Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a book that may be of interest to soft roaders more Vara than XR.
The title is The Quiet Road by C Greenwood A5 format 72 pages.
It is a series of routes, tours of 80 to 150 miles, generally starting from Bath that generally went over country lanes- the quiet roads, in the mid west counties of Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Somerset and Dorset. The tours were originally published in the Wilts & Bath Evening Chronicle, in 1969 & 1970 were collated into this book.
Each route is shown as a simple map and described over 2 or 3 pages, giving directions and noting points of interest along and nearby the route. I was surprised by the road changes in some areas-Yeovil and building of the A303 and generally A roads becoming B roads and vice versa and some roads even becoming byways.
I have attached the plots of the routes that I put into Memory Map.
I have seen the book on Amazon @ 99p+P&P if you are looking for a copy.
Quiet roads.jpg
A zip file of the gpx tracks file for the routes from Memory Map the routes can be input into Tyre or Memory Map and probably other routing programs.
View attachment Quiet Roads.zip

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Oh thanks for this, right up my bimble street, next stop amazon.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Cost me a penny plus £2.80 postage. Come on postie, I'm waiting!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just loaded up a zip file containing a gpx file of the routes. See entry #1
Forum accepts zip but not gpx files.

·
Administrator
1,764 Posts
Cost me a penny plus £2.80 postage. Come on postie, I'm waiting!
I must have been ripped off, then... I was asked for 2 pence (+£2.80 p&p) :(

Really, I'm looking forward to receiving the book... I've a couple of old "motoring routes" books for South Wales... great fun comparing roads in the thirties with what we have now :D

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
I think we all share the same motoring mind set.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although not the 30's I was surprised at some of the changes from the 60's.
Nice day today so will try a route that combines some of the routes across the Mendips and the Levels and probably stop off at Riders in Bridgewater and Sedgemoor battle visitor centre.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Let us know how you get on, my old stomping ground for a few years.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Planned a route of 135 miles from Bath but ended up only doing about 85 miles of the planned route as I was running out of time. The first part over the hills south of Bath & Bristol was slow going as the lanes were muddy, narrow and twisty so I was only doing 30 mph or less, probably averaged 20 miles in the hour. South of Chew lake the roads had more visibility so could easier to go faster if required. Coming off the Mendips and the Levels were shrouded in low cloud/mist. Although the levels roads have greater visibility there are many right angle bends in them. Probably 25 miles in the hour. Did not get out of Bridgewater until after 1pm so decided to shorten the route and put in more main roads a I did not want to hit Bath in the rush hour. Went to the Sedgemoor Battle visitor centre in the church at Westonzoyland and lunched on the edge of the battlefield then headed home via Langport Somerton and some lanes.
If you are going to bimble I think an average of 20 mph in the hilly sections and 25-30 mph in the more open lanes and whatever you average on normal roads (35-40mph?) is what you need to plan on unless your making rally pace notes!
Although the lanes were quiet they were not traffic free, quite a few are posted cycle routes.
Some pics mendips levels.jpg

Attachments

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Thanks for posting, looks like you had proper Mendip and Level weather, I ran a farm for adults with learning difficulties right on Top of the Mendips above Wells, and the weather was often very different to the levels I'd circumvented (via the Polden ridge)
on the way from my village Woolavatory (well that's what we called it).
I also had a job down the levels at Mark (only good bit of that job was passing the cider farm on way home on a Friday night for the gut dissolving w'end stash, it was always great at this time of year as I would come down the hill and just see the odd church spire poking out of the mist in the morning.

Still waiting for my copy of the book to turn up :thumbup:

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
wahoo, arrived just now and looks a good little book, just need to sit down with it and some maps, oh and then find some time (and a pass) to try a few out. Well done speedy amazon (now just pay some more tax and let me use you with a clear conscious)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I had to go to Bideford Wednesday/Thursday I decided to do a bit of Quiet roads (QR). Motorway to Bridgewater south, rained most of the way but stopped as I came off the motorway. Then lanes across the Levels, I wanted to see the Westport canal and go along the Blackdown Hills to the Wellington Memorial. Went to a Vincent meeting at the memorial (in 1968 and decided I would picture my TA in front of the memorial where I had pictured my Comet 45 years ago. However vehicles cannot get near it now, so failed. Then continued on to do part of the Exmoor QR.
For the return took the main roads to the M5/N Devon Link road junction then across the Blackdown Hills to Chard then Forde Abbey Birdsmoorgate, Broadwindsor, Crewkerne, Ham Hill, Evercreech, Holcombe, Wellow, to Bath.
Quite a few 'green' lanes that's the ones with green down the middle, also slippery with the fallen leaves, glad I did it on the TA not the Harley.
Most of the Quiet Roads would not be as pleasurable in a car these days as they were in the 1960's, but possibly more ideal on a bike these days.
Bwater2barn.jpg Ndeon 2 Bath.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just ordered the book, downloaded the routes to my Garmin, just have to pack some butties and that a few weekend sorted.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Quiet Roads Wiltshire Berkshire
As it was bright and sunny and forecast to be mildish later and wife had gone shopping I decided to do some of the quiet roads to the east,
I had merged some of them into a combined route (No 5). This starts and finishes on the A46 north of the M4 Bath junction. The route runs through the southern Cotswolds around the south of Chippenham north through Calne up to cross the Ridgeway at Hackpen Hill then down to Marlborough. Then eastwards into .the chalk downs to Inkpen Hill. Return westwards roughly following the Kennet and Avon Canal to Melksham before turning northwards back to the A46 at Old Sodbury.
That was my plan, however when I got to the top of the Cotswold scarp it was foggy, well continue to A46 and decide what to do, still foggy so continued eastwards towards Swindon. If still foggy then could abort the ride and go to Blade MC and browse what I might ride in 10 years time!
Between Malmsbury and Swindon it cleared so I decided to join the original route at Broad Town then up Hackpen Hill.
Slide4.JPG
Stopped at Great Bedwyn wharf for a stretch then continued to Inkpen Hill had lunch there. Cold yesterdays pizza and cold cola on a cold stone seat, sunny to the west and a bank of fog to the east of Newbury. Homeward bound plans upset as the road from Pewsey to Alton Barnes was closed, followed the diversion then decided that I should head for home so went to Avebury and Broad Town then home. Encountered the fog again near Malmsbury.
Most of the roads were quiet, most were wider and better surfaced, easier, than the routes I did south and west of Bath. In dryer weather would not be a problem with Harley or similar lump. A good variation of scenery Cotswold and chalk downlands and the river valleys, assorted villages, a few small towns, the canal and canal side pubs, the Crofton Steam engines, green lanes close by if you must get muddy
. Slide2.JPG

Attachments

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one Dod,thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another sunny day so I did the first part of the quiet road that was fogbound on Tuesday. From the A46 Hawksbury crossroads to Castle Combe including some Foss Way(surfaced) unsurfaced parts quite close. At Castle Combe you have options of looking around the village, doing Summer Lane, paved and/or green lane going to the race circuit where there if often testing or track days to watch during the weekdays or just driving through avoiding the tourists. I then diverted off the Quiet Road route to Biddestone at Ford to go through Slaughterfod, tiny lanes to and from also a short green lane that actually looked better than the 'surfaced' lanes and a stretch of flooded lane on the high ground near Biddestone.
On to Lacock past a Railway Recovery Depot the sign said- lots of empty sidings and heaps of rubble a railway scrap yard?. Lacock has the Abbey with Harry Potter film and early photographic connections. Leaving Lacock crossed the Avon which was just flooding the surrounding fields.
Then towards Calne, they have a Bike Saturday in late July along a bit of A4 then into the lanes to Clyff Pypard up the steep hill to Broad Hinton to join Tuesday's portion of the Quiet Road route.
part1.jpg

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Nice one Dave,I bought the book for 99p after reading your first post. Lots of quiet roads that I know and some I don't, if you fancy a riding partner I usually have Fridays free as long as I'm home by 16.00hrs :D

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Gonna have to rename this 'Dod's book of quiet roads, loving the pictures, keep em coming.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I noticed on the local TV news the location I took the Barrowbridge picture #12 was well under water, at last someone may now be doing something for the unfortunate local residents.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts