Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys I'm really greatful for ye letting me post this topic. I'm a huge Dakar fan and the marathon guys gave me great advice when I was rebuilding my twin . Thank's Jonny

24,25th ,26 September 2010 in the village of Doon Co Limerick.

I hope to raise money for Down Syndrome Ireland through the event and highlight the Irish Dakar Riders past and present .

The Dakar is the last rally of its kind in the world and Ireland has had 4 riders finish the Rally , its also the most dangerous with 48 deaths since its inception in 1978.

The turn out is going to be massive as Philip Noone (Dakar 2010 finisher) Andrew Reeves ,Gary Ennis Dakar 2009 and Alan Graham will be attending with Andrew Reeves riding a works BMW GS in the event and helping on the day.

If you have any questions give me a bell, no problem.
Ive organised free camping and there's a Honda 50 run later in the day , plus a weekend long vintage rally. Its a family weekend event and the first time the Paddy Dakar has been run , your welcome to come down I could do with a hand .

Course is aimed at people who ride adventure bikes and who have not been in any kind of competition. In short its going to be orienteering on motorbikes but in off road conditions on road rubber.

You can email me on [email protected]

The Paddy Dakar sign in Welcome to Facebook

Laters

Jonny Blackmore

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im up for that and thank God for KY... I never though I would need to squeeze the Honda 50 into my AT backbox :) Do I need to collect any funds for this charity?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im up for that and thank God for KY... I never though I would need to squeeze the Honda 50 into my AT backbox :) Do I need to collect any funds for this charity?
Lams said we should advise everyone that a min donation of €15 per skull , so its at your discretion for now , but any thing I get will be going to Down-syndrome Ireland .

As for the 50 sure that it'd fit in the pocket of a giant of a man like you:)

Jonny

·
Registered
293 Posts
It sure was a great gig :D

roll on 2011 :thumbup:

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Looked a fantastic event. How much did you raise?

Love to see airborne Africa twins

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looked a fantastic event. How much did you raise?

Love to see airborne Africa twins
In total it came to €1530 thats 51 bikes at €30 per bike . Because the guys were camping we dicided to organise a full breakfast out of the €30 joining fee. That came in at about €300 so what was left over went to the Doon charity and the other half went to DSI. In the start I wanted to run it for free and if the lads were happy after the Raid they could make a donation but I didnt work out that way.

The premise of the event is to get XRV'S off road and The Paddy Dakar will hopfully grow into a full tilt big bike raid .

Ive got to say that the riders did take a big gamble by attending and riding into the unknown. Also this whole gig was a huge group effort "open source" in that nearly every rider helped out in some way , like Adam Kelly (NoTc) who designed the poster , Lam who did a mountain of support work, Sean Whelan (Wheelo) gaves us a Marque and rallied the troops, The guys at XRV Ireland who let me us their forum as a information location, Draper Tools , The Done Deal, Honda Ireland , the people of Doon Co Limerick who just did what they do best , welcomed every road warrior like they were their own.

So the Paddy Dakar is about the 51 riders who took a punt , the guys who set out the route , Tossie ,Keith ,Joe when I couldn't get out . I just hope that we can put together a big bike rally raid that commands the respect of the motorcycling community as being a test of the machine and the pilot , and that every pilot can share and live in the realm of the legend at least for one weekend in the year.

While Im on this buzz , Id be nowhere with out the sound advice and support I got here from all the guys and the marathon men.

Sound men thanks

Jonny

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sure was a great gig :D

roll on 2011 :thumbup:

A public acknowledgement of a man who lives by the rule of the rider. Lam thanks for helping me keep me bike on the road and the efforts you have gone to with me and me bike thanks man.

I broke me shock on the second last safety reci for the paddy Dakar and rode it for another day in a bad state , Lam arrived down for the raid and brought one down for me with out telling me until he arrived, and not so long ago he have a half day on the road to change a A30 FUSE ILL never live it down

Thanks man.:thumbup:

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Fantastic stuff Wingnut,
Have you set the date for next year?

·
Registered
293 Posts
So the Paddy Dakar is about the 51 riders who took a punt . I just hope that we can put together a big bike rally raid that commands the respect of the motorcycling community as being a test of the machine and the pilot , and that every pilot can share and live in the realm of the legend at least for one weekend in the year.
Jonny
Jonny,true words :thumbup: as I said before in over 20 years of going to various two wheel gigs this is up there in the top five.People rowed in and helped out because of all the hard work you done lad getting it up and running ,simple as :cool:

by the way ya left out thanking Rusty he was in charge of the chicken ball & curry sauce department and done a great job :D

A public acknowledgement of a man who lives by the rule of the rider. Lam thanks for helping me keep me bike on the road and the efforts you have gone to with me and me bike thanks man.

I broke me shock on the second last safety reci for the paddy Dakar and rode it for another day in a bad state , Lam arrived down for the raid and brought one down for me with out telling me until he arrived, and not so long ago he have a half day on the road to change a A30 FUSE ILL never live it down

Thanks man.:thumbup:
:thumbup: thanks J,glad to help out ;) it's never a problem

for anybody interested here's some links to photo's and you tube clips on the Irish sites.Might see a few from here over for next year :thumbup:

The Paddy Dakar 2010 - Biker.ie : Irish Biker's Discussion Forum

XRV Ireland • View topic - pics & vids paddy dakar 2010

XRV Ireland • View topic - Paddy Dakar 2010, Photos.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
im big into my harleys and custom bikes but i have to say the paddy dakar was the best craic i ever had at a bike event lam was kind enough to loan me one of his bikes a 1990 honda dominator for the event and that was it i was hooked and recently i bought myself a 1993 YAMAHA XTZ 750 SUPER TENERE and love the bloody thing

we hope to win again this year (we hope):D lookin forward to it big time and if any of the xrv uk members could make it that would be great
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Bus Driver
245 Posts
wow, just found this thread by accident, sounds like great craic,
don't think the CBR600 would be up to the job tho...:happy6:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts