Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little bit of an update for some of the regular forum members.

Some of you may remember that a short time ago, I was guilty of contributing in part to mini-revolution that saw a few AT owners shift their alliagances to the ORANGE side, when I revealed that on a complete whim I had snapped up a 1999 KTM 640R Adventure.

Well, the latest news is, that I haven't completely gelled with the bike, and am now fairly convinced that "The future WILL NOT be ORANGE"!!!!

The 640 will not be replacing my trusty old RD04, and in fact may well be up for sale in a few weeks. Not a horror story, more of a shame really, but I've had a few "singles" in the past, and hat I should have realised is, I must have sold them all for a reason!

So there, I'll be around for a bit longer! :lol:

Bob

·
Now down under
147 Posts
Hey good to hear you'll be around here longer!
All my old singles went west also, liked most of them but...
Never ridden a KTM, but look a good option, what did you think of the power and top speed of the 640 Bob? Anything in particular that put you off it, and are you sure you wont go for an orange twin?

Still, the RD04 is addictive to ride, as all @'s are I guess, just wondered about the orange a few times, the positives and negatives, their fabled poor reliability.

Cheers Bob

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
A little bit of an update for some of the regular forum members.

Some of you may remember that a short time ago, I was guilty of contributing in part to mini-revolution that saw a few AT owners shift their alliagances to the ORANGE side, when I revealed that on a complete whim I had snapped up a 1999 KTM 640R Adventure.

Well, the latest news is, that I haven't completely gelled with the bike, and am now fairly convinced that "The future WILL NOT be ORANGE"!!!!

The 640 will not be replacing my trusty old RD04, and in fact may well be up for sale in a few weeks. Not a horror story, more of a shame really, but I've had a few "singles" in the past, and hat I should have realised is, I must have sold them all for a reason!

So there, I'll be around for a bit longer! :lol:

Bob
thats a shame bob but singles are a bit of an aquired taste and im betting after riding the 640 the RD04 seems very smooth if a little heavy....

ive got to say that if you stayed with a Vtwin and went to the 990 it would be a different story:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm still unsure, but as it was a bike I'd lusted after for such a long time, I'm not sure why it hasn't gripped me.

I think a lot of it has been down to HOW I use the bike day-to-day. The 640 has been taking on what the RD04 copes admirably with, which is the odd country lane, a blast round the M25, then trudging through town with my fat a$$ and a ton of tools and test equipment.

The KTM has coped without fault, and I know London is not it's real manor, and although it can slip through gaps where I'd close my eyes on the RD04, that big single pot is a bit tiring when you're in sub 30mph zones, and sitting at lights etc. Don't get me wrong, it has never missed a beat, but it just seems MORE involved riding it, which means it would be ace tearing across Morocco or up green lanes, but too much to keep thinking about when all you want to do is bimble home through the traffic, switched to auto-pilot, looking at the girls!

I'm still not decided on what to do with the 640, although I have definitely now made my mind up that the RD04 IS NOT being sold.

So, the jury is out. I may keep it, although at the moment it's not looking like I will. A shame really, because it really is an awesome bike, that's been REALLY well looked after and had money spent on it, with my only complaint being the engine. If I could bolt a huge counterbalance on tonight, I don't think I'd be typing this.

After a very quick blat on my mates 990s Adventure, I think I would like one of them, but to be honest, the AT thing is really under my skin, and I just couldn't warrant adding a 990 to my current stable, and certainly not as a replacement for my AT.

It also didn't help that my rather dog eared, vintage 1990 RD04 clocked up a genuine 20,000 miles this week...Aahhhhhhhhh!!!! She deserves to be kept!

Watch this space!

Bob :toothy4:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
BobA, sorry to hear that "KTM zone" was not quite to your liking, I was very interested in your reasoning though.
As mentioned on the "other trailies" section, I too am being tempted by the orange, blue(actually) side, but like with everything else in life, I tend to hedge my bets. IF(?) I do like the 2004 950 Adventure being offered, I will definitely keep the @, just in case! ;)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
The prodigal son returns.:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts