1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what is it you say?

Simples says I! Contentment.

Being content with your lot is the answer. :D

Friday night, finished work for the week, Fiona's here with me in the flat, cozy.
I'm sitting having a cup of coffee with a slice of buttered wholemeal toast covered with smoked salmon, I've had a couple of whiskies from my vast collection so just fancied a snack :thumbup:. (Also have shortbread!)
Tomorrow Fiona's working and she's taking the Beemer to work so I'm faced with the choice of fix the KLE500 or wash the Mighty Varadero to go for a run in God's country! If it isn't as nice as forecast, Fiona will take the new Astra SXi sportshatch to work and I'll take the Landrover into Elgin for a browse around the shops, perhaps in past the bike dealers,,,.

We're considering buying a holiday home next month, cash, as we have a bit of savings. Neither of us have any debt, whatsoever, a great position to be in in these times. We're not rich by any standards, Fiona works for Asdas and I work as an engineer for a local oil and gas company but live very well considering our meagre earnings (under £40K).

I posted this up to highlight life isn't always bad, in fact it can be so damned good! With the right people in your life, ( I think the world of my Fiona) and a bit of good luck, life can be sweet! I'm going to wash my Varadero tomorrow and take it for its first run of the year coz the weather IS going to be good!
Thanks for reading my drunken little feelgood rant, I'm just feeling happy this week, nothing special but passed my first aid course this week (again, 3rd time) and spring's in the air!!!! Fiona,,, Fiona,,, where are you? Is it early to bed tonight???? Fnar fnar!!!!!

Enjoy life out there folks, life here in the Jewel of Moray is fantastic!

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
What a wonderful post Jim, contentment, sadly not all of us are so lucky, but good luck with the holiday home and the rest of your life with Fiona :thumbup:.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much Sir, I appreciate not everyone has it so good, I was at the bottom of the barrel 4yrs ago, partner left me after 24yrs with massive debts and in an old crumbling farmhouse.
I've managed to crawl back up the foodchain and enjoy life again. The 1st aid support is simply my way of paying back the world for my good fortune and am a stronger person for it.
The holiday home is a new endeavour, our 1st time at a property auction! Starting price is £25,000 with a valuation of £40,000. In the current climate we're hoping it won't make a lot! No sweat if it doesn't work out, just an idea!:thumbup:

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Good on yer Jim, I hope it works out for you and Fiona, just don't get carried away with the auction, its worth what its worth, no more :)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Jim you old rascal.

Chipper post that. Good luck to you mate.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Feel good Friday posts get my vote. :thumbup:

Long may they and your contentment last Jim. :D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
+1. Nice to see a positive attitude.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Look, I already reported in my "movie reviews" thread that I'm slowly turning into a soft wuss, and cry at any opportunity, so stop it!!

That post was like watching the "Shawshank Redemption" again, now go away and be happy!!!!!!

Nice one :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Good post Jim,

It's nice when a plan comes together.

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
I'll raise a glass to that too, from way across the seas!:thumbup::D

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's true, life is what you make it. I was made redundant 12 months ago and after the initial shock I decided to start working for myself. Guess what? I took the lions share of my former employers business with me and although it's no bed of roses I'm my own boss and answer to no one other than myself. I too have a very supportive wife who helps me every step of the way. She had no idea of accounts / book keeping but she has learnt and I admire her for it. We all control our own lives and if you don't like it do something about it. Feel much better for that!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I struggled for years in the building trade, trying to keep a roof over the familly's heads, food on the table and keep up with the Jones'. Then one Thursday morning I woke to a bit of a dilema, the doctor appeared, the ambulance then turned up and I was diagnosed as having a myocardial infarction (heart attack). This followed by my partner packing up and disappearing led me to an all time low.:confused:
I then turned to IT, this was to be my "taking it easy" following the building trade! Easy perhaps physically, stress? Well! Eight years on an IT support desk, starting wage was £10,500, how on earth do you live on that? Well, surprisingly enough, you do! I climbed the ladder over the yrs to support desk manager then to operations manager and the wages rose accordingly. I then decided I wanted a change, so started at the bottom of the ladder yet again, as an engineer with Gleaner oil & gas locally, but I am happy and will continue to progress with this new vocation.
The main thing I'm trying to say is,,,,, always striving is hard work, learning to be content with what you have or can afford is when you look at life and feel happy with your lot. Yes, Fiona has a lot to do with that, being a company 1st aider means I can help others and my religion has seen me through the hard times. I'm grateful for my lot and happy with it. I can only hope some of you on here can look at your lot and see how good you really have it, and perhaps feel better within yourselves. :thumbup:

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Jim good posts, nice 1 mate :thumb:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one Jim :thumbup:

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts