Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Be intersting to see who gets blammed for it this time, or what type of music or what video game he / she was playing at the time.

Why do the let americans loose with weapons, it like asking McDonalds to look after your cow you know it's not going to end well.
I'd like to know the full story of how it happened in an area so secure as the Navy Yard. Doubt we will ever know the truth on that though

BBC News - 'Multiple' people killed at Washington Navy Yard

Reactions: Cabby

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
It looks like 12 people have been murdered. No one knows at this moment who the killers are let alone if they are even American! Just out of interest did you have the same reaction about the norwegion people when that nutter killed all those kids??

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Well, I for one didn't think "What, again?" after the Norwegian thing...

President Barack Obama said he mourned "yet another mass shooting".
Four words that should never be in that order. If they are, then maybe that's a sign of a problem bigger than some lone nutter.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Letting the general public own automatic weapons is never going to end well.
There are quite a few people in the world who dont like our colonial cousins.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It looks like 12 people have been murdered. No one knows at this moment who the killers are let alone if they are even American! Just out of interest did you have the same reaction about the norwegion people when that nutter killed all those kids??
Says alot about the American mentality doesn't it "Nobody knows who they are or if they are American" speculation aswell over "are they Miltary?" which also says alot about American Security ( how easy is it to get onto a military base) seeing this base is the biggest and supposedly most secure naval instalment with various levels of security. The country full of the BIG I AM's that has never won a war ( only the American civil war) can't even keep it's own instalments secure for one reason or other

No i didn't say the same things about the Norwegion as it doesn't happen ever few months there. If you questioning how people are responsible with weapons at home then you need to look to Switzerland as they have the highest gun ownership per capita in the world as they are all conscripts and keep there weapons at home and i can't remember hearing of anybody from that country going loopy and killing dozens of people.

So with the correct respect for weapons they are safe to keep at home, just not in American hands. Before you go any further just to inform you i do have Family in the USA New York City and Buffalo

Letting the general public own automatic weapons is never going to end well.
There are quite a few people in the world who dont like our colonial cousins.
Agree with that

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guns aren't even necessarily the problem, but I'll bet the (mental) health care, or lack thereof, is.
I agree with that aswell, however if you restrict firearms being issued to civvies and stop anybody from being able to go into just about anyshop and buy them then the amount of inciddents will drop

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
I'm pretty sure America doesn't have a monopoly on dangerous half-wits who should never be given access to lethal force......
Look around you people.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I agree with that aswell, however if you restrict firearms being issued to civvies and stop anybody from being able to go into just about anyshop and buy them then the amount of inciddents will drop
Sure, but the same thing can be said for tying them all down to their beds.

People "going postal" practically never do so without any warning whatsoever, despite comments to the contrary. You don't just flip a switch one day and go from perfectly normal human being to crazy mass murderer. There will be a history full of signs, if people are willing to look for it. Which Americans in general obviously aren't, because that requires, you know, care for their fellow human beings, which costs money. All well and good but not if it raises taxes. :rolleyes:

That it comes out as a mass shooting seems to be a cultural thing. Big statement, claiming your God-given 15m of All-American fame, easy availability of weapons, copycat-ism by now, you name it. Taking away the guns (which in general is a good idea anyway, mind) reduces the body count, but not necessarily the core problem. He might just as easily have taken a baseball bat to his long-suffering wife or neighbour, except you don't hear about those in the news.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
On a visit to some friends in Portland Oregon, my friend showed me his gun collection.
When I asked him why he needed so many guns in a residential area, he said it was to protect himself and his family.
I am so glad I live in a country where the only people carrying weapons are the police, the military and the occasional farmer.
Leave the yanks to their guns and hope they stay where they are,far away from civilised people.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On a visit to some friends in Portland Oregon, my friend showed me his gun collection.
When I asked him why he needed so many guns in a residential area, he said it was to protect himself and his family.
I am so glad I live in a country where the only people carrying weapons are the police, the military and the occasional farmer.
I think the same thing, no need to have semi / fully automatic weapons at home for any reason if you need to protect your family that way move out of the sh*t hole where you live.

I remember some months back being at a mates place and he was watching a programme on discovery about them. There was open baron land and they had a soot em up. These people turned up towing anti aircraft guns, mini guns anything you could think off really. Why would anybody in there right mind think that they are toys to play with. Idiots the lot of em on the show, little men with huge ego's and a small penis and brain i expect

Guess it's all down to the constitution which gives "The right to bear arms" dispite the fact i suspect few have read the constitution and even less of those few probably understood

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
On a visit to family on Vancouver Island in Canada, I stayed on their cattle ranch and was given access to their guns, I managed to shoot a goose and we had it for dinner.
Guns are fine if you want to go bag yourself some food but fully automatic weapons in the hands of civilians is a recipe for disaster.
I watched some ******* reality TV recently about duck hunters in the US and one of them was using a M-16 assault rifle, how much duck would be left to eat after spraying it with one of them? (only in america)

·
Registered
338 Posts
"Right to bear arms" might have been a sensible option in December 1791 when America was in it's infancy. It was understandable that ordinary folks needed to protect their land & possession's, so making guns legal was the only & sensible option.
Move on 250+ years & it becomes hard for societies like ourselves to understand their mentality.
What we don't understand is that the yanks don't have any proper history so they blindly hang on to some antiquated law that they see as the foundation stone of their history.
250 yrs history is sweet F*** All too us, but too them it's the beginning of time !!
We had an exchange student stay with us for a year & she was clueless toward other cultures. It was USA first & last & why isn't everything else the same as America !!

I've got no time for the D*ckheads...
If we had their mentality we'd still be living in caves or frightened to go to sea because we'd fall off the end of the earth :rolleyes:
Thinking about it, that wouldn't have been such a bad thing because Columbus would never of discovered the bloody place :thumb:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I had the misfortune to work on an American military base in Germany as a carpenter and they are not the most intelligent beings in this universe we occupy..
Most only signed up because they got a free credit to go to university and the rest were law breakers that had the choice to join up or go to prison for their crimes.
My favourite pastime would be to visit our local english pub in Frankfurt on a friday night with the lads, first the british soldiers would turn up for a night out, then the yanks would turn up and mayhem would swiftly follow.
All good clean fun.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
752 Posts
You can pick up illegal weapons with relative ease if you really want to do harm to others. The problem here is not the weapons, but of how freely available they are when something happens to the mental state of someone with them. This does not happen overnight and regular screening and renewal of licences would flag this up.

I am personally of the opinion that if I want to use an assault rifle at a firing range I shouldn't be told by any government that I can't (although we are in the UK which p*sses me off no end), I should however be subject to severe scrutiny inline with the severity of the weapon I wish to be in charge of along with strict limits on the amount of ammunition that can be kept.

It's not the weapons, it's complacency from those that control access to them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You can pick up illegal weapons with relative ease if you really want to do harm to others. The problem here is not the weapons, but of how freely available they are when something happens to the mental state of someone with them. This does not happen overnight and regular screening and renewal of licences would flag this up.
With all due respect... Anyone who wants to get their hands on an illegal weapon isn't of a very stable mindset anyway !!
Things do happen overnight... Catching the missis in bed with another bloke / Trouble down the pub or with neighbours / Break in's etc... People loose their head in moments of extreme stress as much as if they have a long degrading of their mental state & if guns are at hand the outcome's a lot worse

I'm in my late 40's & have never had any inkling to purchase even an air pistol. I have no use for a firearm no matter what type & anyone who says "well if you get an intruder" etc. They're deluded, because this countries laws don't allow you to blow someone away because they're going through your house... Just roll your sleeve's up & give the tw*t an hiding :cool:

I am personally of the opinion that if I want to use an assault rifle at a firing range I shouldn't be told by any government that I can't (although we are in the UK which p*sses me off no end), I should however be subject to severe scrutiny inline with the severity of the weapon I wish to be in charge of along with strict limits on the amount of ammunition that can be kept.

It's not the weapons, it's complacency from those that control access to them.
Anyone who wants to use an assault rifle at a firing range should have to keep the thing there. It should never leave that building & be strictly supervised...
Obviously your a gun user & that's fair enough, but to folk who don't have your interests, we don't want guns in the community no matter how well the person or weapons are regulated.
Ammunition-wise, 1 bullets enough to wreck an innocent family, so there's no argument as I see it.

I don't know if you have kids or not ? But let me put it this way...
You wouldn't want a convicted peado moving in next door because of your kids safety.
So why should someone be allowed an assault rifle in their home ?... For our safety :(

They may be strictly regulated, but the public don't know they have the weapon. If the person's been up 3 nights solid playing 'call of duty' or watching 'saving private Ryan' & their marbles have gone, it's not until half of the town's dying in the street that we realise they had the weapon...

Look at Micheal Ryan (Hungerford) & Thomas Hamilton (Dunblane) amongst others... Nonone knew either was mentally unstable until it was too late & both legally held those weapons !!

Become a mercenary & get paid to shoot an assault rifle... It's the best of all worlds :D

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yes I am a gun user (although shotguns for clays these days), it is a sport I enjoy very much as do many others, I'm sure however many others do not understand why I would. If I wish to partake in that sport above a certain calibre I am forced to go to other countries.

The Hungerford and Dunblane events were tragic and actually show our failings in controlling weapons, it is these failings which continue in America but those that are law abiding people going about their business will pay the price for the authorities not wishing to address the issue correctly; either by becoming a victim from that poor control or less important; those that can no longer enjoy a sport of their choice.

As for your mention of Hungerford and Dunblane, Michael Ryan (Hungerford) was thought to be both schizophrenic and psychotic by psychologists who examined the evidence after the event, repeated and thorough tests for his firearms licence would have likely shown this up, or at least indicated all was not 100% at which point these weapons could have beenremoved from him.

Thomas Hamilton (Dunblane) had been black listed by the Scouts organisation (semi naked photos of boys) and had repeatedly made claims insinuating persecution by police/scouts/locals after his shop went down the pan. These days he'd be dragged through the courts for the accusations that created the blacklist, let alone having his weapons removed. Again, this behaviour with thorough and regular psychological evaluation would flag something up, even if it was only to have those weapons he legally owned left at a gun club as a precaution while more tests were done.

I have no burning need to have a gun in my house and would understand why your neighbour wouldn't want you to either, I have no issue with leaving firearms at a gun club you require strict and severe testing to be a member of. I am always against banning something because the authorities find it easier than implementing proper regulation, I feel allowing that to happen, no matter what it is or how insignificant you feel it is, that is where it all starts. At what point are we told we can no longer ride a bike because too many people have been killed by one and that will avoid it?

By this same token, banning something which can kill, best stop us all owning scissors, kitchen knives, baseball bats, bricks will have obviously have to go, no more glass bottles, best ban toasters as they're dangerous, do you see what I mean?

A car can devastate a family and kill as quickly and easily in the wrong hands as a firearm, a motorbike also, stricter regulation and enforcement are what is required to reduce that risk and as avid users of these we would encourage this to keep our sport, but never banning because of the actions of the minority.

By the way, I have the same opinion on banning things I have no interest in also before that is mentioned. Regulation not restriction is always the key, we're an intelligent species which should be able to make our own decisions, not have these options removed from us.

And as for becoming a mercenary, I have no interest in anything more than to compete with myself and a target.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
One day, our childrens, childrens ,children will look back in history and hopefully realise what a destructive war mongering race of people we were and be able to live life in peace and not have to worry about their neighbours running amok with weapons of any kind.
Leave it to the politicians and world leaders, they will sort it all out for us. :toothy3::toothy3::toothy3: right?
Now excuse me,there are some men in white coats at the door wanting to take me some place nice.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
By this same token, banning something which can kill, best stop us all owning scissors, kitchen knives, baseball bats, bricks will have obviously have to go, no more glass bottles, best ban toasters as they're dangerous, do you see what I mean?
I see what you're trying to get at, but if we point your slippery slope reasoning the other way we'd also have to regulate instead of outright ban the ownership of nuclear weapons. It might have a use!

(Ooh, that'll put the purple flashing lights on at NSA central!)

There is a big difference between buying a car and buying a fully functional M1 Abrams tank for the weekly shopping. Even if they get used for completely innocent purposes, one of these options has a bit of extra baggage I'd be concerned about. Do you see what I mean?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts