Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
chrisb
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend doing a bit of travelling this summer, visiting our European Continental Cousins and the awful thought has crossed my mind about the possibly of “loosing the wind beneath my wheels” ..sound like a good song mayhaps ? The dreaded puncture.
I have changed a tyre in the comfort ( relative comfort) of the back yard and had to hand a few large clamps to break the bead. Can I draw on the experience of those that walk amongst us that have actually removed wheel..lifted tyre..removed tube..patched or replaced tube ( I intend bringing spare tubes ) reversed it all up and rode off into the sunset. And all at the side of the road or thereabouts. How to break the bead. I have heard of using the sidestand ! With one wheel removed ? Don’t think so. I have seen a photo at some stage of an off-road bike, with wheel still on, tyre lifted off rim and tube out for patching…neat trick..
Any tips, tricks, Mc Ivors etc. greatly appreciated ….. just in case ;)
Chris

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
punctureseal.

·
chrisb
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Puncture Seal..Slime etc.. Doesn't seem to be everyone's cup o' tea. Been reading some poor results, especially of the "tubed" varieties.
Maybe?

·
Registered
924 Posts
i had a puncture end of last week, back tyre... with the correct amount of the puncture seal stuff sold on rugged roads in the tube... a simple small nail straight into the tyre... into the tube... flat as a pancake.

its only 1 experience, but it doesnt exactly persaude me to put any more in next time.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You should not have any problems getting the tyre off if you are only useing tube type tyres, just useing your heel works ok.
Tubeless tyres and sealed to the wheel for a air tight seal and therefor are much harder.
The most problem your'll get is trying to reseat the tyre back on to the rim (bloody awkward) I use to use washing-up liquid-----hey it worked:thumbup:----
and it also seemed to protect the ali rims from corrosion somehow

·
Registered
924 Posts
I use to use washing-up liquid-----hey it worked:thumbup:----
and it also seemed to protect the ali rims from corrosion somehow
i was once told not to use washing up liquid as it acted on metal in the same way as high levels of salt would... cant vouch for how true that is though.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
i was once told not to use washing up liquid as it acted on metal in the same way as high levels of salt would... cant vouch for how true that is though.
Been useing washing-up liquid since 1974 and had no corrosion issues on my wheels:thumbup:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Chris b,

Practice, practice the only way.
I used to simulate an off road experience, ie using basic tool kit carried on the bike in my garage. It takes a while, but you soon get up to speed.
Then you wonder what all the fuss is about :thumbup:

Good luck

In saying that I haven't changed a tyre for yonks now :D

Note to self --- start now :D:D:D

·
chrisb
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks for replies. Good point Paul about tubed v's tubeless sealing on the rim. I never thought about that. I hope you are right should the need arise about breaking the bead with your heel. The last tyres I removed here, front and rear, were both tubeless /alloy BMW Wheels and both tyres had been on since Noah's time. If you were to do that every week you could quit the Gym membership. I had pains where I did'nt have places after it.
Chris

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have just changed the rear Tourance on my TA.I found it a real struggle,the tyre was rock hard.It wasn't until afterwards I had a look for the date on the sidewall of the tyre,it was nine years old.No wonder the rubber had gone hard.

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
My tips:
(Practice!!)
WD40 makes it easier to break the bead, remove the tyre etc.
Slime in tubes works well against the little things - blackthorn etc
Ultra HD tubes too, the 7mm MX ones if you can get them.
Being willing to lay the bike on its side. Turn petrol off first.

As has been said, do it using your "trail" tools. Even go as far as to buy a new tyre, and go for a ride, change the tyre somewhere else!!

I'm no expert, slow, but you can even change tyres without getting out of bed! (But I c an't find the photo to prove it - 2008 Ryedale I think!)

·
Registered
361 Posts
When I had my @ 650 I had a total of 4 punctures, on all of them I changed the tyre in the field with no problem, one of them was when I used my bike for work to meet someone on a building site, to the amusement of the site workers I changed it there and then, I have never got on with Puncture Seal type stuff and have ended up changing the tube anyway which is then full of the sticky tyre seal which makes the tube useless to reuse and you end up throwing it away, the trick is practice the more you do it the easier it becomes, I have always changed my own tyres and until I got my KTM 950 Adventure I thought I was good at it. If you get a puncture while riding the bike, the tyre will come off the rim a lot easier as it will be warn, when changing a tube I always take the tyre completely off the rim pump the new tube up enough to keep the shape,( hold the tyre/rim upright pull the rim one way and the tyre the other then put your knee on the tyre and push down this will remove the tyre from the rim) put it in the tyre then put the valve through the hole in the rim, lay the tyre on the ground with the rim on top of the tyre, kick/push the rim onto the tyre starting with the opposite to the valve this will get the tyre onto one side of the rim, then stand on the tyre this will push the tyre into the well of the rim, them use your tyre levers to put the rest of the tyre on, never go passed 90° with your levers as this will increase the risk of pinching the tube, the longer the levers the easier it is but on the bike my levers or only 5” long I also have a built in 12 volt compressor to pump the tyres with a hand pump backup. I have also used the method on 4X4 tyres when I’ve had puncture on them.
PS I have found that washing up liquid makes the tyre sick to the rim which makes it harder to get the tyre off next time round.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
sorry, didnt read the post properly. you can use punctureseal in tubes but i have heard it doesnt work as well as in tubeless, something to do with the tube and tyre rubbing or something. i have had it in most of my tyres on several bikes and to date its caught nine punctures that i know about, probably several more that i dont. mostly tubeless tyres, for some reason my triumph rear was very prone to punctures. my tubed XT600E has it in but i dont think ive ever had a puncture in it so i dont know how it would work (punctureseal leaves a little purple dot when it comes out so you know)

to get tyres on easy my tyre bloke says to always use proper tyre soap because it washes off afterwards without leaving a slippery layer. mr sheen works fantastic but leaves wax on the wheel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts