Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
On Youtube, BMW's promo, there is. By a friend of ours, uploaded, it was:

The new 2013 BMW R1200GS - YouTube

Not sure how they got clearance to ride through a game reserve on a bike! I suspect us ordinary Joes wouldn't be allowed.

Nice images but not really informative. Any ideas why the inlet is now above, and the exhaust now below, the cylinder head?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Nice images but not really informative. Any ideas why the inlet is now above, and the exhaust now below, the cylinder head?
nowt about the bike, selling a fantasy that 99.999% GS's will never experience, getting out the garage on a rainy day let alone going off road. :rolleyes:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
On Youtube, BMW's promo, there is. By a friend of ours, uploaded, it was:

The new 2013 BMW R1200GS - YouTube

Not sure how they got clearance to ride through a game reserve on a bike! I suspect us ordinary CHARLIES wouldn't be allowed.
Fixed it for you Dave

Notice they have swapped the exhaust over to the other side so you have to buy all new gear !

·
Administrator
1,781 Posts
Any ideas why the inlet is now above, and the exhaust now below, the cylinder head?
Putting the inlets above the heads gets the throttle bodies etc out of the way of the riders' shins. Also, I understand that fitting 2 camshafts/4 valves in the head was a problem on the boxers, and meant that each cam drove one inlet and one exhaust valve... the camshafts ran horizontally. Putting the inlet tractss above the head, and the exhaust tractss below, means that, now, the upper camshaft drives only inlet valves, and the lower only exhausts, which, presumably, makes manufacture easier. They couldn't do this with air-cooled heads - had to keep the exhaust port right out in the airstream - but with water cooling the port can be well-cooled regardless of its orientation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts