Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Dear XRV TLD Riders

We need to start putting a ride together soon as we already have about 20 riders who have registered an interest whatever it is, and as this is Ride 5, want it to be the best yet. After a weekend of discussions in the TLD Board Room, this what we are proposing. We hope you like it.

The Date

Saturday June 23rd 2012 - this avoids Fathers Day as that is the previous Sunday.

The Charity

Some of you will have heard of Whiteknights or SERV or Freewheelers. They and others are part of the Nationwide Association of Blood Bikes, a charity relying principally on motorcyclists to get blood, tissue samples, X-rays, notes and other emergency deliveries between hospitals in a hurry. This is an out of hours service so whenever a bike is called out there is usually a life at stake.

It's a charity all about the good biking can do. And it is invaluable.

The problem is, the Nationwide Association is not nationwide: there's no service in Northern Ireland, nor in Wales, nor in Scotland. There are plans to expand, but there is no government money so it is up to the public to make it happen.

That's why the three organisers are suggesting NABB as the charity for The Longest Day Ride in association with XRV, 2012. It needs money: we can raise it. We are also hoping that the event will attract riders from NABB adding to the numbers taking part that in turn will hopefully raise more money for the charity. It is NABB's plans to further extend its coverage into Scotland, so we would be falling in line with their expansion plans, that in turn, will hopefully result in expediating their plans to extend into Wales and Northern Ireland.

What the ride needs

We want a ride that's a challenge and if possible avoids motorways. We want it to be imaginative so that people will notice it. We want to be able to get press interest if possible, and we want to make as much of the start and finish as we can. And we want to raise a load of money for Bloodbikes. We would rather not do JOGLE or LEJOG a) because if has been done before and we are trying to create a new event each year and b) the distance may put some riders off, we want to attract as many riders as possible in order to increase to opportunity to raise as much money as we can.

The concept

The organisers propose we paint the saltire onto Scotland. Starting at Stirling we go to two corners, back to Stirling, to the other two corners, then finish in Stirling.

It can be mapped to give anything between about 650 and 1,000 miles, not one of them on a motorway.

It's visually striking

We could have riders leaving and returning in four different directions and passing each other on the way round: as the start, middle and end are all in the same place we'll meet and supporters would have a good place to wait too.

Accommodation

Iis not in short supply. We can have a good get-together at the beginning and end, not least because so many XRVers live within 50 miles of Stirling so can help with organising.

The Route

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Cowane+St/B8052&daddr=A82+to:A944+to:Drip+Rd/A84+to:Unknown+road+to:55.33194,-3.8375+to:55.32984,-3.4451+to:55.4426,-2.7751+to:A68+to:Drip+Rd/A84&hl=en&ll=56.249454,-2.867432&spn=2.4569,8.453979&sll=55.40407,-2.444458&sspn=2.510867,8.453979&geocode=FXhjWAMdsOHD_w;FQoMZAMd_qy0_w;FWx3aQMd4F3W_w;FeBzWAMdtN3D_w;FQA2TgMd6mu5_w;FWRMTAMdxHHF_ylzz_UJ1KViSDEO4O_XcYQnLw;FTBETAMdlG7L_ykTLvzaYVF9SDHbgWFkX3HJ1g;Faj8TQMdxKfV_ylrVyh44n19SDFQ5EThGWgMEw;Fbj_TgMdMrTY_w;Fbp2WAMd4M_D_w&mra=dpe&mrsp=7&sz=8&via=5,6,7&z=8

We are hoping to get the Scottish Health Minister and Deputy First Minister involved.

The only thing we recognise will be a bit tricky is persuading people that a run entirely in Scotland is genuinely national, but it is. The point is that by riding Scotland we are making it possible for Bloodbikes to have greater coverage and increase their chances of having coverage in Wales and Northern Ireland earlier than their target dates.

(Incidentally, if there's any doubt about the association between TLD and XRV we are getting a quote for making up some metal number-plate surrounds with both names on them. The minimum order runs to several hundred so TLD and XRV are stuck with each other for several years at least). :thumbup:

Please discuss ?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
ok +1 but can we import some mad continental drivers to give it added colour.... :king:

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
ok +1 but can we import some mad continental drivers to give it added colour.... :king:
Damn good idea Ray. Will a couple of riders from Oz and a sprinkling from France and Germany do? I hear the principal danger on the remote Northern Scottish roads is buggers in electric cars sneaking up on you...

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Plus one more here - not soley as it's local to me and thus saves me doing 600 pus miles just to get home at the end, but because of the charity involved and the fact that I know first hand just how stunning this ride can be - even in the dark! Also the same start/finish point brings back the social aspect which was sadly lacking from the T 2 T this year and its a different ride with no ferries/tunnels/foreign johnnies trying to kill me (well there will be but its on my terms this time johnnie and on the 'right' side of the road!). Then the fact that it can be done in a number of different ways makes it even more interesting for me.

So, yeah I'd be well up for it...........:thumbleft:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Damn good idea Ray. Will a couple of riders from Oz and a sprinkling from France and Germany do? I hear the principal danger on the remote Northern Scottish roads is buggers in electric cars sneaking up on you...
if I am on the run, the Prius ... the scourge of the lone cyclist will be safe in its lair :)

·
The psych with the bike
225 Posts
Sounds "Stoatin!" :thumbup:. If the backs sorted, count me in.

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts
Here is my tanners worth, only 400 and something miles to get there, oh well have to make it a longer trip than this year :p.

I will offer to sacrifice myself and sit in/outside/near a bar in Stirling to check riders in and out. Maybe I could organise my sponsorship with how many pints I can get down my neck in 24 hours :D Would that work ?

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Here is my tanners worth, only 400 and something miles to get there, oh well have to make it a longer trip than this year :p.

I will offer to sacrifice myself and sit in/outside/near a bar in Stirling to check riders in and out. Maybe I could organise my sponsorship with how many pints I can get down my neck in 24 hours :D Would that work ?
I would normally do at least 1600Miles door to door, so a wee extra cant hurt :thumbup::thumbright:

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
We would rather not do JOGLE or LEJOG
It seems at least 10 people from here rather would?

Starting at Stirling we go to two corners, back to Stirling, to the other two corners, then finish in Stirling.
Sounds like a jolly out on the nice roads of Scotland, sponsors will be hard to come by. I hadn't a clue what that was and had to check the map and even then it looked dubious at best. If you have to explain where it is you are going to people then it's on a loser from the off.

To be honest, i think we have all but run out of ideas, where else is there left to go? Relays and going from point A to point B then to checkpoint whatever just sounds crap, to me anyway. You just can't beat the wow factor when you tell someone it's from `x` to `x` in under 24 hours and it's `y ammount of miles` x being a very memorable location and z a shed load of miles to cover.

It's ok saying you don't want it to be to far a distance as not to put people off but it's an endurance event to raise money, it's got to be sponsor worthy. That means it has to meet certain criteria, it has to be instantly recognisable as being a long distance the moment you tell someone, it then has to be confirmed when you actually tell them the miles you have to cover and it helps if it's such a distance that they think `can he do it?` so they put hand in pocket and sponsor you a few quid to see if you can.

We have plenty of time to come to a decision so lets get it thrashed out and see what folk would rather do, we've only just finished the last one after all.

So, thoughts people?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I dont raise as much sponsorship as other people but i do have a hardcore of people who sponsor me every year and so far i've been lucky because the challenges have progressed to some degree the latest one ventured into europe so to maintain the impetus i'd need to venture further into europe and it's becoming a costly business..... to keep people interested sponsorwise

this stirling trip sounds great fun and i'd love to run round what i think are the most stunning roads we've got but.... it is a step backwards.

and i did the jog/le first of all so it will start to bore my regular backers even though i found that one to be the best and most challenging but that could have been down to the bad conditions that day.... but people still raise an eyebrow when i brag about it.

it seems the british isles is a small place now and i think it will take some radical thinking to inject freshness back into things...

every year i think it's going to be my last then you lot surprise me so i'm hoping someone comes up with something again and i'll probably be in there again..

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
This sounds like its aimed at raising money, focused on the charities activities, involved with bikes, in an accessible area to all, mileage to suit all, roads/area of interest, no ferries, long enough to be a challenge whilst short enough to open to all, includes a social side to it and all in all marketed with a reason.

Sound!

I like the decisive nature of this......if I wanted you to plan my annual holidays Idve asked but hey, youve done it already!

As far as people recognising the ride as a challenge....its your passion that sells that when asking for money not JUST the route. Granted its not one ive heard of but when linked to the charity, the marketing and the mileage it can make sense....but does need explained.
I reckon we'd be hard pushed to find something as unique, marketible and linked with a charities needs and activities, that would be self explanitary in its title.

Rather than the 'ideal' it sounds like the most ideal for what we want to achieve.

Im in - and im not one for riding 30 miles there AND back as it limits me financially.

Oh - and if im allowed to vote based on only attending one TLD and possibly not being able to guarantee the next one due to finances....then I reckon this could get my vote.

Im pushed to suggest anything else but looking at the charity we aim to assist and the priority being raising cash for them...does help.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Oh - and call me stupid...stupid...but I didnt know what a Saltire was!

St Andrews Cross meant more though!

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Oh - and call me stupid...stupid...but I didnt know what a Saltire was!

St Andrews Cross meant more though!
I could say somethings,but i wont :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I could say somethings,but i wont :D:D:D:D
Wattt! I thought it was salty humour! Plenty of that here.

A spades a spade, a spuds a spud and a turnip, well..... where I come from and a cross is cross no matter how it sits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am sorry guys thisnis not one for me. I have really had a good time on the last 2 trips but this one I am going to pass on. I am not sure that I could get the corporate sponsors that I have got in the past. I wish you all the best and have a good safe ride.Maybe join you in 2013David

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi guys not posted for ages ! But going to contradict my last post I am up for it and have registered. Not sure how much corporate money I can get this year, but had a good time on the last 2 rides so going for it again. Think I will do LEJOG. Following the guy on the bantam !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts