Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this on Therevounter forum - Transport Research Laboratory: High Conspicuity* Garments for Road Workers, Final Report.

I refer the reader to Figure 10 on Page 37.

And the powers that be are still trying to force "Highly Conspicuous" Hi-Viz Jackets on users motorcyclists in the totally misguided belief that we will be seen by all other road users. Looked, but didn't see.

* I know it's not a word, but that's what the report is titled.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
fancy him reversing over that car like that :)
Yea. Bloody Farmers.

First they moan about the price of milk and now it seems they hate cars.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I was discussing conspicity with researchers at the TRL some while ago. It was the time when police cars were dressed up with battenberg style blocks. They were asked why people seemed not to notice them so well.
They pointed out how the the Navy camoflaged there ships in the war in a similar blocky pattern!

Are police cars still decorated like battenburgs? I cant recall seeing one recently but may just not noticed them!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
That farm vehicle should have been painted in DayGlo Yellow. Obvious when you think about it. :rolleyes:

·
The psych with the bike
225 Posts
yep Battenburg is still around. Our Local plod have just started changing from the Met style Jam sandwich to battenburg. So damn difficult to tell them apart from a paramedic in the mirrors now!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
At work I have to wear a high viz , most time I would be the only person on site wearing a high viz and feel very conspicuous, most drivers see me & react accordingly. The last few weeks I have been involved with some major refurb projects along with numerous other contractors, as everyone on site wears a high viz I feel less conspcuous and feel they become less efective the more you see.
I also feel high viz jackets in daylight are of dubious effectiveness at night the reflective strips real work well. I recently saw something which really stood out 3 guys standing together, all wearing high viz, one wearing red, one wearing standard yellow and one wearing orange.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
On the Hi Vis subject France we where told you have to wear the reflective strips, so like compliant Brits we did. And we must have been the only ones. I did not see any other biker wearing the jackets, does any one know why its not being inforced.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
All i can say from experience is when i take the bike to work which is only a short distance i wear an old cheap buffalo jacket which is HI-Viz and ride with lights on and i still don't get seem. Hi-viz has very little effect on where people are looking

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Hi-viz has very little effect on where people are looking
+1
...and that's the real problem. You can dress up like an effin christmas tree but it has little effect if someone's face is pointed entirely the wrong way or if they are too busy texting.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I've always been hi-viz. But I have come to th conclusion it makes little difference to your safety. It makes it easier for people who are looking - a small group - to see you earlier or more clearly. Bu I think they probably would have seen you anyway.

The number of time I have slowed, swerved, or stopped to avoid a car in which the driver had either no knowledge of me or couldn't give a four X, has led me to believe hi viz makes no difference.

My main reason for wearing it now is to help my relatives get some compensation for my death after some ****wit has SMIDSY's me. I don't want to give them any excuse.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Good point and also why i like to wear it, then when some fekwit says he didn't see me i can say you weren't looking that's why, then when they say they were i can point to the hi-viz and lights blaring and say well why didn't you see me then if you WERE looking with all that on? That is of course, presuming i'm still alive!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
In any case, wearing hi-viz would NEVER pass Mr Beeza's style test, so this thread is obviously an irrelevance! :D:D:D

Reactions: Sharribee

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
In any case, wearing hi-viz would NEVER pass Mr Beeza's style test, so this thread is obviously an irrelevance! :D:D:D
Oh, that thread is about style is it? I assumed it was about looking right (as in the direction).. I thought "I always look right and left" so thought it was irrelevant.;)

Reactions: Lulu

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
According to Motorcycle Action Group (MAG):

We've just heard that the French interior Minister Emmanuel Valls has decided to withdraw the 150 square centimetre hi-viz rule.

Apparently he has acknowledged the protests from riders and that there really isn't any basis for the move.

MAG highlighted a few months ago, that apart from setting a dangerous precedent and creating the possibility that blame for accidents could be automatically shifted toward those riders not wearing the hi-viz as required, the French Government had also found itself in possible breach of an EU Directive which stipulated minimum quantities of hi-viz if hi-viz was being prescribed.

<snip>

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Where i work, eveyone had to wear Hi Viz at one time. The site is 600+ acres (an old Airfield) and 5,000 people work there - and we have two sites, the other about 400 acres.

Because everyone is wearing it you become "Blind" to it. They actually had a consultation and decided to scrap wearing Hi Viz due to this fact. Now when you see Hi Viz you actually pay attention as the person is wearing it for a reason and not just because they have been told to.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Because everyone is wearing [hi-viz] you become "Blind" to it. They actually had a consultation and decided to scrap wearing Hi Viz due to this fact. Now when you see Hi Viz you actually pay attention as the person is wearing it for a reason and not just because they have been told to.
Good god. Common sense. Someone call the HSE, this can't be tolerated...

Seriously, that report cited at the start of this thread had a remark on page 37 that "prevalence [of hi-viz] has ensured that it has become a part of the driver's expectations." It also says that drivers are especially prone to failing to see anything they don't expect.

In other words, by training drivers to expect hi-viz it makes anyone not wearing it less visible than they would otherwise have been. Just what Loggy and his colleagues discovered by practical example...

I suspsect the same is true of road signs that don't have a huge flouro yellow border around them, speed limits that don't have III-II-I count downs on approach, etc.?

So what do ordinary punters like us do? It looks like if you just want to "stand still" in terms of safety, you'll have to adopt more and more extreme conspicuity measures :rolleyes:

I recommend a f***ing loud pipe. (I let someone persuade me to take the baffles out of my Guzzi pipes, and in traffic it was like the parting of the Red Sea :D Or maybe they recognized the sound of a big Italian V twin and wanted to stay out the way of the shrapnel...) Better deaf than dead!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Because everyone is wearing it you become "Blind" to it. They actually had a consultation and decided to scrap wearing Hi Viz due to this fact. Now when you see Hi Viz you actually pay attention as the person is wearing it for a reason and not just because they have been told to.
we've had th esame problems in the past and they are now realising when they jumped on the band wagon they went too far with it

·
Registered
160 Posts
In some respects I don't care if you are more visible. ‘They’ will keep pushing until it is thrust upon us. If you employ people to sit around making up new rules all day, that's what they will do irrespective of common sense. I think as a nation we may be starting to realise that. I know that I reached the 'fed up with new rules' point a long time ago.
I consider biking to be the bit of the rebel in people and therefore now our duty to object to anything that erodes freedom and introduces the view it is our own fault.
And, once insurance companies get involved we will be riding with hi-viz, blow up collars, specific protective gear, not ride in groups etc etc. or no cover.
Motorcycling is ‘not’ an art form and has never been an exercise in safety.
Why don’t ‘They’ just sod off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts