Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to bed at 00:30 last night. About 01:45 something woke me up but I couldn't figure out what it was. The wife's not snoring, baby's not crying, there's a beeping noise which doesn't sound like the fire a... OMG my bike!! Jumped out of bed, looked out the window and saw that my bike was already out of sight. Grabbed a pair of shorts, shouted at the wife to call the police and ran down the stairs, slipped on the 5th one from the bottom, smashed part of the railing and slightly sprained my ankle. Grabbed the pepper spray (don't even go there....) and ran outside. Bloody hell it's freezing when you're only wearing shorts! Saw that my bike was lying on it's side, about 20 yards from my drive but couldn't see anyone else. Thought for a moment to go chasing into some dark alleys and beat the [email protected] out of anyone who crossed my path but fortunately extreme cold temperatures works wonders in diluting adrenaline.

So I went back to the house and got dressed proper. Thought about leaving the bike lying on it's side so as not to ruin any evidence but it was leaking petrol so I thought I'd better pick it up at least. Around 2:10 a cop car drives past but doesn't stop. Eventually I get a call from the cops around 2:45 saying that they could either come right now to take my statement or later today. Since I was still high on adrenaline I told them to come straight away. Since my house is a 6 minute walk from the cop shop I figured I should be in bed by 3:30. They eventually arrived at 3:45 and to be fair they both looked shattered. Apparently it has been a busy night. So back in bed by 4:30 but couldn't sleep until right before I had to get up. Aarrggghhhh!!!

Damage:

1 chain busted (to be honest it's a rubbish chain anyway)

1 Hand guard busted (Fortunately these only cost about £12 and they worked!)

Ignition completely stuffed. I can't get my key in to see if the steering lock has been broken too.

Fortunately my Motod crash bars took the impact of being dumped on the pavement, only suffering a couple of scratches. If you don't have crash bars get them now! If you're not going to drop the bike someone else will probably do it for you.

At least I still got the bike, but I'm definitely getting the biggest mother of a f... off chain I can lay my hands on. Any suggestions regarding the chain?

S

·
0 Posts
thats really crap! At least you still have the bike and the damage isn't too bad. I fortunatly keep my bike in a locked garage. Bet your glad you have an alarm.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I certainly am. Pretty sure this is the 3rd time the alarm saved this bike and it certainly saved my TDM as well. Definitely worth the money. Just wish I had a garage.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had the same thing about 6 months ago. We went out on a Saturday night came back and the bike was on its side. You are right the crash bars mine were also Motad saved the bike completely. I had no damage at all.

I lived abroad in "dangerous" Ukraine for 3 years and never had a problem of any sort. I also lived in Turkey for 2 years and never had a problem of any sort. I have been back in Britain for 6 months and already had my flat broken into, they tried to steal my bike, and a speed camera ticket !!! add that to the fact that it is also very overcrowded, ridicuosly expensive, BIG BROTHER nanny state control mentality, and rubbish weather and i would say that in Britain the quality of life is not up to much anymore no wonder everybody wants to leave !!!. Far better options abroad which is why i go back to Turkey in September can hardly wait.

Glad to see that you still got your bike.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Lootch, I had this email from Sound distribtution. I have this lock and it is a big mother. Never had it tampered with yet but ide had it battered with a sledge hammer. It took the longest for the thieves to get through.

May 2006
Motorcycle Security Squire Chain Offer

The RRP of Squire 1.2 Ride Best Buy Chain with SS50 lock has increased from £79.95 to £84.95. At Sound Distribution we have bought all the remaining stock at the old price and will continue to hold our price at £74.95 until stock runs out.

The Squire 1.8m MC6 with SS50 lock has also increased to £129.95 but we will hold our price at £119 while stocks last.

The link is: http://www.sounddistribution.co.uk/...otorcycle Security&subcategory=Lock and Chain

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Well, the sad fact is, if the Police had caught them, they would have sent them to court, only to have a telling off (without a slapped hand), a 1 month sentence cleaning graffitti, and they'd be back laughing their heads of nicking honest, respectable, hardworking people's bikes, within weeks.
A sad reflection of this Nanny state we live in, and Human Rights!

Personally, I would much rather that the story went something like this...

