Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...well, something behind the clocks is anyway!

Had my first proper rain soaking on the way home last night, and about 15 minutes into the journey I became aware of this ticking sound coming from the area of the clocks.

No, I hadn't left the indicator on!! Although it was almost exactly the noise the repeater makes, and strangely when I did use the turn signals, the ticking stopped, to be replaced with the usual ticking of the indicator. Switch off the turn signal and it starts again!

It dried out a little overnight and after about 10 minutes of a dry ride back into work this morning it had stopped. Rainy again on the way home and it started again! I'm guessing there's some moisture getting into the indicator repeater...it doesn't appear to be having any ill effect on anything, it's just a little bit annoying and unnerving! I keep waiting for all the lights to go out or something! :bom:

Any thoughts?!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You've triggered the built in Honda self destruct.
If the Bike gets wet, it starts to count down before total corrosion occurs.

The only solution is to NEVER take your bike out in the wet ever again

....................... See I told you my reply would be B0ll0x !

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
You're spot on!

The indicator relay is not totally sealed and, although the rubber cage holds it 'sealed-side up', water still gets in. After a while corrosion causes a short inside. I took mine off, levered the plastic end plate out, scraped the terminals clean with a knife and washed the interior out with WD40. Then, I dried the WD40 off the end plate area, and used clear silicon sealant to totally seal the unit. It worked fine, but the worse case scenario would be to get a new relay. They are at least cheap and available from Halfords!

Hope that helps.

Stig

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
It's the furthest to the offside - easy to get hold of. You should be able to just about see it when you're sitting on the bike, right under the temperature gauge. I think it slides off sideways.....

Stig

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
As a follow up, my indicator relay gave up the ghost yesterday after over 6 months since I 'repaired' it. I'd noticed the ticking noise had returned last week, and yesterday the indicators started to flash unevenly. Eventually they stopped entirely. I bought a car unit from Halfords (£9.45), some spade connectors to replace the original box connector, and cable tied the unit to the old rubber carrier. It works a treat, but the spade connectors look a bit of a mess (lucky they aren't visible). I have no idea what Honda want for an OE relay but, based on the fact the original wasn't sealed, I wouldn't have one anyway!

Stig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts