Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peeps, less than seven weeks away TLD 2011 Tower to Tower will be done, hopefully riders all home safe and sound and many £'s raised for Make a Wish Foundation, (donations/collections finish September 1st). The end of one charity ride, commences planning for the next, so with this in mind can we get your suggestions for next years route. Whilst I may not be part of the organising committee for next years ride, it would be good to get an idea of what folks would like to do. So post up your suggestions, as always it will go to a poll, and being a democracy that XRV is, the route with the most votes will win. Cheers GOG.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Not overly fussed

just know I'll have holidays sorted to cover the weekend, I'm upset that I cant make the Towers run and more than determined to enjoy the next one.

I meself would really like to do John O Groates to Lands End, the JoGLE, or something with two point reference and a good long challenging ride

·
Registered
379 Posts
I vote for JoGLE again.

I know over the last 3 years (including this year) each ride has got shorter as the majority seem to prefer this, but I feel that this year has gone a bit to far (short) I'm struggling to get sponsorship as when you explain the route to people it just doens't seem like a challenge (You can go from Blackpool to Eurodisney on a coach in less than a day, so people are questioning the challenge. Or perhaps it's the economic climate but either way sponcers are much harder to find this year)

JoGLE is something which always captures the publics imagination as a hard thing to do (in a week nevermind a day!)
So for me this is the ultimate (UK) Challenge. If you want to go outside the UK I would do the length of Italy in 24hrs (It's pretty much the same distance as JoGLE but you have to get to the start and home from the finish as well, But most people would never believe you could travel the length of Italy in a day!)

Perhaps there could be a call for repeating the events like repeating the charities? next year JoGLE then 5 capitals then chase the sun then 2 towers? would take a lot of discussion/planning/organisation out of the event (but also possibly the fun/interest out of it as well?)

Anyway.

JoGLE +1

·
Registered
67 Posts
i like the idea of the 5 capitals, not in too much of a hurry for the jogle though, went last year really enjoyed it, but its one of those things been there and all that..:)

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
I think i would go with 5 Captials starting in London and Finishing Edinburgh.......

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
I think i would go with 5 Captials starting in London and Finishing Edinburgh.......
That was the original route but the ferry from NornIron to Scotland sold out by December then there was a mad panic to replan everything.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Must say I did enjoy the JogLe run and would try to do it again
But

having noticed that the fund raising seems.to be a bit slower then before maybe we should do the Tld every second year. Going back to the same company's every year asking for donations they seem to get a bit tired of things . Plus due to the current financial climate it would give people more time to save up. It might be ok for people which are using it as their only trip in the year but I know of quiet a few people which do a lot of other events too.

Just a thought :grin:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
What about round the coast John O Groats to John O Groats, or Lands End to Lands End??
Have you thought that through yet? do you know how many thousand of miles that would be ?

It would take a week hugging the coast at the very least,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but sounds like a nice week of riding:cool:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
But

having noticed that the fund raising seems.to be a bit slower then before maybe we should do the Tld every second year. Going back to the same company's every year asking for donations they seem to get a bit tired of things . Plus due to the current financial climate it would give people more time to save up. It might be ok for people which are using it as their only trip in the year but I know of quiet a few people which do a lot of other events too.

Now that's a good idea!

Make something more special of it rather than running out of ideas annually.

In-between we could do a non charitable ride to somewhere for a night like a National but with the idea of it being just for a night and maybe not on the mainland UK which would be the key point. The interim get out of blighty run!

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
I also also part of the RBLS Riders Branch, We are looking at a chairty event next year "Saltire Challenage", its only the thoughts and idea stage at the monent, but the total distance looks to be about 1000miles in 24hrs. This is the basic idea

Stirling (Wallace Monument) - Fort William - Inverness (162 miles)

Inverness - Cape Wrath - John O Groats - Stirling (468 miles)

Stirling - Dumfries - Berwick - Edinburgh Castle (283 miles)

I will post up for info when i have it

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am not in Scotland but my company has an office in Edinburgh, this would be great reason to come up. I am ex RN so like to support events like this , but I do ride a Harley hope that is ok !!!!!!

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
but I do ride a Harley hope that is ok !!!!!!
RBLS Riders have a mix of bike from wings to Harleys to CBR600s to a Varadero, so i cant see a problem

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Have you thought that through yet? do you know how many thousand of miles that would be ?

It would take a week hugging the coast at the very least,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but sounds like a nice week of riding:cool:
It's about 3,500 miles and is absolutely doable in 7 days.

I know because I did it quite a years ago for Breast Cancer Care with a few other ladies

and Yes, it's one hell of a ride

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
From the non-XRV's i spock to the 5 Captals might the one to go for London to Edinburgh

I am sure Stella line will do there best to help!!!

I really enjoyed that one, and as the number of non-XRV's is about 4-1 then it might wore thinking about

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
But

See he can talk sense :D:D

Have to say I agree, every two years seems sensible in the current economic climate.

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts

Have to say I agree, every two years seems sensible in the current economic climate.
from the riders that took part this year I dis-agree, a lot of the Non-XRV's are lookin forward to see what we come up for next year.

The problem with the End-to-End route, it mainly motorways, very boring, the only good bit are at the start and end, you are on motorways between Glasgow to Bristol.

where the 5 Captials has a mix all of road across the whole ride.

I also have a route (ride) in mind which i working on, but is all in scotland, using the good roads!! i know this might be an issue from peeps further away for scotland.

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

From what I have heard from the non- XRV riders, we may be pleasantly surprised by the funds raised for MAWF this year, that is bearing in mind that 80% of the riders were not XRV forum members.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts