i think 600 transalp production was moved from Japan to Italy around 1997

some people say the build quality dropped then

·
Hill Rider
3,083 Posts
i think 600 transalp production was moved from Japan to Italy around 1997
Correct - my 1998 registerd machine was assembled in Italy

. . . some people say the build quality dropped then
Gotta say that this TA is manufactured & assemble as well as my 1991 Japan assembled bike was.

I have seen very poor European made Hondas though - both of the Deauvilles that I've had were not well finnished at all. Paint finish was terrible and the welding (only visible when the bodywork was removed) was diabolical.

Made in Spain I believe.

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
When I had a 99 TA600 I went to the Italian car/bike day in Bristol as it was an Italian built bike, raised some eyebrows, amused others.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #413 (Edited)

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
468 Posts
Finally got myself a TA :). It's a '99 registered bike with 3700 miles, bought from a friend who's owned it for around 11 yrs. It's in pretty good nick, really just needing a thorough clean, plus some touching-up of a couple of minor nicks in the paintwork where moved around the garage. Also, the seat could do with a new cover as the original has got stained by some sort of chemical overspray. I may get 'Chipsaway' to make good the paint nicks as they've done a good job on my car in the past, making chips/scratches totally vanish. Still on the original Trail Wings which are now about half worn. A factory workshop manual came with the bike, which will be useful in addition to the combined AT/TA Haynes book.
20200130_144004.jpg

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
468 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
Yeah, but like all these things, to achieve £3,000-£5,000 for an anniversary model it has to be showroom condition with super low miles

My advice is to ride it and enjoy it

Oh, and check the exhaust/silencer for rust. If need be, remove it, sand it down and treat it with rust treatment (Zinc 182 spray), then respray with black woodburner stove spray (as it's heat resistant). The original silencer looks much better than any aftermarket one, so it pays to keep it rust-free

401 - 420 of 479 Posts