Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Xi dwejjaq member
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yikes !

Seventh oil and filter (Kyoto) change, this at 14,842 miles from new.
Evidence of metal filings ... any ideas as to the source ... should I be panicking ?

·
Xi dwejjaq member
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get anything similar on any of the previous changes?
Not a sign at all of anything amiss.

Original oil & filter changed at 500, then o&f at 1,500 miles, then o&f again at 3,000, 6,000, 9,000, 12,000 and now, at 14,842 miles. More often than the service manual recommends.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It does look a bit concerning. Any idea whether it's ali or steel? Most engines produce a little debris during the first few thousand miles (hence earlier question), but it's usually a fine dust and for it to suddenly occur after 14 thou seems a bit odd. Thoughts are;

1. Debris collected in engine recess during first miles, and finally dislodged: has the bike been, ahem, laid on its side for long? The troughs that trap oil to keep the cam lobes lubricated can collect quite a bit of debris.
2. Debris was in filter from new. I have had a filter with this, luckily saw it as I was installing it, went back to the shop and the whole batch had the machining debris from the screw thread in the bottom. Unlikely in your case, as the debris is on the outside.
3. Worst case, it's engine wear. If so, best to find out asap, or at least before you put any more miles on it. Don't know this particular engine, but usual likely culprits are rockers (have you checked clearances, and were they loose?), gear teeth (any changing problems?), spacer/thrust washer problem causing wear. Plenty of other possibilities, but could really do with knowing if the debris is ali or steel.

If you can't find anything obvious, I'd look at the top end first, cam and rockers: don't know whether you can see anything through the tappet covers without taking the top off. Might be worth doing a compression test, but in the end, a visual inspection is the only way. Incidentally, is the bike under warranty, and did the shop do the oil changes?

I expect someone who knows these engines better will chime in soon. I really hope it's nothing serious.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Have you had any top end noises on it at all ?
My mate had one that started making noises from the top end almost like a cam chain tensioner noise he didn't worry about it then it sounded like a bag of spanners on the motor. When we looked at it part of the cam shaft decomp unit broke up. Needed a new cam shaft rocker cover and some machining to the head.
Not saying thats happening to yours though, is it drinking any oil? if not i wouldn't worry too much about it

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Re: Ferrousity

It sounds like something wearing against the cases or the head. Candidates could be camshaft, assuming it runs directly in the head, camchain rubbing the sides of the tunnel (duff tensioner: any noises?), or any of the gears touching the cases (a bearing or thrust washer worn). All the bits in the photo look quite small, so there may not be any serious damage. Sounds like time for a strip-down, starting at the top. If you leave it and keep running it, you might be lucky, but if you strip it to make sure and there's nothing serious, it will only cost you the gaskets and your time.

There must be someone on here who knows these engines: come on, speak up.

·
Xi dwejjaq member
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Top off

Source of the filings investigation continues ...

Nothing untoward revealed inside on this side ...

... and nothing untoward revealed inside on this side.

Torch shone down the cam-chain cavity, careful scrutiny ... nowt amiss.

Next, the 'short oil change.'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts