Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s a new book that’ll be of interest to anyone heading north of the border. It does seem to be very comprehensive, well written and informative. There’s loads of background information, not just route directions. JG even suggests appropriate reading material and soundtracks to accompany each ride.

JG contacted me through the ADVrider forum asking to use some of my photos which is how I come to have one of the first copies, but it’s now available direct from www.tarmap.co.uk or eBay and will soon be on Amazon too.
I’ve been biking in Scotland for nearly 35 years
, not constantly of course!, but there still are lots of routes in the book that I haven’t ridden and lots of new information about routes I’m very familiar with.

Highly recommended

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having recently received a copy, I can thoroughly recommend it. Unlike many similar books, it provides many detailed route maps with all-important accompanying detail covering important details beyond what to see - petrol stations, pubs, cafes, hotels, camp sites. Clearly a great deal of thought has gone into it (its even ring bound so you can open it to the right page and stick it in your tank bag if you haven't forked out for an expensive sat nav) Having lived in Scotland for many years, I am familiar with a lot (but by no means all) of the roads and routes and the author has done a superb job of exploring interesting roads and routes beyond the NC500.

As the author has personally ridden the routes, he provides his own opinion of each route which makes a refreshing change from too many books of this type which read as if someone's pulled out a map and thought that wriggly road looks interesting with no thought about traffic, speed cameras etc

Two further points of interest - You can save a few quid (£2.80) by buying direct from Tarmap Press rather than through Amazon, and it was updated for 2020.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts