the right roads some may say, but I actually enjoy getting somewhere fairly quickly on a motorway or doing the A roads, instead of baltting through back passes ( OoooErr Missus), mind B roads are fun when the time allows.
So on my return from the National I decide, advertise the XT, next day someone rings, day after that it gets sold. Smashing... much better than waiting for weeks on end to sell, and for a profit to.. quite healthy ...result. Plus I got to keep the Ali panniers I had with the bike
Next chapter begins in the life of a serial bike buyer... how much fun do I have:blob5:

#2 ·
At this rate, and since you've stopped smoking, there will come a time when you will have had more bikes than ****.:rolleyes:

#3 ·
think 3 bikes is the minimum requirement,this works for me,
little trail bike for messin about the welsh tracks dr350
big trail bike for b roads and general zippin about, 650 dominator retro scrambler,
big bike for the open road ,xjr1300
has most bases covered

#4 ·
Would be nice if I could only afford that luxury. But then again the way Ive been riding over the past few months I have really fallen out of favour with any trail type stuff, in fact the last I did was with you Nick. I also now have the need to blat up to Worcester at least once a month, near 200 mile round trip, to see my Mum who has just moved into a sheltered home there. So whatever I get next will need to do Motorways with more suitability than an XT600

#5 ·
Good luck with whatever it may be Phil, funnily enough I also have some ally panniers left over from my last bike sale. I don't know if I could live with just having one bike ( last time was about 1990) but I may have to go that way as think I may get my own car for the winter :toothy3: Boy I must be getting old :(

#6 ·
Ha which one is the keeper Bob... although I will guess you will always have 2 !! Im having probs deciding what to get mind. Although the default Transalp is being thought of highly, but a 650 this time. TDM 850 is on the list, but odd balls like a VFR800 keep popping into my head

#9 ·
Such a pity that the XT isn't quite versatile enough.

The VFR800 is a great bike, but I found the suspension harsh. What I like about big trailies (my Vara obviously, but the same aplies to GS/VStrom/990 etc etc) is that they can devour motorways AND country lanes with gravel, grass, pot holes and the rest, absolutely no problem at all. Often times a lane has "gone rustic" on me and I've been thankful I wasn't riding a sport bike or sports tourer!

#14 ·
Ha:D This is seemingly very true. I have looked at one locally that is a very good price. Gettting back on a 650 felt right.... like a comfy armchair and more road orientated to the 600s I had. Definitely a Transalp is right up there in the requirements for me at this moment in time

VFR is a cracking bike, only if you're paying someone else to work on it. You need fingers like ET to work on the bloody things, however all that is forgotten when you open the taps up.
TDM is a great bike, very underrated. As Russ says you can get a real bargain too, they don't hold the money and we're heading towards winter now, could pick up a minter for next to sod all.

Rob
Went to South wales superbikes today for a view and it had many of my choices there. I can now count out the VFR . Only because the leg position is something my tired old bones wont get along with, which is a pity as Ive always fancied one. That also immediately ruled out another of my road bike fancies... a CBR600F. Real pity:(
I also sat for a while on a TDM900 and while I feel the seat is nice, I just felt there was a whole load of stuff ahead of me. It almost felt like a Ford Capri of motorcycling if that makes sense, but Im told the 850 is a bit squatter at the front so could be more appealing. my favourite TDM is the very first model, but Im told the second generation 850 is a better bike and engine.
I also sat aboard a Triumph Tiger 955i and that felt good, but Im dubious of what I could get in a 2k to 2.5k price range

#12 ·
VFR is a cracking bike, only if you're paying someone else to work on it. You need fingers like ET to work on the bloody things, however all that is forgotten when you open the taps up.
TDM is a great bike, very underrated. As Russ says you can get a real bargain too, they don't hold the money and we're heading towards winter now, could pick up a minter for next to sod all.

Rob

#17 ·
Ha no Nick:D Ive been getting my trail kicks now on my orange mountain bike, been doing loads recently. And its on my doorstep.... it also has a fitness benefit and involves far less political hassle and kit. And to boot Ive amazing trails 5 mins from my house. So to go out for a road blat is enough for me these days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.