You pepper sprayed the little feckers.
Then caught them.
You tied the little turds up.
Kicked seven bells of $hit outta them.
Threw them in your cellar for a month, with a nasty hungry Rottweiler.
Got them out.
Took any ID off them
Drove them down to Beachy Head.
Put them on the edge.
THEN PUSHED THE LITTLE $HITES OFF!

Sorry to hear your bad news, but glad you got off lightly.
On a good note, the damage is minimal, and you should be able to get an ignition switch fairly cheap 2nd hand on eBay. It'll take you 15 mins to fit.
It's actually very east to hot wire it until then, but you may have to butcher the old ignition to get it off, if it's still in steering lock mode.
The bolts that hold it on a large Torx ones, so hopefully you have one of these.

Best Wishes

Bob

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boba, I can see we're going to get along just fine :lol: :lol: Don't think I have a "Torx" thingy though. Maverick will probably have one. Oh Mav....

Just had the "Scene of Crime" guys (actually it was a rather pretty lady) around who tried to get some fingerprints off the bike. Unfortunately they couldn't find a single usable one. At least they tried! Every time my car got broken into in South Africa the police would ask me if I wanted them to investigate. No, I was just feeling lonely that's why I called you! :twisted: Useless twats!

Interestingly enough (for me anyway) is that the first link they tried to cut wouldn't give. They tried three times. Still getting a bigger chain though.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Gawd, it makes me mad when I hear about scrotes messing with peoples stuff like this (had a yoof stick a phillips head screwdriver down the ignition of my 'alp many moons ago). Don't know what else to say except that I live in hope that people meet some suitably karmic justice in the near future.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Bloody hell! Glad you've still got it. The Almax chain is meant to be the daddy according to half of VD. My brother IL bought one and it certainly looks like it will do the trick.

S

·
0 Posts
i sort of wonder will society eventually change, in that it will just keep getting more and more legal until it cracks, and normal people are allowed to defend their property and belongings. It can't keep going the way it is. Here in Northern Ireland it was bad with the "troubles" but there wasn't the street crime there now is cause if you stepped out of line you got a good knee capping. Now all the wee turds have knives and don't think twice about sticking them in you. Bit of "self defense" beating won't do them any harm!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I need to get to work tomorrow and since I won't have a new ignition by then could someone please tell me how to hotwire the bike. Probably best if you PM me...

A

·
0 Posts
you have PM.

Hope they/you catch the b*st*rds.... Lock 'em in your garage for a month, and then bring them along on a africatwin meeting. A big line up will have a go at them then... :twisted:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
africatijn said:
A big line up will have a go at them then... :twisted:
This sounds like boarding school all over again.

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Glad you managed to hang on to your bike, Lootch. The gigantic chain sounds like a great idea!

Now, about that pepper spray... :lol: :lol:

Cheers
-Simon

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Bad luck Lootch, just glad youve still got the bike :D

Are you going for any extra security other than the chain - what about a u lock in each wheel or 2 disc locks - front and back. Just make it as difficult as possible for the fuckers to move the bike.

Dont mean to worry you, but if it were me, i'd be worried that they may come back ? (just hope for their sake that they dont).

And please - if you should bump into them just be carefull - i know the press are having a field day with the knives thing at the moment - wouldnt wish any of the @ crew to come to any harm.

I dont know if you would get a quicker response from the police - perhaps you could say 'i thought one of them had what looked like a gun!!!!!!' :lol: :lol:

·
Senior Moment
255 Posts
anton88 said:
I dont know if you would get a quicker response from the police - perhaps you could say 'i thought one of them had what looked like a gun!!!!!!' :lol: :lol:
"Someone tried to steal my bike so I shot him" would probably do the trick :)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had no intention of playing the Hero. Really!! Anyway, there's nothing heroic about beating these [email protected] to a pulp :lol: :lol:

The plan at the moment is to fit every single lock I have - two disc locks (one completely useless) and the existing chain and then cover it. Then I'm going to have to make the gate leading to the rear of the house a little bit bigger so I can fit the bike through.

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
cabbage2404 said:
What a F****D up country we live in eh?
Makes me feel ashamed :evil:
Unfortunately have to agree with you :oops: . Am seriously thinking about hopping off this shitty island at some point (possibly when my son gets a bit older).

Have some relatives in Oz, and every day at the moment its getting more and more tempting.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts