Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i have recently bought an africa twin off here. the first of many questions are:

- is there a micro fiche showing exploded diagrams and part numbers so i can get down to ordering new bits ?.

- the tyres fitted at the moment are road tyres and look a bit puny,i'm not going to off road it but would like a more knobbly larger tyre to look a bit beefier, any suggestions and pics of ones fitted to yours.

- the front headlight grille has two different screws fitted, a cross head one and an alen key one, which is correct ?.

- it has red screws holding the screen on , should they be black ?.

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Re: the fist of many questions

Hello Holla

Welcome!

First of all, what type of Africa Twin do you have? There are basically three types, the RD03 (650cc), the RD04 (early 750cc), and RD07 (the final 750cc bikes). These three are all different.

Some of the earlier RD03's came with a headlamp guard standard from the factory, and these are fitted with two large, chrome flanged crosshead screws. It is possible to get aftermarket guards for the later bikes.

If you are a purist and want the screws on the screen to look original, I believe all models came with black (plated/Japan'ed) domed cross head screws, secured into rubber well nuts.

On the tyre front, if you want an off-road looking tyre that performs very well on the road, general concensus here is that the Continental TKC80 is the pick of the bunch. There are other options of course. I believe there is a forum discount available if you order these tyres from Busters and quote the VARADERO10 code.

Microfiches are available for all the models under the Tech Data link in the top right of your screen.

Great choice of bike, and you're in the right place for questions about it!

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Bob, sorry i forgot to say its an rd03, it is mentioned in the for sale section from about 3 weeks ago from a guy going under the name pictish, i dont know if you were aware of it ?.

I'm going to have a good look at it at weekend but first impressions are its in good original condition but i'll probably still spend thousands on it as i always seem to do with my bikes :lol:.

Thanks again.

·
I need a hug!
1,231 Posts
Hi Holla.

Great choice of bike mate, there are many members here who are very clued up on the RD03 and will be more than willing to offer advice and enjoy giving it too so, ask away, all it will cost you is to stick some pics on here of your new bike. We all like looking at bikes here:rolleyes:.

Rog.:thumbup:

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts

Thanks Bob, sorry i forgot to say its an rd03, it is mentioned in the for sale section from about 3 weeks ago from a guy going under the name pictish, i dont know if you were aware of it ?
If that's the one I'm thinking of, I bid on it on ebay when I bought my bike just over a year ago (got outbid in the last moments of the auction and hesitated to bid again and lost it - I think it was pictish that bought it if my memory is correct - it's been a while).

From what I remember it looked in really good condition from the photos for its age and had a lot of receipts for work that had been done on it by the previous owner so looked like it had been well looked after and a fair bit spent on it already.

I ended up with an RD04 that came up locally in the same week (not in such good condition cosmetically at the time but came with luggage and was a bit cheaper) which I'm really happy with, but still find myself looking longingly at the RD03s (they seem like great bikes and are the originals and a bit rarer). Looks like you've got yourself a nice bike there if it's the one I'm thinking of :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks zenarchy, thats the one, it did belong to pictish i went up to aberdeen to pick it up................ from manchester!!!!!!!!, he sounded like a nice guy always replied quickly to messages and knocked me some money off as it was out of tax, ended up paying £1350 for it.

It is good for a 20 year old bike but i'll strip it down next winter and powder coat the frame as its very rusty underneath (solid but rusty) the chain and sprockets are well fooked and the rear wheel is badly corroded around the spokes,

despite telling me it was recently serviced, the oil was overfilled by 3/4 of a litre and was black and the air filter had 1/3 of the element missing. You do expect to service it as soon as you get a second hand bike no matter what the seller tells you so this was of no surprise. I havent been out on it yet, i've ordered a pair of tkc80's as its got road tyres on at the moment and i want to check out the rear wheel to see how much corrosion is inside and whilst the rear tyre is being fitted i'll fit the new chain and sprockets.

i'll post some pics when it all back in one piece.

thanks

ian

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
It sounds like you've got it for a good price there. I can't remember exactly what it went for on ebay but I'm pretty sure it was over £1500 (I think the reserve was around £1500 so it'll have sold for at least that). I would imagine an RD03 in good original condition isn't likely to depreciate any more too (not completely sure but I'd guess they'd start going up in value as time passes due to the rarity value in the UK and people don't seem too bothered about milage like they are with other bikes due to the reputation for reliable engines).

The frame on mine (particularly the sub frame) was a rusty too and looked quite bad in places when I first got it, but it turned out to be just surface corrosion and brushed off OK. A testement to how tough they are I think because although the bike was mechanically sound and seemed looked after in that respect, it didn't look like it'd been washed much over its lifetime. I hammerited mine which has held up well to protect it, but I did it in cold weather using a brush so the finish looks bumpy. Powdercoating would have been much better (and probably wouldn't have taken much more time). If you're wanting to protect it a bit over this winter in the meantime brush on hamerite isn't a bad option as you can paint it onto rust (after brushing off any loose debris) and it'll seal it and stop it corroding further - at least if their claims are correct - though it's best to do it somewhere warm otherwise it turns to treacle). The spray on hamerite probably gives a nicer finish but I'm not sure how that holds up and if you need to treat corrosion more carefully first.

As you say, it's probably a good idea to do your own service anyway then you know it's done and what sort of oil you've put in it etc. incase it ever needs topping up. Just try not to get too carried away with it and get out and enjoy the bike while you still can before the really bad weather sets in and don't end up with it in bits strewn across the house for months while you obsess about de-rusting bolt heads and dying plastic and things that you don't even see from the outside like I did :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts