Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, continuing the saga started by the rusted silencer, I removed the exhaust (what a faff that was!) so that I could then remove the swingarm and finally get some room the change the shock.

Cleaned up the swingarm this morning removing years of accumulated crud and chain grease. Noticed that there was damage to one of the seals (inboard, drive side) and removed it. This was what was inside -

View attachment 17537

Very manky with rust. Oh dear, better get the bearing out then -

View attachment 17538

The dark part of the spacer is where the bearing sits. Didn't take any photos of the rust coloured crap that came out of the bearing whilst I was washing it in paraffin - but it wasn't pretty.

Surprisingly the other bearings in the dog-bone and connecting link are absolutely fine. I'll be changing two of the seals as a precaution as there was very slight damage to the outside of them. Other than that they were fine.

So, more money on bearings and seals. :( Oh, and a new spacer to run in the new needle roller as I don't think the current one is serviceable. Still, at least I'll know the rear suspension bearings will be good for another (hopefully, long) while.

Oh Phil, I took your advice and have ordered sealed bearings for the none drive side.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
So, continuing the saga started by the rusted silencer, I removed the exhaust (what a faff that was!) so that I could then remove the swingarm and finally get some room the change the shock.

Cleaned up the swingarm this morning removing years of accumulated crud and chain grease. Noticed that there was damage to one of the seals (inboard, drive side) and removed it. This was what was inside -

View attachment 17537

Very manky with rust. Oh dear, better get the bearing out then -

View attachment 17538

The dark part of the spacer is where the bearing sits. Didn't take any photos of the rust coloured crap that came out of the bearing whilst I was washing it in paraffin - but it wasn't pretty.

Surprisingly the other bearings in the dog-bone and connecting link are absolutely fine. I'll be changing two of the seals as a precaution as there was very slight damage to the outside of them. Other than that they were fine.

So, more money on bearings and seals. :( Oh, and a new spacer to run in the new needle roller as I don't think the current one is serviceable. Still, at least I'll know the rear suspension bearings will be good for another (hopefully, long) while.

Oh Phil, I took your advice and have ordered sealed bearings for the none drive side.
Fit grease nipples when you put it back together and you won't need to worry about it again just pump some grease in from time to time

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Rather than use lithium grease, which is still very good, get a tube, or tub if feeling flush, of corrosion block. This is from the same company as ACF50 and can be used as a grease for these bearings and head bearings.
I wouldn't use it for axles or wheel bearings, but for what you're doing Lutin, it should last a long time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts