Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something for later in the year, perhaps July or August and early days in the planning, but as it all seems quiet on here recently I thought I would post up an idea and see if its worth taking further.

So.... taking in the absolutely best roads, scenery and locations in Northern England and the tiniest bit of Scotland, let's do the Pennine Way by motorbike. OK, so we cant do it all by bike but we can join up some brilliant roads and where possible pick up some trails that broadly follows the Pennine Way and make it into a 320ish mile 2 day trip from Derbyshire to the Scottish borders.

I have plotted a road route starting at Edale and finishing in Kirk Yetholm that broadly follows the Pennine Way route. It will be a brilliant run doing that alone, however to add a bit of spice there's a few sections of the PW that appear to be byeways and several other byeways not too far off the route - all optional for those that like that sort of thing.

I know I could join TRF to plan further as I dont really know what's legal and what's not, but the the simpler way is to ask for some help or info on the trails, but before I do and spend too much effort I could do with gauging interest.

I envisage it going something like.....meet at Jelly's cafe early on a Saturday to leave by say 9.30am. Camping for those that need it at the farm opposite. Then head to Edale for the official start at say 10am.

Route (mostly "B" or minor road) goes roughly:

Saturday: Glossop, Woodhead, Huddersfield, Hebden Bridge, Haworth, Barnoldswick (Pick up the little chappie), Malham, Hawes, Keld to Tan Hill Inn (highest pub in England). Overnight here, either camp, bunkhouse or B&B.

Sunday: Tan Hill Inn, Bowes, Alston, Haltwhistle, Military Road, Bellingham, Rothbury, Wooler, Kirk Yetholm. Overnight (although options seem limited in KY, so may need to go somewhere else after the official finish),

Monday: go our separate ways home.

I know it will depend on exactly when but (a) is it a good idea and would you come on it; (b) is it worth the extra effort of plotting some stretches of off road (bearing in mind you will be carrying full gear etc) and (c) if so can you can help with those off road sections, perhaps on a county by county basis - Derbys, South Yorks, Dales, Cumbria, Durham, Northumberland.

Whaddya reckon?

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Sounds like a plan Austin. Although my TRF membership has just lapsed I do know some tracks up this way and am quite happy to help with some leg work (wheel work?) and scope out the northern bit of the route - Tan Hill up to KY and try out a few campsites around the end of the route - might make for a couple of 'mini meets' in it's own right.

I wonder if Boris has some insider knowledge of potential off-road routes around the Cheviots? Just a thought.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Absofekinlootley ( depending on dates blah blah etc ) :thumbup:

Haven't a clue where all those places are, but sounds like good craic :D
When you say " pick the little chappie up ", does that mean Hudders will be coming along as well ? :D

Sorry, not much help with routing, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise.

Cheers Austin, looking forward to it :thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I'm interested. I am in the TRF.

Anyone who wants to ride trails needs those trails to be kept open in the face of hostile campaigning by ramblers, horsey types and councillors who think penalising vehicle owners makes them green. Only the TRF is fighting the legal battles to stop byeways being closed.

Yes you can currently benefit from the TRF without paying but without the numbers and resources the TRF will fail, the green lanes will all be closed to us and we will all have lost out. There will be no TRF because there will be no trails and no trail riders.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Sounds like an excellent plan

·
Registered
407 Posts
I know I could join TRF to plan further as I dont really know what's legal and what's not, but the the simpler way is to ask for some help or info on the trails, but before I do and spend too much effort I could do with gauging interest.

Whaddya reckon?
Join the TRF - I was being serious

It was the highlighted paragraph above that 'irked' me, you're suggesting an excellent idea but don't want to spunk £40 to join the leading rights body that has the knowledge of all the trails & fights for us to ride them

You could plan a good route using trail wise ( accessing it by using a special code from your TRF membership) then send it to each group's rights of way officer by email to check the latest position of the lanes you propose to ride

Once all that's done, you'd have a plan

I could give you loads of lanes in the Dales, but I'm not sure if each one is still legal & only the TRF can give you that info

So if you want to trailride please join the TRF , then all the info is yours & you're supporting everyone else who rides them

·
Registered
407 Posts
Are you offering to join, pay the fee and do all the research? Please feel free to do do and when finished post a helpful reply. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
I'm already a member, see my reply above as to why you should spend £40 to join

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm already a member, see my reply above as to why you should spend £40 to join
But I don't ride trails!!

I am planning what i think will be an interesting a ride out for the benefit of forum members. It will cost me a lot of my time to organise and plan I have to email and phone and sometimes visit people to negotiate for and arrange accomodation, food etc, plus I will probably ride the route at least once, probably more, to check its suitability and make sure I know where I am leading a group of expectant riders.

As I said, to add a bit of spice....for those interested we can link up some off road trails. The ride is perfectly viable without that added extra.

So, Johnny, if you are interested in the ride, and interested in doing some of the trails, and as a member of the TRF are prepared to HELP by advising on which trails are viable then please offer that help instead of suggesting how I should spend even more of my time and money to support something i am not that interested in so you or others can have a free trip at my expense.

I will be deleting all these off topic posts in a day or so as they unhelpful

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Austin,
See my post 8, that is my opinion on trailriding and why trailriders should be in the TRF, it's not everyone's view, but Whealie seems to agree too

As a member of the TRF, you can access Trailwise for planning a ride such as yours, it gives all the lanes and then you can compare them against an OS map, it will help you planning the route, no end

If your planning to ride all on Tarmac roads, then there's no need to join the TRF or even seek their advice

I'm not against what you're planning it sounds fab and something I may be interested in, depending on dates etc

Don't think I'm rubbishing what you are doing, it's a good idea and I replied to your 'Whaddya think' comment, with a sensible answer as it will help your planning

Our opinions may differ, but to the majority then there maybe merit in either

·
Hill Rider
3,070 Posts
Another Austin Adventure that I'd love to attend . . . . . that'll be a "YES" from me then :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm interested. I am in the TRF.

Anyone who wants to ride trails needs those trails to be kept open in the face of hostile campaigning by ramblers, horsey types and councillors who think penalising vehicle owners makes them green. Only the TRF is fighting the legal battles to stop byeways being closed.

Yes you can currently benefit from the TRF without paying but without the numbers and resources the TRF will fail, the green lanes will all be closed to us and we will all have lost out. There will be no TRF because there will be no trails and no trail riders.
Seconded, cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I asked 3 questions about this proposed rideout:

(a) is it a good idea and would you come on it;

(b) is it worth the extra effort of plotting some stretches of off road (bearing in mind you will be carrying full gear etc) (this question in the context of the trail ride being optional for those that wanted it) and

(c) if so can you can help with those off road sections, perhaps on a county by county basis - Derbys, South Yorks, Dales, Cumbria, Durham, Northumberland.

Nowhere did I ask about whether I should or should not join the TRF nor did I suggest that I was a trail rider (I am not). I did however ask for help planning the trail routes for (and by) those that wanted to do them.

Thanks to Jim, Steve, and Lowflyer for supporting this. I will leave it open for a few days to see how support goes, I don't mind investing time, effort and a bit of petrol to plan this but I am not paying £40 to join the TRF so I can plan routes that others will ride and I wont
:mad:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
that sounds like a great idea to me austin. I'm hopefully going to acquire a lighter machine this year as trail riding is increasingly appealing to me lately. I would even consider joining the TRF to get the most info that may help.

so whatever happens I'd deffo be up for something like this......perfect timing:thumb:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I asked 3 questions about this proposed rideout:

(a) is it a good idea and would you come on it;

(b) is it worth the extra effort of plotting some stretches of off road (bearing in mind you will be carrying full gear etc) (this question in the context of the trail ride being optional for those that wanted it) and

(c) if so can you can help with those off road sections, perhaps on a county by county basis - Derbys, South Yorks, Dales, Cumbria, Durham, Northumberland.

Nowhere did I ask about whether I should or should not join the TRF nor did I suggest that I was a trail rider (I am not). I did however ask for help planning the trail routes for (and by) those that wanted to do them.

Thanks to Jim, Steve, and Lowflyer for supporting this. I will leave it open for a few days to see how support goes, I don't mind investing time, effort and a bit of petrol to plan this but I am not paying £40 to join the TRF so I can plan routes that others will ride and I wont
:mad:

Fair point,

Sticking to the questions
A, yes it's a good idea, I'd come if available dependant on dates.
B, a few trails would be nice.
C, I'm sure that your knowledge of the roads round Lancashire is far better than mine but I'm happy to help if I can.
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Interested but it depends on a lot of things.Willits fall on one of my weekends off as I got no holidays left :toothy3:
Money-got lots of trips planned already

BUT

if all works out, count me in. Someone has to be there to give lowflyer a hand picking his bike up.

P.s. regards TRF. Just in case my family wants to invade again would joining the TRY mean we get decent maps this time ? :hitler:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Johnny,

the original question wasn't anything to do with wether or not somone should join the TRF, so unless you're going to make a constructive comment (ie - help with the route) please keep your opinions to yourself.

I am a TRF member, I was a group rep and I used to attend exec meetings but not everyone wants to be a member. If you want to ask why people on here aren't members, best to start your own thread.

If you start a thread like that I will quite happily join you in trying to convince all trail-riders why they should be TRF members.

Bob.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Interesting thread Austin, I am in the middle of planning a similar thing but riding the Fosseway from Exeter to Lincoln.

·
Hill Rider
3,070 Posts
Johnny, the original question wasn't anything to do with wether or not somone should join the TRF, so unless you're going to make a constructive comment (ie - help with the route) please keep your opinions to yourself.
2nd'd

Let Austin do what Austin does incredibly well - inspire & organise lesser beings to try something new & different.

Steve T

President of the Ausitn Fan Club (AFC)

:cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts