Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 2 Transalps (both '97 600s and a TDM900 inbetween) and nearly 60,000 miles, a new bike is sought. Trouble is I quite fancy a V-Strom 650. I feel dirty and unfaithful even thinking about it. The Transalp is a tough act to follow and has set the standard for day after day reliability. I just can't help lusting after that extra 15-20hp. Has anybody here got experience owning a Wee-Strom? Help me!!
The one thing that concerns me is valve adjustments. Easy(ish) with screw and locknut (Transalp). Not so with shim and bucket (V-Strom).

Rob
ps. I rarely go off-road but the roads where I live are covered in mud, pot holes and diesel. That's why I ride a traily.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Have two bikes mate! That's what I do, I have my S4 for when I want a blast, but as you say nothing beats the TA for everyday use. I justified two bike by ditching dealer servicing and doing it all myself - apart from valve adjustments haha! I can't be doing with it and let a local garage do it.

jmho.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I prefer doing valve shims.O.K. it's a bit more hassle at the time but they seem to stay in adjustment for longer.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I prefer doing valve shims.O.K. it's a bit more hassle at the time but they seem to stay in adjustment for longer.
I used to have access to a tool that compressed the valve spring so you could pop the old shim out and a new one in.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think they're shim under buckets so it's a 'cams out' job. Never done one of those. :confused::confused:

rob
Sounds like they are trying to stop the home servicing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts