Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Recycler 
#1 ·
Well my trusty Vectra SRI has finally kicked the bucket. After 120 000 miles of hooning around the West Coast roads of Scotland, I've decided to part company with the old girl. Time for a change, so I went and bought this little beauty

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Full-size car

Picked her up in Newcastle last weekend, absolute corker, Skoda Octavia VRS on a 12 plate.
170 Brake and lighter than the Vectra, should be an absolute hoot to thrash around the West Coast, bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing ;)

Know it's not bike related, but hey ho, I've got the chuffies :thumbright:

Funnily enough, I put the vectra in for a Mot last month at the local garage in Portree, know the guys in there pretty well. Went in to pick her up when the lads were having their tea in the garage canteen.
Tommy the mechanic was sitting at the table, he is a nice guy, but doesn't say a great deal and I knew it was Tommy who carried out the mot.

I strolled in

" Hey Tommy, How did the old girl do "
" Failed " he replied, his eyes fixed on what I can only assume to be page 4 of the "Star" :grin:
" How do you mean failed ? "
" Two broken springs "
" How did that happen then ?"

" Might be an idea to keep all four wheels on the deck at the same time " he declared, again, his eyes transfixed to the newspaper :grin:

I looked up and all the guys were in stitches, they know I grift a bit and I was obviously going to be the butt of their jokes for a bit of a while.

I shall miss the vectra, we had great times together.
I am treating the Skoda with kid gloves at present, first run to the West tomorrow.

I wonder how long it will be before I open her up ??

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice one John

Just put my SEAT ALHAMBRA up on auto trader 248000 miles, dead reliable and has almost 12 months tax and MOT. Sad to see it go as I was wanting to get to at least 300000 miles

#5 ·
Maybe I should come up there with the ex's ST170, same brake but lighter than a Skoda. :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:

Andy.

Will it go faster if your ex is in the car with you ?? :D:D

You wouldn't have bought a Skoda 30 years ago, funny how things change :-D
I know Bob, first one I saw was a Skoda Estelle and what a piece of s**t it was too. My then neighbour had one, think you kept it for 5 yr and then chucked it :D

On a positive, this car is really good for these roads, haven't quite managed to chuck it around as I did with the Vectra, but give me time ;):D

#6 · (Edited)
Nice One John,

Very impressed, a Skoda Octavia VRS, fab motor, very quick & responsive I'm sure you'll get some "big air" at some time.

We have the Octavia 4 x 4 Estates & the Octavia Scouts Estates as Rapid Response Cars in our Ambulance Service, they must be good motors if the Emergency Services are using them.

They are a good tool & certainly do the job especially with the amount of kit we carry in them, reliable good mpg & comfortable too.

I've just traded in my Volvo V70 Estate on a "W" plate with 216,000 miles on the clock for a Volvo XC 70 so a good time will be had by all.

Enjoy your Octavia VRS mate.

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Transport Emergency vehicle

#7 ·
My grandad had 2 skoda estelles in the early 80's, he had them for years and the only thing that ever broke on them was a fan belt on the second car he had. I was very young then but remember he bought them both brand new

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.