Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I disconnected everything, drained the oil/coolant etc etc etc

My new best mate Joe arrived and we set to sorting the engine mounts etc.

It all went quite smoothly and the engine left the frame without any skinned knuckles. Got the new engine ready, did the valves, they were pretty much ok but a couple needed adjusting. Used some 8mm rod to make a new stud (wound it right in). One hiccup, the single bolt that holds the chrome pipe coming out of the new engine sheared off I changed that over, water pump as well as my original was in better nick but other than that no dramas.

The new engine went in easier than the old one came out. Very surprised. People can do it on their own but it is dead easy with two of you.

By this time, light was failing so as it stands in the shed I need to refit the rads/coolant pipes, carbs and bodywork. All electrics are reconnected, and lastly I need to refill oil and fit new filter. Both coolant and oil will be dropped in 500 miles or so and all checked again.

Not too hard and Haynes is a god-send.:blob::thumbup::toothy3:

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts
Well, I disconnected everything, drained the oil/coolant etc etc etc

My new best mate Joe arrived and we set to sorting the engine mounts etc.

It all went quite smoothly and the engine left the frame without any skinned knuckles. Got the new engine ready, did the valves, they were pretty much ok but a couple needed adjusting. Used some 8mm rod to make a new stud (wound it right in). One hiccup, the single bolt that holds the chrome pipe coming out of the new engine sheared off I changed that over, water pump as well as my original was in better nick but other than that no dramas.

The new engine went in easier than the old one came out. Very surprised. People can do it on their own but it is dead easy with two of you.

By this time, light was failing so as it stands in the shed I need to refit the rads/coolant pipes, carbs and bodywork. All electrics are reconnected, and lastly I need to refill oil and fit new filter. Both coolant and oil will be dropped in 500 miles or so and all checked again.

Not too hard and Haynes is a god-send.:blob::thumbup::toothy3:
well done............good job. all sounds great so far.will you be finishing off tomorrow ready for the big fire up ?? ade

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well done............good job. all sounds great so far.will you be finishing off tomorrow ready for the big fire up ?? ade

Not sure. The mrs let today go with good grace and she had little ones all day - got to do tesco and hollow trees farm tomorrow (for the kids) so it may well be a bit here and there but all the tough stuff done - needs an MOT soon as well so may take my time.

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts
Not sure. The mrs let today go with good grace and she had little ones all day - got to do tesco and hollow trees farm tomorrow (my favourite !) so it may well be a bit here and there but all the tough stuff done - needs an MOT soon as well so may take my time.
fixed it for ya.:thumbup: made good progress there mate. yep,maybe another day stuck in on the bike maybe pushing your luck somewhat:rolleyes: cheers. keep us updated ok.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fixed it for ya.:thumbup: made good progress there mate. yep,maybe another day stuck in on the bike maybe pushing your luck somewhat:rolleyes: cheers. keep us updated ok.
I do like going to the farm, you get to feed the goats and pigs and cows and chickens, then you get to go to the cafe and have a cooked breakie and then you get to shop for some local food/booze that is way better than tesco etc.

Hollow Trees

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Good work on the engine swap, how was the frame in the hidden parts?
Much corrosion?

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
None that you couldn't see and under the grime it is sound - cleaned it up and then GT85'd it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts