Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, another mpg thread ;) I am heading back from Spain to England tomorrow and once I get north of the pyrenees (I take the E9 just east of Andorra) I have 400 km of motorway to get me to my campsite just south of Niort. I have all day to get there so thought it would be ideal for a quick mpg trial. I have 2 options, I could either do 100 km at different speeds, say 55, 60, 65, 70 mph, or I might just sit at 60 (which I hope will return about 65 mpg) and see if I can do the 400 km on a single tank!

Before I set off on this mighty quest, any top tips, ideas, experience or vaguely amusing comments?

(For the pedants amongst you I have measured the speedometer to be 4% high on my odometer and the odometer is correct to my GPS and confirmed by routes on GoogleMaps. I will ride at corrected/true speeds)

I'll update you all tomorrow night, the campsite apparently has WiFi...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Best of luck ! Sitting at 60mph would be an interesting experiment, but would you seriously be able to do that on a motorway for that distance :eek:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My god man, you seriously need some good music for that task......and luck to find service stations at 100km as required!

Actually, it's not that bad at slow speeds, you get a lot more relaxed, less stiff and cramped, take in more scenery and the only negative is a sore backside due to time rather than speed. You've done the stopping lots but short thing before, it makes time fly when you need it to, a reward type thing for sitting at 60. Need to find a way of mounting a spare jerry can on there somewhere too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think you would be pushing it to get 400k's out of a tank. I recently did a 600k trip coming back from a rally here is Aus. I worked out I got 370k's to the tank, though I was fully loaded and sat on 110kph (sometimes 120) all the way.

I thought that was pretty good. If you pack light and only do 60mph you might just do it, but I would take a jerrycan!

Wigster

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
The only thing that could scupper your plans is fuel quality.
I normally ride the same style every time. I also set my trip so I know roughly when to fill up and that is around the 350km mark (Vara SD2). Just before winter that dropped and I was only getting 300km from a tank full. Just recently in the UK the tank range went up to 350 now back in Germany back to 300. Now I have no way of proving it as 95 octane must be 95 octane but I'm sure there is a higher amount of bio fuel mixed into the petroleum fuel that does not burn as good as it should.

In Norway at those speeds I was getting 400km from 20lts so your alp should manage, I was fully bombed up with luggage

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be carrying side panniers (OEM) and 2 roll bags on the rear seat, but at lower speeds the wind resistance should be much less so hopefully they won't have too much of an effect. I'll use 97 RON fuel (might then try 95 tomorrow when I continue on to Cherbourg). Ref jerry can, thankfully in France they tell you the distance to the next 2 or 3 services on the motorway so I can do some quick maths and see if I can make it!

Interestingly having my coffee this morning watching the Spanish news, everyone is hitting the road for the Easter holidays and the traffic department here is very keen for everyone to be more economic (they recently lowered the speed limit in Spain to 110 km/h on all motorways to save fuel - in the hope people spend the money saved in the shops), and they actually broadcast an article on when you should change gear (3rd at 30 km/h, 4th at 40 km/h, 5th at 50 km/h) complete with computer simulation and on the scene reporter (in a car with some Spanish girl)! I thought only the British media treated us all like idiots, but it must be a Europe thing!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I'll be carrying side panniers (OEM) and 2 roll bags on the rear seat, but at lower speeds the wind resistance should be much less so hopefully they won't have too much of an effect. I'll use 97 RON fuel (might then try 95 tomorrow when I continue on to Cherbourg). Ref jerry can, thankfully in France they tell you the distance to the next 2 or 3 services on the motorway so I can do some quick maths and see if I can make it!

Interestingly having my coffee this morning watching the Spanish news, everyone is hitting the road for the Easter holidays and the traffic department here is very keen for everyone to be more economic (they recently lowered the speed limit in Spain to 110 km/h on all motorways to save fuel - in the hope people spend the money saved in the shops), and they actually broadcast an article on when you should change gear (3rd at 30 km/h, 4th at 40 km/h, 5th at 50 km/h) complete with computer simulation and on the scene reporter (in a car with some Spanish girl)! I thought only the British media treated us all like idiots, but it must be a Europe thing!
It is the idiots they have to employ because they cannot do a proper job.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It is the idiots they have to employ because they cannot do a proper job.
I'm a Brit living in Aus for the last 3 years, the media here treats the population far worse than that in the UK.

Love the BBC and channel 4, you really miss them when you dont have them.

Back to topic, I'm interested to hear your mileage. As you're in Spain and distances are in kms and petrol in litres it'll be interesting to compare kms per litre figures. Is yours a 700 TA?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Tuck in behind a truck. I did that chugging back from Cornwall and the re-fill afterwards was a lot less than a normal 200 miles fiill-up!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've done 400km with my 700 (on the clocks) at least twice. But mixed riding ,meaning 80% normal roads doing 50 kmph to 90kmph and short bits highway at 120kmph.
I doubt if its possible doing only highway ,unless mayby at 90kmpu the whole time?.

Do take some extra fuel as backup and when refueling take your time. There goes more in than you think ,sometimes an extra liter.

Enjoy

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a Brit living in Aus for the last 3 years, the media here treats the population far worse than that in the UK.

Love the BBC and channel 4, you really miss them when you dont have them.

Back to topic, I'm interested to hear your mileage. As you're in Spain and distances are in kms and petrol in litres it'll be interesting to compare kms per litre figures. Is yours a 700 TA?

I should have said in my earlier post mine is a 650. Doesn't the 700 have a slightly smaller tank?

Chris in Oz, I sometimes see a 700 Transalp near my office going up Old south Head Rd in Rose Bay. Is that you? I too am a pom in Aus, though I miss Marstons Pedigree or a pint of rough cider from the Coronation Tap in Bristol more than the BBC.

Wigster

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
Tuck in behind a truck. I did that chugging back from Cornwall and the re-fill afterwards was a lot less than a normal 200 miles fiill-up!
just do not get too close!!! we have all seen the pictures of the biker with his head stuck in the back of a truck
Merv

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, it is done! Was running a little late yesterday, mainly due to taking a wrong turn in the Pyrenees and mistakenly going through Andorra. The road was lovely and enjoyed the view but on leaving the border patrol decided to search all my bags for perfume! Lost a couple of hours in total so unfortunately have to report my first mpg trial was at *** km/h which returned 37 mpg...

But, today I set off early from my campsite and did 122.4 km at 100 km/h indicated (60 mph true speed, speedo is 4% high on odometer) and returned exactly 65 mpg. I don't recommend this speed on the paege however, I was constantly being overtaken.

My 2nd trial was 234.3 km at 117 km/h (70 mph true) and I got a reasonable 57 mpg. This was maintainable on the motorway (except a bit dodgy through the 90 limit around Nantes...) and I was happy at that speed for 2 hours.

Made it to Cherbourg after 900 miles in 2 days. Bike is lovely for it, only modification (other than my Puig screen) was a thermarest seat pad, pretty good but could be better, need to invest in a sheepskin :)

My sums for you all to check:
122.4 km 5.36 l (98 RON) = 65.0 mpg @ 100 km/h (60 mph 4%)

234.3 km 11.6 l (98 RON) = 57.0 mpg @ 117 km/h (70 mph 4%)

700 TA with Givi bars, OEM panniers, roll bag and Puig screen.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Why did use 98 RON surely 95 is the right juice for your bike.

Ref sheepskins try these, unless you know a farmer that can get you a fleece that has not been stripped of its natural lanolin.

Get a sheepskin that has seen at least one winter, if you need any help with the lingo just shout, notice they have a great looking clipped grey fleece on offer
xp-90110-d-g-breite-60-cm-2.jpg pic linked to site

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Because the first thing to become uncomfortable on a long ride is the seat (we're talking rides measured in hours here) and a sheepskin is apparently the best solution.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ah, that makes sense now.
I'll have to bear that in mind when I plan a long trip, but I have no idea where I could get a sheepskin from around here ...... I live in Wales.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts