Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DFDS Ferry line Esbjerg - Harwich will close down the 29'th of september this year.
Transportation of freights will be diverted to the line Esbjerg - Immingham.
Transportation of passengers between Denmark and the UK will be closed down, due to lack of passengers and the competition from low price airlines.
The new rules for low emission fuels for ships causing more expensive fuel costs also adds to desicion of closing down the route.
The ferry line has been in operation since 1875

This means that there are no longer any easy ways of transporting your self and the bike from Sweden/Denmark/Norway to Great Britain by ferry.

/Kjell

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
First Fred Olson goes (newcastle - Bergen). My first terrifying trip across the North sea in 1975.

Now DFDS ? :( I played the first ever Vinyl record on a DFDS ships disco,aboard the MS Winston Churchill in around 1976.(That was the start of the 30 day musicians sea contract) Unchartered territory for record players,The engines vibrated so much I had to put a couple of 2p coins on the needles to stop the records bouncing . Eventually, for when the weather was really rough we were aloud to play pre recorded cassettes and go to the bar to get pi**ed along with all the punters. Pioneering days !!! :D:D

·
Registered
348 Posts
And we Scots have even further to even get to a ferry port since the Rosyth service packed in. Boy! That drive to the Channel has got to be the most tedious, tyre-wasting trip on Earth ! I even thought of getting a luton van with a tail lift, load up the bikes and fly to Southampton but no bu**er would do the driving! AAAAAARGH ! We're marooned I tell ye, marrrrrooooned ! (Apologies to Dad's Army)

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
You could get the ferry from Newcastle to Holland and drive to Denmark, it's not that far. :)

Andy.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've used that ferry a couple of times going to balloon meets in Sweden…not the smoothest of crossings:happy6:
Haven't used since the late 80s though.

Is the Harwich-Hamburg ferry still going? Used that one a lot when I lived up in Kiel...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts