Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the kitchen this afternoon uncharacteristically early, I though I'd flip on the raddio to listen to the Charts. As a child we had to sit at the table and talk to each other at every meal save Sunday tea when we could have the Chart Show, so this was going to be a guilty pleasure.

What an unmitigated load of [email protected]!!!

Now I recognise that this might be a function of my age but my parents (fans of Frank Sinatra, Astrid Gilberto, Elvis, Nina Simone) had little difficulty seeing the musical merit in the music I listened to in the 1980s Charts, even if they didn't much like it. I however can't see ANY musical merit in the utterly derivative shyte that passes for Chart music now. And the sales figures are derisory.

Is there anyone on this site over about 25 who can find anything positive to say about the Charts? :confused:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I stopped listening to them years ago.
Just listening to the sh1te that the youth are playing through the tinny phone speakers make me feel sick.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Yeh it's your age... Next you will be telling me that you can't hear the words ;)

Remember these days it's download charts and to get in the top ten you only need to have 12 or so downloads.

If they did a show today of one hit wonders I am sure it would be endless!

Here I am sat in the garden listening to smack yer bitch up by the prodigy! Classic and I am 46..... I think?

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
they still run charts!!!!!!!!

must be getting old I stopped listening to them years ago.

at least my eldest has a half decent taste in music, the youngest is into that Justin Bobo or whatever he's called........

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
I have two daughters, 13 and 10. I am assaulted by this crap from they get up in the morning until they go to bed at night. I recently stayed up half the night to be first online when tickets for the Capital Summer Ball went on sale. Apparently persons known as Rhiana, Gaga and god knows who else I cant remember were going to be there and if my 13 year old didnt get to see them, she would apparently, die :rolleyes:
The trouble with such constant exposure, is, after a while, it starts to grow on you and you end up kinda liking it in a resentful sort of way.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
I don't know, I regularly listen to the charts and I'm an old f[email protected] :D
Some of the stuff is very good, I just don't get that rap stuff or garage ?? hip hop :confused:.
Went to see Muse with my two lads ( I'm a big fan of their's) and was blown away by the concert.

I think that just because you're presumed over the hill :confused:, you shouldn't be affected by other peoples opinions on what music you enjoy listening to.

I mean for gawds sake, last year at a festival, I was at the front row with my 14yr old daughter listening to Scouting for Girls :confused::confused:

Was I embarassed ----- ????

Nah -- I'd been to the beer tent all day :D:D:D

In actual fact, I thought they played to the crowd ( ie screaming girls and 1 no sad dad ) rather well --- actually quite enjoyed it :thumbup::thumbup::D:D

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
I last listened to radio 1 when DLT was on it,
There are a few modern groups that are not too bad though
some irish mob called U2 aint bad, that lot kaiser chiefs aint bad
merv

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
jizzy strides, titchy rascal, Ndubz, ladyboy gaga, K'naan bread, tiny temper, who are these aliens who speak jibberish and just cover better bands music?

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The terms of reference for the thread was 'the Charts'. There's no end of good music around - Broken Bells' first album was out two weeks ago as an example - but almost none of it is in the Charts.

The impression I am left with is that the Charts has become a show almost exclusively for black club music but is no indication of what is going on in the music scene.

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Dale Winton does Pick of the Pops part two on Saturday after Jonny Ross on Radio Two, much better chart music if you can put up with him. :rolleyes:

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
As someone who works in the music business, I can't let this one slide :D

The charts these days are no longer representative of what's going on because of a number of things.

1. Sales are lower. Sales should no longer be the leading factor in creating charts, for the simple reason that they are too low to be representative. You could include downloads through "less-than-legal" means as a way of counteracting this, but that will bias it even more towards youngsters.

2. Physical singles no longer exist (at least not in the UK, and most other European territories), meaning a whole demographic that still buys physical product is excluded, again skewing the charts towards the online population.

3. Music culture has changed irrevocably. It used to be that there were few national radio stations, fewer TV stations, and a big press. Therefore, the breadth of music making it the mass market was fairly limited. These days, there is a digital MTV station for every single niche music genre. This also means that the "super artists" of old are essentially past. It used to be that an act would pickup momentum and eventually you'd hear it everywhere. These days, media is too fragmented for that to happen.

4. Kids are no longer "Pop" "Rock" or "Hiphop" their tastes are all over the place, someone could be hiphop one day, goth the next (happened with one of my friends sons, in baggy jeans one day, dyed his hair black the next).

All this means that charts lose their relevance. There are 2 reasons we still have charts:

1. Music business is run by people who grew up on them, and chart position still means an awful lot to music industry execs (record label bosses are judged by their ability to sign and market "top 10 acts, HMV buyers look at chart performance, radio/tv programmers look at chart performance).

2. People love charts, not just the music kind either. The 50 biggest celebrity divorces, the Top Gear lap time board, etc... It's how we rank & sort information in everyday life.

Eventually, a new way will be found for music charts to stay relevant. Facebook and similar platforms will have a big role to play here. Imagine a chart based on recommendations from your friends (maybe not Vader, unless you want marching band music in your chart :D:D:D) and experts you trust (certain reviewers who are in-line with your taste, etc).

If you're a power-user of services like Last.fm and Spotify, you can already get close to this, but we're not there yet...

JB

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Love it or hate it, I-tunes has charts for the most downloaded each week.
Looking at the list it is so jumbled any chance of making sense of the tastes of the trends is almost impossible.
Although you sometimes see artists like Katherine Jenkins and Katie Melua in them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts