Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a thought when i am running v low on me petrol on main tank my pump starts to tick because it is being starved of petrol the ticking get louder more it gets starved, then switch it to reserve tank and all is well again ....... well i reckon that it cant be doing the pump much good and hencce the reason why they don't last long ! what u do think R2 :shock:

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
c stillythemanwivnowilly said:
well i reckon that it cant be doing the pump much good and hencce the reason why they don't last long ! what u do think R2 :shock:
yeah mate that is the exact reason why they don't last, there is a fair few topics on this as it seems to be the AT's only main problem. Ohhh and the output bearing if your chain is to tight!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Maverick said:
it seems to be the AT's only main problem. Ohhh and the output bearing if your chain is to tight!
Ahhh and wheels rotting. And rectifiers failing. And brake calipers seizing up. And chokes getting sticky. And clutches clattering. And frames getting rusty. :roll:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
robelst said:
And frames getting rusty. :roll:
Only frames?

-Exhaustpipes vibrating loose
-Binding brakes
-Flat rear tyre
-Carb inlet rubbers coming loose
-Parts missing in front forks
-do I need to go on?

Oh, and the latest, valve cover gasket starting to leak oil....

Don't you just love your bike.. :D
T.

·
Registered
359 Posts
robelst said:
Maverick said:
it seems to be the AT's only main problem. Ohhh and the output bearing if your chain is to tight!
Ahhh and wheels rotting. And rectifiers failing. And brake calipers seizing up. And chokes getting sticky. And clutches clattering. And frames getting rusty. :roll:
:lol: Hmm...

Who knows if the 650 pump is the same as the 750 pump? They have different part numbers, but are they running different flow rates and such. I'd like to replace my fuel pump and keep the old one on the bike for a spare. I'd also like to use that Facet pump, but that mod was done on the 750 only. A cheap to buy pump would be wonderful. :wink:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Your right. When the pump is starved like that you can hear the 'welding'
happening from the contacts.

Thomas Hedlunds approach in the 'Articles' column is the way to go IF your starting out with a new OEM pump or if your contacts are in relatively good shape. Wiring in his relay or some sort of capacitor to eliminate the sudden electrical surge and arcing these contacts have to endure will prolong the pump for a long, long time.

Alternative...the Facet pump. Solid state electrics...no contacts.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Who knows if the 650 pump is the same as the 750 pump? They have different part numbers, but are they running different flow rates and such. I'd like to replace my fuel pump and keep the old one on the bike for a spare. I'd also like to use that Facet pump, but that mod was done on the 750 only. A cheap to buy pump would be wonderful. :wink:
Mod,
The Haynes manual states the min. flow rate req'd is 900cc per min...on the 750. I'm sure the Facet 40105 would suffice for your 650 or enough to keep your bowls full. Its a low pressure pump, and thats what you want. Otherwise you will have overflow and dripping fuel as i had on the 40106 where pump pressure was obviously too high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts