Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all.

Not been on for a while. Domestic duties, and a new very full on job has kept me away, but it's nice to be back.

I stopped using my Transalp daily in my old job when they moved my office from Harrow to central London. With a new job and a shorter commute I'm still not using it. It's daft to just have it sitting there not being used.

I've just checked and to my infinite shame the last MOT ran out August 2010 :eek:

So what to do?

I started to fettle it to put it back on the road last year but now have no time do do anything else.

Do I sell as is, break it? (perhaps for the Excel rim'd wheels - see below) or try and find the time to fettle it? (which is doubtful !?)

I'd welcome opinions to value of:
  • Value as is
  • Value of the wheels alone
  • Value of it broken
  • and value of it MOT'd would be much welcomed.
Thoughts welcomed. It's been a fantastic daily hack and I'd be gutted to break it. In a perfect world I'd keep it, strip it, stove the frame and swing arm white, and fettle it to within an inch of it's life, but sadly I need the cash and have no time :( so what do you suggest please?

Details and pics below
Cheers all,

nice to be back

Nick

Bike details and pics

It's a purple/ silver 1991 XL600VN on a J plate. Imported from France in 1996 and I bought it from a forum member. Said Forum member lived in Cornwall so it had suffered from the ravages of salt air.

71858 KM recorded

I've never tackled the cosmetics, and since I bought it in Dec 2008, I've done about 30,000 miles on it! It only let me down once when it conked out 5 miles from home with no fuel getting through. on taking the carb off and tip it up a blade fuse fell out! Somewhat remarkably it seems that the fuse had been dropped down the carb (by a previous keeper) and going over a big bump had dislodged it to block the fuel flow. An easy fix!

The Good points

Soon after I got it I realised the rims were rotten so I had the wheels rebuilt with new black Excel rims and spokes by Talon at a cost of £489.67 in May '09.
  • It's got a new TKC80 rear tyre and a fairly new TKC80 front tyre
  • It's got a DID 'O' ring chain and sprockets that are fairly unworn (I think)
  • It's just had new HEL Black covered braided brake lines and a new HEL rear brake reservoir. (Cheaper and neater reservoir than the stock one).
  • Renthal bars
  • Barkbuster hand guards (and screen trimmed to fit).
  • Oxford heated grips
  • Odyssey battery
  • Recent replacement (pattern) seat cover
  • Micron can (nice tone but not too intrusive)
  • 12v socket - fitted but not yet wired in.
  • Neoprene fork gaiters
Bad points
  • Currently no MOT or Tax
  • Brakes not bled
  • Not run for a while (but not tried to start it) probably a year or so
  • On removing the front mudguard and front fort brace some of the bolts snapped - some are drilled out but on one tthe stud extractor broke off so that needs sorting.
  • Some of the bodywork fittings are past their best
  • Exhaust heat shield held on with a jubilee clip
  • Think it needs a new speedo drive cog - it eats then with monotonous regularity
  • Seal between Micron can and intermediate pipe is currently exhaust sealant after the 'exhaust sealing ring' (not sure what it's really called) faile
pics (taken today)
Front mudguard and plastic bashguard not shown but are with the bike.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Oh Nick oh Nick oh Nick! Where have you been keeping it?! Such a pretty bike bike I don't like the look of some o that rust...

With any luck an OCD restorer with time on his hands will swing by soon.

Hope you're keeping well,

Philip

(PS, still enjoying the stupidly fast Audi estate?)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Philip,

I'm well thanks, hope you are too.

Mostly just very yukky surface rust that's got under the paint..... :( Thank you Mr Honda for very thick steel swingarms..... (looks for the sheepish smiley....)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice looking alp, but yea defo needs a strip down and re-powdercoat / painted frame n swing arm. At least to get rid of the rust

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
This recently listed bike should give you a direct comparison.....it doesn't bode well for your valuation unfortunately
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bikes-sale-wanted/83502-transalp-600-full-adventure-kit-absolutely-everything-you-need-1000-a.html
I would have thought that you would make more money breaking it but thats a lot of hassle and you end up being left with all the bits nobody wants.
there must be getting on £300 in the wheels alone.
if you could have made some time for it a little bit of tidying up (getting rid of some of that rust )and an MOT would make it far more attractive to potential buyers

·
Registered
49 Posts
I beleive bikes without an MOT are £500 sobs or less unless its something "special"

There was a recent AT on fleebay with 70k on the clock that was going for 1k but needed body work.

The rust would scare a percentage or people, but then so would a recent respray in some respects if the rest didnt look the same.
Kind of a "rock & a hard place" situation.

understandably you dont want to put money or too much into something you want to sell on.

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Did you find that bike in the sea?

The rust bug bites hard in your neck of the woods it would seem, which is a real shame.

Looking at what you've got there, I'd say you'd have a fair few customers for the wheels, who would have done their homework and would be prepared to pay probably half to two thirds of what you did to get them.

After selling the wheels, you're going to sell the odd part or two, like bodywork, switchgear, and possibly the engine depending on it's condition; but then you're gonna be left with a pile of parts that are hard to shift and just take up space in the garage and are bloody heavy to move around all over the place.

So, what I'm trying to say is, I reckon you're better off either fixing it, or selling it complete. The pics of that rust would certainly put me off, but others would perhaps cherish an easy'ish project bike.

Sorry!

;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd have replied earlier but I was hypnotised by BobA's gif :tongue5:

It's a shame there's no one in your area after a project, yes the rust looks bad but that's a powder coating job. Everything will have to come off for that to happen and it'll be a straightforward job to clean everything up or replace the knackered bits before putting it all back together again.

Don't get me wrong, whoever does this won't make a lot of profit from this but they will end up with a relatively tidy bike, with all parts greased and working as they should for less money than buying one that's already been fettled (or bodged up and given a coat of WD40 to make it shiney for the eBay pic)

If I wasn't at the other end of the country this would have been a potential for this winters project bike.

I hope it goes to a good home as it looks too good to be stripped for parts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As a guide my cb500 refirb cost me about £700, but that was about 7 years ago. This is just a guide as ad the whole bile shot blasted and powder-coated and sprayed.

But at least then I knew that as you say everything was put back together correctly tightened and fully greased up everywhere.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the replies.

Yes it is too good to break and that's be a shame. With a powdercoat/paint to the frame and swingarm and some fettling she'd be a different machine.

I was thinking it's worth about £700 - £800 with an MOT, and I was thinking hoping there was about £300 in the wheels/tyres. If i could get near to £500 for it as is, then I'd take it, as I've no got the time to fettle it, and then MOT'ing it, sorting out insurance cover to do so, etc for £200-£300 isn't really worth it I think.

Time to write a for sale ad and see if anyone's interested as is....

Thanks again all,

Nick

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks all for the replies.

Yes it is too good to break and that's be a shame. With a powdercoat/paint to the frame and swingarm and some fettling she'd be a different machine.

I was thinking it's worth about £700 - £800 with an MOT, and I was thinking hoping there was about £300 in the wheels/tyres. If i could get near to £500 for it as is, then I'd take it, as I've no got the time to fettle it, and then MOT'ing it, sorting out insurance cover to do so, etc for £200-£300 isn't really worth it I think.

Time to write a for sale ad and see if anyone's interested as is....

Thanks again all,

Nick
That AT on ebay mentioned earlier went for £1790 in the end so you may want to consider that when pricing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts