Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... result in TA & rider gracefully sliding down the road on their side!:sign6:

at least I was more graceful than Tucker in Dancing on Ice...:D

sheet ice a few inches think across the whole road and nowhere to go...

thankfully only going at walking pace leaving the village this morning...
so - except for ego - bike, kit, and rider undamaged :thumbright:

I'm glad I stopped to let the volvo XC90 4X4 who'd been tailgating me
(because I was going so slowly) go past, as if he'd still been behind me when I went down there's no way he'd have stopped in time.

Because the road was so slippy I couldn't pick the bike up as my feet just slid from under me when I tried to lift the bike. Had to wait for a neighbour in his defender to come past to help me pick it up!

It's 24 years since I last dropped a bike. :eek: (Aged 16 - a 10 mile an hour bend at 35 (flat out!!))

ho hum, still, glad it was so minor.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Been there nick, never come off except off-roading (where I more than make up for it) until a puncture last year and then ice this year.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I had that problem of trying to pick up a bike in the snow. I just could not get my feet to stop sliding.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Yep,been there done that,did not like it:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Glad you and the bike are ok:thumbup:

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Hope you are OK Nick and not too bruised in the morning :(.
We have been having more snow here again - seems like spring is still some way off. :(:(:(

·
Older - maybe not wiser!
131 Posts
Glad you're OK.

I've done it, too (more than once) on ice - fortunately slowly.

Must admit, though, my Alp is tucked up in the garage - and we haven't any snow!

Cheers,

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Nick:(

At least your OK

That was pretty cold round this way last night. Tescos' car park in Abingdon flooded yesterday when the River Ock burst it's banks then froze overnight.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Because the road was so slippy I couldn't pick the bike up as my feet just slid from under me when I tried to lift the bike. Had to wait for a neighbour in his defender to come past to help me pick it up!
Been there done that, had to get on my knees and push the bike across the intersection on its side, until I could prop it up against the curb.

(Only to be greeted by a nutter in a 3-series doing pirouettes and slamming into said curb 10ft away from me. Hiya mate, glad you didn't get here a minute earlier. :shock: )

Glad you're okay.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Glad alls well..
jup done that too ( 30+ years ago.. GT350 suzuki both feet down just sliding away on black ice, nothing I could do.. almost walking pace.. had to lever the wheels against the curb to get it upright.. then stood there and thought now what.. :D )

daftest one was on my first bike, a 250 BSA starfire, pulled into the alley way at the girlfriends after riding for about 20 mins with 2 inches on ice in my knees ( only a leather jacket and a pair of levis ) knees frozen so much I could not straighten my legs, so just leaned against the wal and waited.., good job the wall was there!!!
she came out after about five mins as she had heard the bike pull in ( you could hear it for miles :) ).. no worries got warmed up nicely :hitler:..
took the short route home with two pastic bags over my knees....

"you try to tell the young folk today and they just dont belive ya "

1 - 10 of 10 Posts